Setting up a wireless server in my house?

RedRocket1647545505

I'm not too familiar with all the new computer tech. But I can hold my own. I was thinking about setting up some kind of server in a room of our house to store all of my movies and junk on to keep it off of the harddrive on my computer. One that I could use to host images and movies for people if they so wanted. I would like to set the house up with Wireless stuff also, so we wouldn't have to run wires everywhere.

I've never did this before. Anyone have any pointers for me? Estimated cost of doing this? I was thinking, one central server, with probably 3 other computers that would have wireless access to it. Maybe designate one additional harddrive on the server to each of the 3 other computers? I would be correct in my assumption that a server is just a bigass harddrive that everybody has access too, right? If I'm understanding that correctly.

Any help you could give would be great. Thanks.

And I have an external HD for sale, PM me if your interested.

On the same note, I'd like to go wireless internet, and my computer has the capability, but I don't have it at my house, what do I need to do this?

Thanks

Matt

I have a question concerning wireless internet while we are on the subject. I have a wireless setup (Linksys) in my house. Other people in the neighborhood have it too and we all have the same name for the network (linksys) without a log in. How do I go about setting things up so people at my house have to log in or making sure our computers connect only to our router?

Thanks.

Originally posted by BIG SHAFE:

I have a question concerning wireless internet while we are on the subject. I have a wireless setup (Linksys) in my house. Other people in the neighborhood have it too and we all have the same name for the network (linksys) without a log in. How do I go about setting things up so people at my house have to log in or making sure our computers connect only to our router?

Thanks.

in your browser type: 192.168.0.1

the User is probably admin w/ no password. You can then change the AP's name and add some security as well as other features of your router.

www.ezlan.net has some tutorials on how to make your network secure.