Motorcyclists lead police on high-speed chase, wreck

Casper

Motorcyclists lead police on high-speed chase

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:33 AM

By Matthew Marx

The Columbus Dispatch

Two motorcyclists were hospitalized late last night, after crashing in separate parts of Franklin County as they fled authorities, sometimes as fast as 100 miles per hour.

The situation began at 9:18 p.m., when Columbus police spotted two men on motorcycles traveling together southbound on I-71, near 5th Avenue. Police said the two were driving erratically.

Columbus patrol officers tried to pull the two over, but both of them sped off and police followed.

One of the motorcyclists, now traveling north on Rt. 315, crashed into a wall as he attempted to take the Rt. 315 exit to Ohio State University Medical Center.

The second motorcyclist continued on, going west in the county. Police cruisers backed off as the man drove at speeds topping 100 mph.

Instead, a Columbus police helicopter tracked the cyclist. At some point, he traveled onto Georgesville Road and into a neighborhood southeast of Hall and Galloway roads in Prairie Township.

Deputies with the Franklin County sheriff's office began following the motorcyclist as he zig-zagged west onto Crossbrook Boulevard. At some point, he reversed and went eastbound by going through lawns and onto curbs.

Shortly after 9:30 p.m., the cyclist crashed into a deputy's cruiser on Crossbrook, just east of Parkglen Road.

The motorcyclist was thrown from the bike. He was taken to Mount Carmel West, where police described his condition as critical but stable. The deputy wasn't injured.

Police didn't release the names of either motorcyclist. The condition of the one who crashed on Rt. 315 wasn't known last night, but police said it wasn't life-threatening.

mmarx@dispatch.com

Motorcyclists lead police on high-speed chase

Shortly after 9:30 p.m., the cyclist crashed into a deputy's cruiser on Crossbrook, just east of Parkglen Road.

I wonder if the rider fucked up/just wanted to end it by wrecking... or what prolly really happened was the CPD made him crash. Thats a sad story. I bet some of us have riden with these guys and we will hear about this down at taco bell. Sounds like thats the area they were coming from :dunno:

I don't know why I am updating Satan's post, mine was first! :thefinger:

COLUMBUS -- Two men are in critical condition after crashing their motorcycles during a chase with authorities Tuesday night.

The chase began on state Route 315 when police tried to pull over two men on motorcycles traveling at speeds of more than 100 mph, NBC 4's Amy Basista reported.

The first man, 21-year-old Zachary Jacobs, crashed his bike on S.R. 315 near Medical Center Drive, but the second man continued riding, Franklin County Sheriff's deputies said.

With authorities following, the man merged onto Interstate 670, and eventually headed westbound on Interstate 70. Then, the chase continued onto Interstate 270 before he exited the freeway at Georgesville Road, Basista reported.

After getting off the freeway, the man crashed his bike near Glenwillow Drive.

Jacobs suffered minor injuries and was arrested. The second man was taken to Mount Carmel West Hospital in critical condition. Upon arrival, he was upgraded to stable condition. His identity is not known.

The second man was taken to Mount Carmel West Hospital in critical condition. Upon arrival, he was upgraded to stable condition. His identity is not known.

We should find out what room he is in and send him a nice stuffed squid as a get well present.

• Upvote 1

What were they doing that was so bad the helicopter had to be called in? It only takes 5-10 seconds to put a half mile between you and a cop, so I guess I agree with the squids comment.

I am torn on this one risking the lives of everyone else on the street to give a couple of guys speeding tickets. Shit if they got their plates show up at their houses the next day and fuck with them. C'mon cops follow them to work or something get creative. Dont put the entire world at risk for your ego.

What were they doing that was so bad the helicopter had to be called in? It only takes 5-10 seconds to put a half mile between you and a cop, so I guess I agree with the squids comment.

I am torn on this one risking the lives of everyone else on the street to give a couple of guys speeding tickets. Shit if they got their plates show up at their houses the next day and fuck with them. C'mon cops follow them to work or something get creative. Dont put the entire world at risk for your ego.

