Infinity QX4 ???

88lx5oh

anyone had any experience with them. i have been looking at 97 QX4, and i really like it. i just know nothing about them. what are the good/bad/ugly of these cars.

i love the interior, and it drives like a dream. the exterior isnt the best lines i have ever seen. but the size fits what i want well.

i really would like to know how the 4 wheel drive in it holds up. it has a 3300 v6 which is a pretty stout motor. and not to shabby for a v6 power wise.

What do you want out of it? Haul groceries around 270?

I know it is the infinity version of the pathfinder, which is a great SUV. (older ones anyway... new are unibody)

I would buy a Nissan Xterra instead. Its a true "Sport Utility Vehicle": More space, lighter, more power, and its actually on a truck frame. Has a manual transfer case with 4hi and 4lo instead of realtime AWD. PM me if you want to buy mine :)

Or maybe look at pathfinders if you dont want the ruggedness of an xterra. In the event something should break, Infinity repair costs are more than Nissan, right?

The QX4 rides a lot more like a truck then the traditional SUV; thats why they were discontinued. With the rise of the RX300 (Lexus) and so forth, smaller/mid sized SUVs had to be more luxurious and based on car frames. The QX4 IMHO is a great suv. The problem i remember about it was that it had windshield cracking problems, but I think they were recalled for that?

When I went to Venezuela, in la Gran Sabana (basically their version of yellowstone...its where Angel Falls is) we had some (older)land cruisers and one pathfinder, and they both ate up the rough terrain. if i were taking the QX4 out there, i'd feel perfectly confident in its capabilities.

What do you want out of it? Haul groceries around 270?

I know it is the infinity version of the pathfinder, which is a great SUV. (older ones anyway... new are unibody)

I would buy a Nissan Xterra instead. Its a true "Sport Utility Vehicle": More space, lighter, more power, and its actually on a truck frame. Has a manual transfer case with 4hi and 4lo instead of realtime AWD. PM me if you want to buy mine :)

Or maybe look at pathfinders if you dont want the ruggedness of an xterra. In the event something should break, Infinity repair costs are more than Nissan, right?

I've got a little experience in this area. ( I sell at Nissan North) The QX4 is a great vehicle. Its a virtual twin of the Pathfinder. I know our service dept can work on Infiniti vehicles any time. The costs should be very similar to repair compared to Nissan.

The Xterra's have always had the 3.3L engine and up until 2001, the QX4s did as well. Nissan/Infiniti do a great job not trying to make things too complicated. Their entire V6 product line is based off the same engine block. That block has been named as a top 10 award winner for the past 11 years.

Good luck on your purchase. You'll love your Infiniti.

would your dog fit in a CRV? much more economical as far as fuel is concerned, and rides like a car. If you are stuck on the infinity, it should be fine for what you need.

The tranny issues on the pathfinders were caused by overheating... The tranny cooler was an integral part of the radiator. Inside there is a tiny screen. Over time the screen becomes clogged, starving the tranny of oil, so if you get the auto it may be a good idea to put an external cooler like a hayden on it. (if the qx4 has the same setup.)

The afore mentioned ignition problems were also common on the pathfinders.

the exhaust manifold/studs have a tendency to crack on those 3.3L V6, and repairs are extensive since the studs usually break when trying to replace them.