Clarett to be denied to the NFL

Guest BLACKBIRD99

I fail to see that logic that if you aren't going to last in the NFL due to injuries, you should spend more time playing college football and take more chances at injuries and not being able to play in the NFL at all.

Clarett's times were on par with the other backs of his size at the combine. He also was a good student in HS and had good test scores.

He was special when he was here, it's a shame he had to ruin it.

Originally posted by L.Pee.J:

Eric Haw? I've seen him play. Nothing special. Ross will be starting this year. BTW, Clarret had a "middle of the road" speed for the tailbacks this year.

NOTHING SPECIAL?? Eric Haw ran for 3,038 yards and 30 TD's this year, ran the 40 in 4.21 and 4.28 at the OSU camp, recoreded another sub 4.3 40 time at the Michigan camp and you say he is NOTHING SPECIAL? Even in the City League those stats are good and the 40 time is out of this world. graemlins/wtf.gif

Originally posted by Clint Eastwood:

NOTHING SPECIAL?? Eric Haw ran for 3,038 yards and 30 TD's this year, ran the 40 in 4.21 and 4.28 at the OSU camp, recoreded another sub 4.3 40 time at the Michigan camp and you say he is NOTHING SPECIAL? Even in the City League those stats are good and the 40 time is out of this world. graemlins/wtf.gif

Ever heard of Maurice Hall? Maurice was a better back in HS than Haw, and look at all his playing time :rolleyes:

Ever heard of Maurice Hall? Maurice was a better back in HS than Haw, and look at all his playing time :rolleyes:

compare the players around each back, Halls line was better those years at brookhaven. HAW is a beast, and fast. Also a good o-line makes a good rb.

Guest BLACKBIRD99

[QB]I fail to see that logic that if you aren't going to last in the NFL due to injuries, you should spend more time playing college football and take more chances at injuries and not being able to play in the NFL at all.

QB]

The logic is that if he can't stay healthy at the college level, what makes him or anyone else think that that will change when he gets into the NFL? About every rookie comments that in the NFL, all of the players are bigger, faster, stronger, smarter-and for obvious reasons. So if the pro players are that much better than the college players, then there's a 99% chance that Clarett will continue on with his injury prone game if he makes it to the NFL.

Ok. If you are injury prone, it doesn't really matter if it's a college hit or an NFL hit. So how does it make sense to play two more years in college and make ZERO $$ doing so, but risk a career ending injury OR play one or two years in the NFL and get paid for it?

I believe Clinton Portis was one of, if not the lowest paid running backs in the NFL and he made $300,000 a year with Denver. He just signed a deal woth $50 million with a 17 million dollar signing bonus.

So play for free and get injured or play for $300,000 and get injured? hmmmmmmm

Another point. Running backs have the shortest careers of any position in the NFL. I THINK the average career is 2-3 years. Playing that position inflicts an amazing amount of wear on the body and especially so for a player with a running style such as Clarett. If the body only has 6 years of playing near that level in it, why waste 3 years in college if you don't have to?

I really don't see how anyone can argue that it doesn't make sense for him to enter the NFL. Not that he is going to get the chance now anyway.

You apparently have not seen the Eric Haw highlight film. Maurice Hall, 99 times out of 100 was running outside of the tackles using his speed to outrun everyone. Eric Haw on the other hand runs well up the middle and has the power to break tackles.

Another thing. Maurice Hall had TWO bad knees last season! He had knee surgery on both knees this off-season! When you realize this it is amazing that he even played at all. The fact that he was a warrior and played through those injuries without ever crying about it speaks volumes about what kind of guy he is. We have yet to see Maurice Hall's best.

I really don't see how anyone can argue that it doesn't make sense for him to enter the NFL. Not that he is going to get the chance now anyway.

Well he is now a projected 3rd round pick. Your Portis is a good example. He's likely to get stuck in a 3 year deal like Portis did making "little".. If he woulda played college for one more year, put up some great numbers, maybe won the Heisman he'd have gone high 1st round.. gotten a huge sign on bonus.. he's rich.

If you leave too early it CAN hurt you salary wise.. The quick buck is not always the smartest move. If he was a guaranteed high 1st rounder I can see your point.. problem is he isn't, and his stock is continually going down..

You apparently have not seen the Eric Haw highlight film. Maurice Hall, 99 times out of 100 was running outside of the tackles using his speed to outrun everyone. Eric Haw on the other hand runs well up the middle and has the power to break tackles.

Another thing. Maurice Hall had TWO bad knees last season! He had knee surgery on both knees this off-season! When you realize this it is amazing that he even played at all. The fact that he was a warrior and played through those injuries without ever crying about it speaks volumes about what kind of guy he is. We have yet to see Maurice Hall's best.

I told you, I have seen them both play, in person, their senior years. I watched Maurice play DeSales at Westerville North, and saw his highlight film. I saw Haw 3 times when he played Pickerington, Walnut Ridge, and West. I also watched the film of the Beechcroft game (scouting 'Croft) He does remind me a lot of Hall, the thing is that Haw had a MUCH better line to run behind than Hall did.

Guest BLACKBIRD99

It's called "not being ready." Typically when you're not ready to move up to a level, it's because you can't handle it for whatever reason. Since he couldn't even play an entire season as a freshman, what makes you, Clarett or anyone else think that he can handle a longer season in the much tougher NFL?

Hall also had a back injury last season.

And i understand clarritts logic in going pro, but its his fault he took money, and every other player before has had to play 2 yrs of college so i dont care about what injurys he has had, he shouldnt have fucked off.

Originally posted by SamZman:

Well he is now a projected 3rd round pick. Your Portis is a good example. He's likely to get stuck in a 3 year deal like Portis did making "little".. If he woulda played college for one more year, put up some great numbers, maybe won the Heisman he'd have gone high 1st round.. gotten a huge sign on bonus.. he's rich.

If you leave too early it CAN hurt you salary wise.. The quick buck is not always the smartest move. If he was a guaranteed high 1st rounder I can see your point.. problem is he isn't, and his stock is continually going down..

Someone give this man a beer. I was just saying the exact same thing to a coworker earlier. smile.gif

Guest jpurdy2003

No NFL? No college? In two years, he will have gone from one Columbus mainstay to another...

...he'll go from Ohio State football to being a grill jockey at Wendy's. tongue.gif

Out of this whole mess, it sucks that Mike Williams WR from USC cannot enter the draft. That kid played hard for 2 years, put up good numbers, demonstrated amazing hands AND stayed out of trouble.

Maurice however get's exactly what he deserves. Good like in the CFL punk.

Aside from all this, he pretty much fucked over/abandon his team by going and getting in trouble. Then saying he wants to leave and go pro, not because he is allowed but he wants to protest the rule that stands. Shows alot of love to his team mates who won him a championship...Go Blue.

The bottom line is that someone should have deflated his ego. If he would have gotten over himself and played college ball longer then he would have made himself more marketable. It is a shame because he is a hell of a football player and he could have been a huge star. Now everyone just sees him as a trouble maker.

When you look at this situation, as an outsider, you must realize that he is a 19 year old "KID", who is seeing $ in front of him. He came from a poor background and on top of it he's seeing his friend LeBron James make tons of money, and he figures, why not me? Although I do agree that he should've stayed, and he screwed someone out of a scholarship.....to follow a famous movie line "show me the money!" In this case, he's looking for nothing more than the money.