:popcorn: (waiting for the cops on this board to reply)

and as i do...i will add my shit too.....(and NO I DONT KNOW THESE GUYS!!!)

whats a squid?? a person ( pc for the ladies) who breaks the law, and runs? or a person that breaks the law in the "right spot" and not get caught? because everyone on this board is the latter, and that includes the ladies ..... you telling me that everyone here stays the speed limit on ANY RUNS???? I highly doubt it. i could be wrong, but ill take my chances with that one :roll:

so what happens on the runs outside of town?? breaking the law is breaking the law no matter where at and no matter WHO YOU ARE!!!! These guys fucked up, and then fucked up again by running!!!! We all make mistakes, i myself more than others probably....

i dont know ppl........just ride safe or at least YOUR version of it, cause thats what we/you all do :devil::devil:

ok...im ready for the beating from the peanut gallery, and the bann from the mods (hi Ben )

whats a squid?? a person ( pc for the ladies) who breaks the law, and runs? or a person that breaks the law in the "right spot" and not get caught? because everyone on this board is the latter, and that includes the ladies ..... you telling me that everyone here stays the speed limit on ANY RUNS???? I highly doubt it. i could be wrong, but ill take my chances with that one :roll:

so what happens on the runs outside of town?? breaking the law is breaking the law no matter where at and no matter WHO YOU ARE!!!! These guys fucked up, and then fucked up again by running!!!! We all make mistakes, i myself more than others probably....

i dont know ppl........just ride safe or at least YOUR version of it, cause thats what we/you all do :devil::devil:

ok...im ready for the beating from the peanut gallery, and the bann from the mods (hi Ben )

I'll field this one for all of the unknowing folks reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_%28motorcycle%29

Personally, if I get caught, I'm pulling over. I'm too old to be running from the cops. I used to live fast like that, then I found out how much it hurts when you land.

whats a squid??

Well scuba steve you know who I am.... Squid? Tera would not be a squid. I don't know the names of the ones I've seen, but the chicken strips usually say here I am. Basically the ones that can't ride worth a shit, or the ones that have big bikes but only got fast in straight lines... That's my understanding anyhow......Anyone????????

lol...brian???? im just trying to start some shit :) and have a bit of fun............as fer the term definition, i really didnt care, its just a word to cut on someone if ya ask me ..

and i have NO IDEA whos who on here...i signed up like #30 or so when it first start last year, but have bareley been on since last sept....did anyone go out wed night? i was cold :) (pussy) so i stayed home

Bikes not going to outrun a helicopter through city streets :lol:

There was just a big supreme court thing regarding chases. Of course they favored us for being able to chase and not have to worry about some BS for those who get hurt WHILE the run away.

I could care less about the 2 idiots who fled at high speeds, I just hope the officers are ok. I will find out today which one of my FCSO buddies got fuckin plowed into :nono: I know the prairie twp guy pretty well and hope it wasnt him.

I just wish I would have been at work instead of in DC while this one happened, doh :oops:

Bikes not going to outrun a helicopter through city streets :lol:

There was just a big supreme court thing regarding chases. Of course they favored us for being able to chase and not have to worry about some BS for those who get hurt WHILE the run away.

I could care less about the 2 idiots who fled at high speeds, I just hope the officers are ok. I will find out today which one of my FCSO buddies got fuckin plowed into :nono: I know the prairie twp guy pretty well and hope it wasnt him.

I just wish I would have been at work instead of in DC while this one happened, doh :oops:

I want to ride by your cruiser one night while your working and throw tampons covered in ketchup all over your squad car :)

I was just wondering... are you going to ride your bike this year or just let it keep taking up space in the garage.. where the hell have you been... now that your cop convention is over, you better get your ass out riding...

I want to ride by your cruiser one night while your working and throw tampons covered in ketchup all over your squad car :)

This has got to be the single best thing Flounder has ever said. :lol:

I just wonder if the guy who ran into the cruiser did it a couple of times. The guy who hit the wall was in stable condition while the other was in critical. Did the cop back up over him to see if he was alright?