Computer Gurus needed...

Jelloman4571647545499

guys need some help here i am on a wireless internet and my signal fades way to much and is at best in the singles when there is signal. what is the best wireless card that i could buy for a laptop. right now i have the 2.4GHz linksys card and i just want to know if there is something better. thanks in advance

try changing channels on the router first

what setup do you have rite now?

where is the router located? upstairs? basement?

Where is your laptop most of the time?

Are there other wireless networks in your area with conflicting SSID names?

try changing channels on the router first

what setup do you have rite now?

where is the router located? upstairs? basement?

Where is your laptop most of the time?

Are there other wireless networks in your area with conflicting SSID names?

the router is on the same floor but the walls must be made of straight up concrete or kryptonite. i have road runner, the better of the two packages.

laptop is in my room about 45' straight line measurement.

no one else in my area has wireless.

BTW each time I try and connect, I have to enter the WEP key for the 64 bit encryption. then my linksys sysytem looks and trys to connect. lately it is connecting to the router but not to the internet. thanks again

when im within 15 feet it's 100% and runs like a badass. but as soon i as i get situated in my room its back to suckmode. i have a dell 8200 inspirion.

Im on an Inspiron 8200 rite now posting this in class hah.

If no one else has wireless, turn off security if you dont mind it.. There should be an option to save the wep key so you dont have to enter it all the time.

Make sure you try and change channels too.

Another example... if the router is wireless B&G and the card is too.. change it to G only on the router, and change the card to G only... it will save some random dropped connections between the switch ever between B and G on the router.

Guest RdHondaSi

Get a Belkin Pre-N card and a Pre-N router. It runs at 108Mhz and gets a LOT better distance when used together. If you can't afford both, get the Pre-N card.

Microcenter has it.

Card-- $90

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0181220

Router--$100

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0184484

might be cheaper places out there. This is just for reference so you would know what to look for in case you go that route.

Im on an Inspiron 8200 rite now posting this in class hah.

If no one else has wireless, turn off security if you dont mind it.. There should be an option to save the wep key so you dont have to enter it all the time.

Make sure you try and change channels too.

Another example... if the router is wireless B&G and the card is too.. change it to G only on the router, and change the card to G only... it will save some random dropped connections between the switch ever between B and G on the router.

Dragknee you got mail bud... thanks again for the help guys

replied...

no need for expensive wireless stuff.. just tweak whatcha got! Things can always be changed.. Ive never had a single wireless drop with my setup... but ive seen some that drop ALL the time too. Wireless can be funky.

Are you using a PCMCIA card? The little card that sticks outside the laptop a bit..

If your Inspiron doesnt have built in wireless.. you can buy the mini pci wireless card for $25 bucks SHIPPED to your door... bingo.. built in wireless.

Im about to spend that myself.

Guest compudaze

I've been able to get better signal's with 802.11g router/ap's/cards/etc. (when comparing to 802.11b)

Also my 2.4GHz wireless phone causes problems sometimes.