Engine mods for the 4runner?

Guest blueski02

Guest blueski02

Hey i was thinking about doing some engine mods for the 4runner just to give it a little more kick, or some kick. It seems to lack now. Its a 3 litre V-6. I don't know what to do, i have some friends who rock crawl, and thats what i am going to get into, i wondered if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks.

MIKE B.

You want to mod your Toyota huh? Check out Downey Off Road. They're big into Toyotas. Rock crawling is a viscious form of off roading, I never saw much fun in it for all the damage you do, but have fun~ Plan on bigger axles, driveshafts, front IFS removal if yours has it if you get really serious, etc. Oh, and for rock crawling many people run small motors... you don't need hp, just low low gearing. If you want more hp on the street, do headers/exhaust and free intake to start, those are the easiest ways to make power on a stock motor. I don't know if the supercharger for the late model trucks (Factory TRD, about $3000) works on your motor or not. 260 hp on the motor it was intended for. Oh, and most importantly, be ready to bash the shit out of all your body panels! ;) Seriously, hope you have fun, just hope you know what you're getting into w/o wasting thousands of dollars like me smile.gif

[ 03 May 2002, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: 1Slow7 ]

Guest blueski02

Thanks, i have a catalog coming from there, looks like some fun stuff. I wondered why they were all running 4 cylinder engines. Interesting. Thanks for the input.

MIKE B.

Be careful with modding the 3.0l V6. It's known to occasionally blow a head gasket. That's another reason why most Toyota rock crawlers use the 22R four cylinder, it's been a solidly reliable engine for over 30 years.

Not to say you can't build the 3.0, but may want to consider installing metal head gaskets along with any other mods you do.

Guest blueski02

I will let you know if i am going to sell it, i want to get the body work done, then suspension, then engine, it should be mint and have a 3 inch suspension lift and 33 inch tires by the end of the summer. I have to get out and see you guys sometime too, my roommate gets out but i have been kinda busy.thanks for the help.

MIKE B