Old currency in circulation

Science Abuse

This post is for coin collecting nerds only.

Anyone else happen apon uncomonly old currency in circulation? Or freak old coins in great shape?

in my burger king change today I got 1958 in mint shape, still sporting hardcore luster. I've gotten older coins, but none is so great a shape.

It reminded me of 1934 $20 bill I got from the bank a couple years ago, also in great shape. Anyone else find oddbll shit in their change...or am I the only one who checks? :cool:

Nope, I've gotten a few too over the years. I check my change for Wheat pennies, Buffalo nickels, etc.

Once I got a dime that turned out to be a 1943 silver penny (war shortage caused copper to quit being used and they used silver instead for a few years for those that don't know).

I've also gotten a few Silver Certificates in the past.

Originally posted by BDHG940:

I got a 1950B $100 the other day at the bank. I looked it up and seemed like there is something special about it????

I'll give ya $101 for it smile.gif

I noticed my old $20 because it was a different shade of green then the rest in my stack. Yes there is something about it. Notes appriciate more then coins because their survival rate is so low. They wear over the yers or get marked and destroyed. Not worth a fortune now, but hold onto them, you wont regret it later.

they still print 2 dollar bills mostly for horse racing becuase the minimum bet is 2 bucks.

I found a 1918 penny in my change couple of weeks ago.

if you collect it ask at the bank when you go in the teller I see most of the time saves me 50 cent pieces and silver dollars

Originally posted by Burst Knock:

Once I got a dime that turned out to be a 1943 silver penny (war shortage caused copper to quit being used and they used silver instead for a few years for those that don't know).

Those are steel. They are attracted by a magnet.

Originally posted by gillbot:

I got a 1909 VDB from a candy store when I was a kid. Still got it today.

got the mint? what shape? Its worth anywhere for $4 - $2000. Not a bd find. ;)
Originally posted by Browning:

Ive got a good bit of pennies from the 1920'2, bunch of 50 cent pieces, 1928 $20 bils, old nickels, where can I look them up at?

umm, these books I got. lol Never bothered hunting online. need more info on your $20, they range for $25 to $4500.

I have about $5-6 (face value) worth of silver dimes and quarters, plus a few rolls of silver half-dollars and silver dollars, stacks of wheat pennies and bicentennial quarters, a few buffalo nickels, a liberty nickel, few more things. None are mint except the silver dollars and half dollars. Lots of older $2 bills, and a roll of steel pennies, too.

Have some old silver coins from Canada, too . . ..(eh?)

Originally posted by BrockSamson:

got the mint? what shape? Its worth anywhere for $4 - $2000. Not a bd find. ;) umm, these books I got. lol Never bothered hunting online. need more info on your $20, they range for $25 to $4500.

What info ya want, Its not ripped or anything, but not crisp, ya know, its got the redeemable for gold or whatever on it, let me know what ya need and Ill look.

[ 26. October 2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Browning ]

upper left nd lower right fo the bills face, there should be a small, singular, lonely letter, it is important to identification. Also, look for the mint stamp, should be the size of a dime and have a cities name in it some where. Ciruclated bills aren't worth near as much mint shape uncirculated bills. Yours will be in the lower range, 25-75 ish.