240sx - Silvia conversion

KlubFoot

Hey, I am looking to buy a s14 240sx and turning it into a s14 Silvia clone. I have a few ideas of how to go about this starting with an s14 sr20det and an s15 6 speed tranny, but where should i go from there? Also... does anyone know where I could find one of these engines and where I could get it installed for a good price? What kind of mods should I do if i swap in the sr20det? Thanks for any help.

Taran

www.srswap.com ($2400 shipped last i checked, one of the best prices u'll get) for information about the swap and they've had A LOT of experience doing the actual swap. u can go to www.freshalloy.com or www.zilvia.net for information about upgrades and such. about the 6-speed swap... just stick with the regular 5-speed, its stronger and a lot of people with 6-speeds switch to 5-speeds cause of that. u can IM me at Morgan1774 or PM me if u have any questions and i'll try and help u out

EDIT: actually i just refreshed my memory and the 6-speeds good up till 400hp or so. so unless u're planin on heavily modding the SR u can enjoy the 6-speed, it might cost u though, i don't know how much those run cause all i've looked at were redtops and blacktops with 5-speeds

http://www.geocities.com/slidesquads13/srspecs.html

[ 05 May 2002, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Morgan ]

Guest extheflow
don't forget the KA is a very potent motor when turbocharged as well.. it's a little involved if you plan on running a big turbo or high boost or both. but thats what i'm doing right now on my 96. if you're getting an S14. odds are the motor will be fairly fresh. and with it's iron block and almost a half a litre more displacement. it's hard to argue wich motor is better.costwise it's probably easier on the wallet to simply swap in a redtop and get a frontmount. but for higher hp levels i think you're better off turboing the ole' KA. it won't be a silvia, but it'll be fast.

• 7 months later...

http://palpatine.infinitedata.net/~jweber/pics/pj2.mpeg

The car in the video has a turbo ka24 in it, however I think he has a few more interesting things done to it than just a simple turbo kit. ;) If you want I think I still have his email laying around somewhere and I can give it to you.

edit: also forgot to mention they are stupid for doing those things in that car in the middle of traffic but that doesnt detract from the cool factor of the car.

-jeff

[ 29 December 2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: fush ]

Guest Ranger_Man

also, doing the s14 -> silvia conversion is easy since all we really need is the motor. unlike the s13 chassis, the s14 *looks* just like the japanese model.

as a side note, id say stick with the 5 speed. the 6 speed will run you mad cash that could be much better spent on other fun things.

as for where to go after the engine, i would get new suspension, rotors and brakes. for mods to the engine start with basics, intake, and exhaust (apexi's are really nice). the stock turbo on the s14 engine are good up to 15 psi which with bolt ons and boost controller, will net you ~250 hp. if you want more than that then you will need a new turbo, of which there are many to choose from.

edit: if you want to go a different route you can do a rb20det (skyline r32 engine) which can be bought here: http://www.venus-auto.com/special.htm for $1000. in the end the cost will probably end up being about the same since you will need some custom work.

[ 29 December 2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Ranger_Man ]