projectors dlp

Lustalbert

looking at getting a dlp projector for my basement for my home theatre. who here has a setup like this, and what do you use? looking to get t decent projector, but not spend 5 grand on it, like the marantz projectors cost.

tia

Here is my set up..

http://cimellc.org/pics/housenew/DSC00683.JPG

I have the Dell 2300MP projector. It is rated at 2300 lumens and has a 2100:1 contrast ratio, plus a standard resolution XGA. It was around 1200 when it was on sale; I think the normal price is 1400-1500. A few guys on the board has seen it, I think it has a pretty good pictures. I mainly use it for xbox, DVD and the HD channels.

Edit - plus I built my own screen for around 80-100 bucks.

.... those kind of projectors can have dlp too? i thought he was talking about a rear projection tv... i have a sony KP51WS520.. not dlp, but very vivid. and for sound i have an ONKYO 6.1 system.. don't remember the model number. i was looking at dlp's (too expensive for me though) i liked the samsung's most.. they seemed to have the best price/quality ratio

Check out www.projectorcentral.com to do some research. They have generic info on just about every projector avaliable. They only have reviews on a select few. They have a good search engine too if you go to "Find Projectors".

If you find one you are interested in, you can Google it. I.E. “Manufacture Model Name Review”. That will usually net a few good reviews on anything mainstream.

A very good, but sometimes overwhelming forum is www.avsforum.com Their search engine kind of sucks, and you'd be hard pressed to just happen upon a good post just because the place is so big, but it's worth a try. If you narrow it down to a few projectors, this would be a good place to do some in depth research.

That should keep you busy for a while. tongue.gif

Originally posted by 94whitegsr:

.... those kind of projectors can have dlp too?

They most definitely do. They make LCD, CRT, and DLP in rear or front projection. You can't do plasma in any sort of projection because it's an emissive light and not reflective (or absorption in the case of LCD, afaik). That's alright because plasma sucks anyways.

i am basicly looking for an entry level system.

2 projectors i am curently looking at are the benq pb6200 and the infocus x2.

this will be a basement instalation, and the windows will be blacked.

what material did you guys use for your screen?

Originally posted by Lustalbert (more used cars than CR):

i am basicly looking for an entry level system.

2 projectors i am curently looking at are the benq pb6200 and the infocus x2.

this will be a basement instalation, and the windows will be blacked.

what material did you guys use for your screen?

I saw the PB6200 at the parade of homes last year, they were playing The Two Towers on it. It shot a pretty good picture, but I would go with the Dell before the BenQ. 1. it's several hundred dollars cheaper and 2, it has better specs on it. (better contrast and higher lumens). We had the X1 at my old office and it was nice too, never seen the X2.

I got the material off of ebay, just do a search for "projector screen" and there are pages of them, depending on the size you want. The screen I made is 112 inches :D

Well Its older now since i just have a 52inch HDTV now but I used to have a Infocus 420 running direct onto my wall at my old house @108 inches and i looked very nice its actualy what conviened me to get a HD because i could not keep up with the cost of bulbs and i had no really room for it. I suggest going and trying to rent one first from a party outlet.

Originally posted by NoRodStang:

...i could not keep up with the cost of bulbs and i had no really room for it.

He's got a good point. It sounds like you probably have a good room for the projector (basement), but I would not use this full time for TV. I plan on getting one sometime in the future, but I do not plan on it being my primary TV. It will probably just be used for movies and the like. Whereas regular shows I plan to have a CRT to watch. I just like CRT's a lot better than rear projectors, personal preference.

Originally posted by Homey D. Clown:

I saw the PB6200 at the parade of homes last year, they were playing The Two Towers on it. It shot a pretty good picture, but I would go with the Dell before the BenQ. 1. it's several hundred dollars cheaper and 2, it has better specs on it. (better contrast and higher lumens). We had the X1 at my old office and it was nice too, never seen the X2.

I got the material off of ebay, just do a search for "projector screen" and there are pages of them, depending on the size you want. The screen I made is 112 inches :D

wich dell unit are you refering to?

the benq i am looking at is 1700 lumens, xga, and im getting it with 3 year warnty for 840 shiped.

Originally posted by Lustalbert (more used cars than CR):

wich dell unit are you refering to?

the benq i am looking at is 1700 lumens, xga, and im getting it with 3 year warnty for 840 shiped.

Damn thats cheap!! the price has went down quite a bit on the 6200, when I was shopping around it was over twice that amount.

I have the dell 2300MP, they are going on ebay for around 1000. Specs are 2300 lumens, 2100 contrast and xga.

The dell 2300MP is a great unit, it is SUPER BRIGHT! and if you catch dell with a 10% off sale you can normally get them around 800 even. as for material for a screen, go to JoAnns and get it there. I'm not sure what its called but it works great, it is a silver color, just stretch it around some 1*2, 2*4, whatever you might have laying around.

Originally posted by gergwheel:

I'm not sure what its called but it works great, it is a silver color

Silver is great if you are trying to boost the brightness of your screen but it will actually throw the color off. If the screen is bright enough and you are in a light controlled room (i.e. little external light), it's usually better to go with a white screen.

People will often use silver in a room where they can-not block off as much light. Another common use is in a situation where you want more light, but you still obviously need to see the screen, but the color being off a little doesn't matter as much. People will often do this for their setups while watching sports. Movies=dark room, but I don't want to watch sports in a dark room.