All CPU guru's

Sam1647545489

You'd pretty much have to go with the phone company that you use for a standard phone if you go the route of DSL. I've noticed something about the marketing tactics of ISP's. It seems that the cable companies have everyone thinking that cable is the fastest out there. Why is this? Its totally not. It would depend on the plan you have I guess. Phones have a certain speed they can run at using a modem. DSL uses a phone line, but on a different frequency than voice. I am paying for 1.5Mbps and usually through DSLreports.com I rate in at 1.6 to 1.7Mbps. So tell me how am I slower than a cable setup? Sure someone could go and say they have 6Mbps on there road runner, but then I could say I could have purchased 6Mbps on my DSL.

I'm pretty sure DirectWay has both TX and RX via satellite and its not really expensive although it does cost more than the other types.

Evan

Originally posted by Tractor:

You'd pretty much have to go with the phone company that you use for a standard phone if you go the route of DSL. I've noticed something about the marketing tactics of ISP's. It seems that the cable companies have everyone thinking that cable is the fastest out there. Why is this? Its totally not. It would depend on the plan you have I guess. Phones have a certain speed they can run at using a modem. DSL uses a phone line, but on a different frequency than voice. I am paying for 1.5Mbps and usually through DSLreports.com I rate in at 1.6 to 1.7Mbps. So tell me how am I slower than a cable setup? Sure someone could go and say they have 6Mbps on there road runner, but then I could say I could have purchased 6Mbps on my DSL.

I'm pretty sure DirectWay has both TX and RX via satellite and its not really expensive although it does cost more than the other types.

Evan

cable companys say they are faster than standard dialup not dsl.

Originally posted by Tractor:

Evan

I pay $45/mo for a 4MB connection. I just did a bandwidth test, and was pulling 2.9MB throughput. How much do you pay?

I am moving near ricart ford. I called all the cable companies and they say the same thing, They have not yet ran cable all the way down the street to the part that my house is at. I called SBC today and no luck again... I am really angry now. I guess satelite might be my last option.

Originally posted by Inspeckta:

Reality- 56K

I almost agree with this if they are going to run cable down to your place anytime soon. It sounds like they will be from your last post, do you know when cable might be down to your house.

I half assumed you were out in the booneis somewhere, I know a few people who live down in that area who, as far as I know, have a cable modem.