Beer Review: Fuller's 1845

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

if you can recall way back in the day, i did a review on fuller's london porter. this beer is from the same brewer as that beer is. this beer is a celebration ale that is bottle conditioned, meaning that the beer is finished in the bottle. since it is finished in the bottle you can age the beer.

bottle: LARGE and in charge. this is not a type of bottle that i have seen before. the bottle holds 1 pint and 2.6 fluid ounces. that number seems odd, but i bet that it is some nice neat number in the metric system. the front of the bottle says the name of the beer and, "over 150 years of brewing excellence. english ale brewed in london's oldest brewery.".

pour: the beer pours out as a mahogany color with a rather large head made of fine bubbles that dissapeared at an average click. also, not much carbonation can been seen in the glass. the beer smells of butter and vanilla.

taste: very, very smooth. nothing really stands out in this beer as the malt and hops perform a beautiful waltz in perfect rythm. first the malt hits you, then morphs into the hops, then back into the malt. its a wonderful balance to say the absolute least. some things i can taste in the beer are toffee and a bit of smoke. there is also an off fruit tint that is so miniscule that it is hard for me to pick out what it is.

overall: the beer is smooth enough to drink on a regular basis. however, since it comes in such a rather large bottle i would not recommend drinking it when you want a one beer sitting. i must say that the beer is really good, but i think that it could be better if you let it sit around 6 months before drinking.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/1845.jpg

a bit about the beer from www.fullers.co.uk:

Fuller's 1845 Celebration Ale is a beer with a real story to it. Although brewing dates back to 1654 at Griffin Brewery on the banks of the River Thames, the partnership of Fuller, Smith And Turner was formed in 1845. In 1995, to commemorate the 150th anniversary of this landmark in brewing history, Fuller's commissioned a special, celebration bottled ale. 1845 was the result. A more auspicious beginning the brew could not have had: the inaugural beer's hops were added to the copper by none other than HRH Prince of Wales, during a royal visit to Fuller's!

Its launch was so successful that 1845 has quickly become the number one bottle conditioned brand in the UK Take Home market, and is currently the UK market leader in the bottle conditioned beer sector.

Guest Ranger_Man

after drinking some more of this i have to make another post.

i really can not come up with a way to stress how smooth this beer is, so i am just going to say it again. this beer is SMOOTH.

i have also found a small complaint i have with the beer. the body of the beer seems to be rather watery. i would expect that of a pils, but ales usually do not have that character. it is still not enough to subtract from the overall goodness of the beer, but i thought i had to throw that in.