FS: 1994 Ford Taurus

large_x7

Well, I'm going to throw this out there. I have a 1994 tan-on-tan Ford Taurus for sale with approximately 120K. Body is in very good shape (considering the condition these cars are usually in), but has its share of scrapes and small dings. There are no major dents or rust spots. The transmission jerks on the 1-2 upshift, but I have had it inspected at ATS Transmission in Marysville, and they tell me that it is better than normal for a Taurus of its age.

The problem is that I'm pretty sure it has a blown head gasket, which is surprising because the engine in these cars is known to be reliable! Anyways, it tends to run a little hot until the thermostat opens, but otherwise its fine. It has no major leaks, and I just replaced the tires Winter of '02. It comes with an aftermarket Pioneer CD deck and Pioneer speakers. If somebody is willing to take a weekend and fix the head gaskets, they would have a pretty nice daily driver/beater on their hands. If nobody wants it, I'm pulling out the stereo and sending it to the scrap yard.

Price: $400

Sweet! My car has the 3.0L engine, although I have been told that the 3.8L bolts right up to the 3.0L tranny, as that is what the cop-car configuration was. $450 and one or two weekends of work will get you a good dd/beater!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.

Checking on a 91 Grand Am, but I might be interested depending on how much they want for that car.. I need something that I can smash into a guard rail or swap paint with on the freeway for the winter when it snows. The Snake doesn't like the snow very much, although I'm sure the ditches would love to get close and personal with it.

I'll get back to you. How much coolant (if any) is it using and does it smoke/how badly? Any idea how much a head gasket for one of these things costs?

yup. still sitting in the parking lot outside my apartment! I haven't even looked into repairing it, just because I don't want to put up with it. I suppose you could call the Ford dealer and ask them for a quote on the part. It actually doesn't smoke when it's driven regularly, but it does have some trouble starting up after it's been sitting for a while. I'll go drive it around after dinner and give you the full report.

Okay, just took it for a test drive. There is no smoke, and it started right up. But, like I said above, it does tend to run a bit hot until the thermostat opens. Also, since it's been sitting for about 3 months, I think one of the brakes may have seized, so it may need a brake job. But I think the car would be great for your purposes. It's gotten me accident-free through 3 Columbus winters and 5 Chicago winters! You're free to come look at it and take it for a test drive if you want. Send me a PM.