Windows install question

RelliK

I just recently built a new computer for a friend and have had issues installing windows, I have tried to use two different windows cd's and both have hung on the install, okay here is the problem in more detail.

I insert the disk in the cd-rom and boot from the cd it goes thru the drivers and such then it goes to "starting windows" it never gets to the screen where I need to format the drive for use.

I have tried even to use the data lifeguard tools cd that the hard drive came with to format the drive ahead of time and to check for errors, as far as I can tell everything check out fine on the drive.

The PC itself consists of the following :

A7N8X nforce2 mobo ASUS

2600+ Barton AMD

9600XT ATI Radeon

120 GIG WD 7200 RPM HD

512 PC 3200 DDR Corsair RAM

ANTEC 350 Watt mid tower case

Im not sure what is wrong any advice would help Im just in dire straights to get an operating system on this thing!

-Thanks Adam

Bad RAM, or try another RAM slot.

Are these two 256s or one 512? If it's two, find the dual channel slots and use one in each. If not, try the single 512 in the first slot closest to the motherboard.

FYI, a "clean" install of Windows XP will never show the Windows logo screen prior to the format hard drive option. You'll not see a GUI until after the format and first stage of file install. Until that point, everything will look like a jacked-up MS-DOS interface.

Sometimes the cach and shadow options in bios would mess up the install. I'll have to take a look at the setup to be sure though. I guess you can try the ram thing. If that doesn't take care of it then try disabling some cach and shadow options in the bios then turn them back on after install.