Opinions please [rant. pissed off]

Guest infamous me 235

Sam I don't care what shop it is at, 6 months is way to long to have a car I have not seen anyone say anything bad about them in this thread, just that at this point a secound option is a good idea. I would understand this if I was in there shoes so I would think they would as well.

to start off i want to say that on behalf of everyone at ips we are very sorry that this ever had to get this far.

i have had countless hours in assembling and installing cody's engine and transmission, and there are many problems that i have encountered that have been overlooked in his quick post.

i will elaborate some more tomorrow, seeing as how i have to get some sleep

I did not personally build the car. I bought the car like that. I have had dsm'ers look at it before and those things were never pointed out to me. If the experts says so then I guess that's that. I could not tell what I do not know about.

I'd like to know if IPS has diagnose and determin what the problem was. They should have that is. If they had, why was the repair not done for the noise to go away?

There's always 2 sides to a story. It'd be good to hear the other.

Originally posted by buckeye:

Sam I don't care what shop it is at, 6 months is way to long to have a car I have not seen anyone say anything bad about them in this thread, just that at this point a secound option is a good idea. I would understand this if I was in there shoes so I would think they would as well.

we totally agree. if cody feels that he is being taken advantage of in any way he has every right to take it to get a second opinion.

just as an fyi to everyone up in arms about the extra work, we gave him several items that absolutely need done. and recomended several others. i have done hours worth of work already that we aren't even charging for.

that being said, i will tell the whole story in the morning so that everyone will have a better idea of what is going on.

Originally posted by Mr. 2:

I did not personally build the car. I bought the car like that. I have had dsm'ers look at it before and those things were never pointed out to me. If the experts says so then I guess that's that. I could not tell what I do not know about.

I'd like to know if IPS has diagnose and determin what the problem was. They should have that is. If they had, why was the repair not done for the noise to go away?

There's always 2 sides to a story. It'd be good to hear the other.

agreed, give me 5 hours of sleep :(

if its the original alternator and starter then its due anyway car being 14 years old i just did my starter and alt and they were the original.

as for the other problems. if they need fixed then get them fixed, dont just run away because its a little more than you asked for. end of story

sam, i know theyre your homies, but for real man, dont be so sensitive. shit, i called three or four different shops just to get prices on SPRINGS! its completely natural to want a second opinion on serious stuff like this.

the other thing is, ips has been poorly represented on this board, for the most part. there have been a few, uh, awkward situations, and theyve been plastered all over here like so much dirty laundry. you have to believe that anyone dealing with ips who has access to this board is going to hold them to an extra high standard from here on out. and that probably includes seeking other opinions, shopping around, etc. its not always personal, sam. theres money involved here.

i, for one, am not going to pass judgement until i hear both sides.

Originally posted by The Vette:

no I do all my own work.

Well Im glad you do all of your own work. But for the people that dont do their own work, having a car in the shop forever with new problems every week I would suggest getting a second opinion.

Forget that this involves IPS...anyone remember a certain Viper shop that went under not to long ago for similar sounding reasons?

-Marc

Guest infamous me 235

ok first off, this thread was no way intended on my part to bash IPS what so ever. It was merely posted to see if I should just sell the damn car or fix it.

I'm getting a 2nd opinion, b/c I don't know anyone who wouldn't, all my friends tonight while playing poker just said to get one to make sure. If it does need fixed, i'll probably just sit it in my back yard and buy the parts that need fixed as I get more money. I have the money to go ahead and let IPS fix what needs to be done, but it's pushing it especially with a shitty ass job that I have.

Now for responding....

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS,OR ASS:

I'll take a look at it for ya. if anything I can just show you how to fix it. if you don't have money to pay labor thats where the biggest fees often come in. it isn't rocket science with a good shop manual and a decent set of tools anyone can fix up a car.

pm me if you want a hand

I bought a 1G manual at autozone not too long ago. I'm sure it will tell me how to do it. I have no tools what so ever, they were all in my garage and we all know where that went. (Up in flames) Get a couple guys who know what they're doing, get greasy, i'm sure I can just get it done like that. First, I just need to see what all needs to be replaced and buy those parts. I'll definitley give you a shout when the time comes, same as you "buckeye."

Buckeye - I might possibly need it to get it from IPS to my house but i'm not sure. They said I need 20 lugnuts because most of them are all bad and wouldn't recommend driving it awhile. I KNOW I need at least 5 for the front driver side, that's self explanatory. I bought new wheels (they purdy) and in the process of getting atleast 10 lugnuts from CDSM. Your number is in my cell phone right now. What is yor first name again? I know it will ring a bell b/c i bought a damn total gym off you like a year ago (which i've used once redface.gif )

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS,OR ASS:

I'm not knocking anyones shop, but if I got quoted a high price I'd want two or three other places to look at it first to make sure. all I offered was to maybe save a board member a few bucks by helping him fix it himself. anything wrong with that?

I appreciate it tremendously that you will offer to help in fixing my car. I see nothing wrong with that. Thank you Dave.

Originally posted by Orion:

sam, i know theyre your homies, but for real man, dont be so sensitive.

This doesnt bother me at all, its just that its so easy to talk bad about someone when that person(s) cant even read the board or reply in any way cause they are not allowed on the board. Hell I think Mike is the only one left on here. Yes the IPS guys are my friends that is why I am trying to help them get their story out there since they cant do it.

