Comp help needed: misbehaving HD/BIOS

JaSSon

Alright, i just installed a 160 GB hard drive that I picked up during after thanks giving sales. I know it works, because it booted after I installed it ( windows didn't know how to use it yet) did what ever to make windows be able to use a drive larger than 137 gig and transferred some files to it.

I restarted and... "Error loading OS" If I unplug the new drive's power the system boots just fine.

I have changed the 1st boot device from HDD0 through HDD3 and it still won't boot with the new drive.

My boot drive is a raid 0 set up of 2 identical drives. The new drive has it's own channel, and it is NOT being mistakenly added to the raid array.

Cliff's notes: Comp booted before it knew how to use the new drive. Now it knows how to acess the large drive but it won't boot with it plugged in.

Is the bios trying to look for an OS on my new drive? WHY? I used the software supplied with the drive to set it up as an additional storage drive, not a boot drive. Why doesn't changing the boot devices in the bios affect the problem?

I tried as master and slave. I finally got it tho. For some reason the BIOS is no longer recogizing my raid array as HDD0 (The bios was previosuly set up to boot from CD then from HDD0 which WAS the array) The bios now wants to recognize the boot drive (the raid array) as "SCSI" instead of HDD0.

I was looking through the boot options, and I saw some suprising options: 4 Hard drives, CD, floppy, LAN, USB HDD, USB ZIP drive, USB scsi.