pressure washing a motor..

Buck531

Would there be any issue pressure washing a motor that's not in the car, on the back of a truck?

There will be no electronics on it. Just a motor with all the accessories, etc.

Can I just dowse it with like simple green or any degreaser, let it sit and go to town on it?

I don't know about pressure washing. That might force water into places you don't want it. I guess if you were planning to tear it down, it wouldn't matter, but otherwise I wouldn't do it.

I rinse the engine in my car using the hose and simple green all the time though. Hit it with simple green or some other degreaser and hose it off. You might need something stronger if it's really bad, though.

I've powerwashed my engine while it was in the car. I don't see it being a problem. I would try to avoid aiming the stream directly at any sealy tho. You may find however that soaking the shit out of it with cleaner and rinsing with a hose will do the trick.

If you want the engine to be nice and clean, take shit apart and clean it the right way, pressure washing is the lazy way out.

Well, I sure as hell don't need to eat off the engine bay. THe motor I'm getting has a bad valve cover gasket and gunk is just everywhere. I'm not going to take the time to dissasemble the engine just to get the grime off of it.. :rolleyes:

Not a big fan of pressure washing a motor...but a big fan of having a clean motor..soak it in simple green or degreaser...let it sit for 5 mintues...aggitate with an old wheel brush or something...then rince with low pressure stream..I just take the end off of the hose and let the water run over the engine.

just too many risks involved with excessive pressure around an engine if you ask me...

Guest powers
the only concern you would have on an enigine with no electronics on it and in the back of a truck would be damaging seals on the motor. Sometime the spray is strong enough to blow a gasket out or to cut through gasket maker in some areas. So you can use a powerwasher but just be carefull of where you spray. If you are going to tear the motor down who cares.

the only concern you would have on an enigine with no electronics on it and in the back of a truck would be damaging seals on the motor. Sometime the spray is strong enough to blow a gasket out or to cut through gasket maker in some areas. So you can use a powerwasher but just be carefull of where you spray. If you are going to tear the motor down who cares.

I was thinking of not making my driveway look like ass. I mean.. I could just spray it down at home with degreaser and hose it off. I might still do that. Or I could just use degreaser and use the lower speed (or whatever) on the car wash.

But yeah, that's the one thing I was concerned of is blowing a seal somewhere.

Guest compudaze
if you pressure wash it just don't hold it in one spot to long, keep the wand moving and you should be fine.

That's what I do.

So far it still runs ok ;)