Just a little background from IPS' perspective. Every penny of additional expense save for 2 hours of labor was due to bad parts, wrong parts, damaged parts, or unusable parts that needed exchanged or replaced starting with the entire block and rods. The ticking sound is still there due to what probably looks like a bad UR pulley. I told Cody to swap it out with a stock one and were pretty sure it will go away or we would do it for a nominal fee and know for sure before he picks the car up. Still his call. There have been somewhere in the 50 hour range (afraid to actually go back and add them all up) of time spent fixing broken bolts, horrible wiring, stripped holes, mis-matched parts, and countless other pre-existing problems that have not and will not be charged for just because were trying to stay as close to the original quote as possible. Ive seen pretty rough DSMs and have owned a few but this one takes the cake. The scary thing isnt what all weve done but what still needs done to get the car somewhere in the vacinity of "reliable" or even safe to drive any distance from home. Ive called Cody and gone over the entire list of parts--those ranging from "you HAVE to replace this now" to many that we STRONGLY reccommend you replace to those that it would probably be a good idea to replace and so on. So far weve only replaced parts that were vital in making sure the car would start and run and operate enough to get from point A to point B. PERIOD.

As for getting 2nd opinions. Cody can take the car to get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions all day long. Ive got $100 sitting down at the shop if each place he takes it to doesnt find ATLEAST as many problems as we have if they really look around.

i'm not hating on IPS either...personally i like ricky,and jeff is my neighbor,but i do my own work as well.and if something is out of my range of ability or resources.then let someone elses take care of it(for example rebuilding the bottom end)but as far as the starter and alternator goes...thats my job.

Guest powers
When I bougt my dsm last year with in a months time i replaced the starter, power stearing pump, alt, Battery, Clutch slave cly, clutch lines, brakes, water pump, timing belt, all the drive belts, And i drove that car home and around for a little while. DSM's just have problems, when you buy one if you are wanting it to be right you HAVE to have all the systems on the car working right. And 1k is less than i paid to do the things above myself. Also anytime you have an engine out of a car isn't it time to replace as much as your budget allows? I would assume these repairs were suggested to him. What would happen if they said nothing a week later the starter gave out he called the shop up and said why didn't you tell me this thing was a peice of shit you just had it apart a week ago. No they are telling him so that when the car has issues they are covered like any good repair shop would do. You already have the car there just have them fix it so you know you have a car that will run and be right. If the money is the issue just make payments and pick the car up when you have the bill covered. It's better than having the car sit in a yard for 6 months.

Guest infamous me 235
Well I can get discounted parts from NAPA so when I get the car, i'll just order everything from them and have someone help install it. I have plenty of people to help and I will let you know when the time comes.

Sam, Ricky is still available for comment on CR and always has been, same with Jeff. However, Brett and Ben are not. The only issue Ricky or Jeff may have is that the IPS IP has been banned due to information received from IP logs concerning stolen CR Mod account information.

Ricky and Jeff may post all day from their homes if they so desire, and I know they'll see this post. But if not, pass this info on to them. However, there will be no IPS vs me topics, as we're past that stage and they know this too.

I will admit, my "2nd opinion" comment was not only recommended as a regular suggestion, but it comes from personal experience with IPS. There were a few things they "recommended" to me, to which I'd passed because similar vehicle owners had suggested otherwise. Let's just say, some of these requests were ignored and problems occurred in due course.

So from a personal experience standpoint with this particular shop, I feel that other individuals faced with "recommendations" deserve a 2nd opinion from an independant business that specializes in automotive mechanics.

Guest infamous me 235

wow, i did not mean for this thread to get this far.

so what is it?

Keep the car and fix it or just sell it to some me-hee-can

And, is having a fast car worth it? I want some opinions, is boost that great? It was fun driving my car once and hitting boost, but idk if its worth it.

Depends on what the problem is. Have Dave or Scott look at it, and make a decision based on the price of parts and how comfortable you feel doing some self-repairs.

And boost is great. Come out some night and I'll take ya for a ride (after I become non-N/A again) :D

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by N/A Again:

Depends on what the problem is. Have Dave or Scott look at it, and make a decision based on the price of parts and how comfortable you feel doing some self-repairs.

And boost is great. Come out some night and I'll take ya for a ride (after I become non-N/A again) :D

I can get discounted parts form NAPA through my g/f's uncle. SO that will def. save me some bucks. I have the Haynes DSM manual and it doesnt seem TOO hard to fix some things. I'd just feel better having someone who knows what they are doing help me. If it does come down to just getting someone to help, like watching over hwat i'm doing and just showing me what to do, i'll buy dinner and i'll have my mom make a beer run for you guys.

well, who knows when i'll be out anthony. friday, my sister gets her license and the 240sx which in turn, i get the saturn with the duct taped trunk :cool:

Originally posted by N/A Again:

Sam, Ricky is still available for comment on CR and always has been, same with Jeff. However, Brett and Ben are not. The only issue Ricky or Jeff may have is that the IPS IP has been banned due to information received from IP logs concerning stolen CR Mod account information.

Ricky and Jeff may post all day from their homes if they so desire, and I know they'll see this post. But if not, pass this info on to them. However, there will be no IPS vs me topics, as we're past that stage and they know this too.

Cool, I didnt know that. I retract my previous statement then.. smile.gif

Originally posted by ttemper:

get a hold of dsmdan, he knows his shit

exactly

Originally posted by The Vette:

Kinda funny how when IPS is involved in any work posted on CR everyone jumps on the band wagon to say get a second opinion.

I think it is smart to get a second opion no matter what.