Nitrous Bird

Total Sign

Originally posted by HIgh Risk:

Merc 3.0 new sell for 1800.

I know....and the hell if I'm going to pay $1800 for a new motor. 3.0L new and rebuilt longblocks are a dime a dozen. I've found you can't buy a bare block or shortblock for them, and boat dealers have no interest in selling a bare or shortblock anyway. Automotive dealers (yes, I checked) can't touch it because it is a marine-only application, so GM won't let them get/sell it.

We are pulling the motor apart today. I know I can rebuild it for FFFAAAARRRR cheaper than $1800. For that kind of money; I'll buy what it would take to convert the 4.3L out of my wrecked Blazer to work in the boat, and have a much faster boat. :D

The block had a crack in a water jacket on the outside of it that I repaired. It has shown no internal water leaking, there was no water in the oil. I'll make sure to let whatever machine shop I take it to know about it, so they can take a closer look.

Take a look in the picture forum, I'll be posting pics of what did go wrong shortly.