Head gasket on an 86 F250 351.

SamZman

Anyone ever replaced a head gasket on an 86 Ford F250 w/ a 351? A friend's truck blew a passenger side head gasket.. I'm wondering if this is something I want to tackle. I really don't have that much free time to get stuck in a project like this...

I'm wondering if there are any suggestions on how bad this is? Also if anyone knows anyone/place that may do this for a decent price??..

Thanks,

Sam

Rust penetrant will be your best friend in spots, there is quite a bit of space in there so that can't hurt, but I'd suggest replaceing both sides not just the one. You dont want to start a weakest link chain reaction type thing. I should be able to dono problem if you dont wanna do it yourself I'll get a price and pm ya tomorrow.

Derek

If the truck is not got a body lift on it, it's not too bad. Body lifts make it a total pain in the ass. The only real issue thet you will need to be aware of is the manifold studs, if original they will want to break off, since the head is coming off anyway, that's not a big deal. They can be drilled and retapped easily. Just use the manifold as a guide for the drill. If oyu need help with that part of it, bring it out and I can help you with that. It will take about 20 minutes per broken stud.

Only other this is to replace the head bolts. If it lost a head gasket, chances are good that they might have stretched out a bit too much.

Other than that, it's straight forward, loosen all the rockers, pull all the pushrods, remove the intake, remove the from accesories that are bolted to the head, take the exhaust manifold off and pull the head.

Make sure to clean the deck up real good. inspect the deck and the head for signs of warpage and attempt to determine what caused the gasket to blow to begin with.

Reassemble the head on the motor with a new gasket AND DO NOT USE ANY SORT OF GASKET SEALER, INSTALL THE HEAD GASKET DRY!!

Of course drill and tap any broken studs before reassembly, then put it together the way it came apart.

PM's sent to Derek and Ben.. thanks guys.

I really appreciate the reply desperado. You've further convinced me this is something I don't think I have the time to get into.. I have enough projects of my own to keep me busy :o