WTB: Paint Job

Guest CTPirate

Guest CTPirate
I'd like to get my car painted black. So far the cheapest I've heard for it being done right (paint stripped and then car painted) is $3000. Does anyone know of somewhere or someone who can do it cheaper?

I don't understand why it is so expensive. Isn't paint like around $100/gal? How many gal will a car need? Is it all labor? I just don't get it. I need my car painted but I can't pay that much money for it.

Originally posted by 360 IROC:

i buy paint at prices from 15 dollars a pint to 117 a pint. gallons of paint depending on what they are can be any where from 70 to 500. i just did a lexus and a gallon of paint for it was 423.11 Kameleon is going for about 450 a quart right now.

And yes it is mostly labor as ALL of the end result in paint work is tied to the quality of the preperation of the car prior to picking up a paint gun. Yes you can find a guy to paint the car for 500 or so but you gotta look at his results on other stuff before you go for it, becouse unless he is for example like Rolla and anal about what he will let leave his shop, then you end up with a car worth less than before you had it painted.

the paint is the only supplies required...

supplies alone for an entire car can run upwards of a grand. Unless you go to MAACO, but they won't even sand your car down first.

Kevin is right, unless you are taking it to someone that is bored and going to paint the car in their barn, 3 grand is not going to include stripping the entire car. Which isn't neccessary. However, even without stripping the entire car down to metal, there is a huge amount of time spent on prep. If someone isn't willing to spend the time to prep a car right, you will never be happy with the end result.

BTW, 3 grand for an entire car, just a solid color, nothing special, is an average price. The people on here that paint may go under that, but that's hookup territory you will be entering.