Still Have A Short After harness replaced - battery terminal is smoking & fuse blown

CJINOHIO03

I replaced one of the harness under the hood that connects to the main fuse box/circuit box under the hood. The harness is for the starter and alternator and a couple other small things.

A little history I replaced this because for about a year my car wouldnt always start. If you messed around with the battery cables by moving them sometimes it would start. I replaced the terminal ends , starter and battery. It worked fine for awhile and then and starting doing the same thing again eventually it would not do anything(nothing in car electrical would work) and would pop the main 100a fuse when the battery was connected. I was told there was a short some where so I replaced this harness but today when I put the new harness on and connected the battery it starting smoking and arching and blew the main fuse again. Any clues what is wrong here? I am about to give up. Thanks CJ

If it is blowing the 100 amp main, it's a pretty good short on a heavy wire, first thing I would look at is the alternator wire from the alt to the battery. That would be the only wire capible of carrying such a high current and not getting overly hot (burning in half). Make sure one of your buddies didn't connect the alt wire to the ground post. Also check that it's not burnt through someplace and shorted to ground. Those fuses are not cheap either, I would suggest that you go get a couple seales beam headlights, connect them together in parallel and connect them across where the fuse is. That will pass a good bit of current nad let you trace and troubleshoot without blowing fuse after fuse. Basically if the light glows at full brightness then you have a short. Once you locate the short, and eliminate it the bulbes will glow dimmer, you are looking to get the lights to not glow at all with the key off.

Hope this helps some.

Guest racinbird
A 100a mega fuse is connected to a pretty big wire. It wont go too far from the main fuse block. It really shouldnt be hard to see such a large short. Where ever it starts smoking is most likely near the short. Find a wire schmatic for that circuit, take off all loads/devices, install fuse. That will tell you if its the wire or a device. Just follow that wire, its melted somewhere. Give me a pm if you want some help, I do this shit at work all the time.