Mercedes Benze 190E 2.3 16v Cosworth, anyone savy?

Science Abuse

I'm looking at one rather seriously to become a 4 door 4cyl gas sipper family ride. I'm looking for any info that anyone may have on them...? I've got the tech/history stuff down, and I like it. But I'm looking for more personal experience and opinions of the cars, reliability, service, etc etc. "I had one, my buddy had one, my babysitters babies daddy had one and..."

Anyone?

http://www.europeanplates.com/frtmb.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/422000-422999/422282_2_full.jpg

I had researched them a little bit when Jack first showed his. I thought about picking one up as a cheap track car but the Protege has gone that direction. The main problems I have seen with them is the air suspension in the rear. However, the one you are looking at has H&R's (?) and Bilsteins so you shouldn't have that problem.

They are awesome handling cars and got rave reviews in their day. However, cossie parts might be a little pricey if something breaks. There are a few people that have done engine swaps though. SR20's seem to be the most popular.

if it is that exact car, pimp shit that thing looks badass. ill ask a guy tomorrow that i work with what he thinks about them cause he knows a shit ton about these and BMWs and is always right.

Mercedes??

And SR20 for life! (olny with solid lifters)

They are awesome handling cars and got rave reviews in their day. However, cossie parts might be a little pricey if something breaks.

I've been looking into that, and apart from major components, like the $700+ Cosworth head, the rest seems pretty fair. With this car, ALOT has been replaced, and I like having a history. Beats buying a newer car and not knowing WTF has happened to it before you got there.

Plus, it probably beats this in terms of repair price.

if it is that exact car, pimp shit that thing looks badass.

Actualy Clark, its this one, minus the stickers. ;)

I'm realy starting to like this, it's an historyic benz. It was the first car in a long time to bring MB back from lumbering luxury to performance luxury, and eventualy this, a much better direction. :wtg:

ohhh gunna have to look that up. :)

It was on a couple of days ago, I also watched it. Unfortunately, I deleted it after watching. If I think of it, I will look in the listings and see if I can find the episode title or something. If it airs again, I could burn the episode to CD for ya.

I'm looking at one rather seriously to become a 4 door 4cyl gas sipper family ride. I'm looking for any info that anyone may have on them...? I've got the tech/history stuff down, and I like it. But I'm looking for more personal experience and opinions of the cars, reliability, service, etc etc. "I had one, my buddy had one, my babysitters babies daddy had one and..."

Anyone?

Nice car but they are not very reiliable the 2.3 is known to break :) My friend had one and it really was not that great of a car he got his for like 500$ expensive to maintain (Ie basic parts are expensive) also it did not get that great of gas millage if rember correct honestly i would not put that in my reliable area of cars to buy when you can get so much more car in like a newer crown vic / someting like that and ok gas millage.

This is not the same 2.3. ;) You buddy had an 8 valve, this is the 2.3 liter 16 valve Cosworth built 7000 rpm, 187bhp engine....and was recently rebuilt. ;)

that car looks pretty sick the way it sits... maybe a future purchase is in order....

Happy hunting, there are probably about 10 in the country for sale right now, the nearest one is in Indiana. ;)

This is not the same 2.3. ;) You buddy had an 8 valve, this is the 2.3 liter 16 valve Cosworth built 7000 rpm, 187bhp engine....and was recently rebuilt. ;)

Happy hunting, there are probably about 10 in the country for sale right now, the nearest one is in Indiana. ;)

i just found like 6 on E-bay in about 4 minutes.... :rolleyes:

I think id pick up a 944 Turbo before the Benz newaz

it was on top gear not too long ago. they picked it as a future collector's item. they really seemed to fancy it, as do i.

They may become collectors items someday. Right now a Cossie in good condition will easily go for around ballpark 8k. I've seen them between 4500 and 12000. They only brought around 2000 to the US so they are somewhat rare. The true collectors item is the EVO II. Those still go for 20-30k...if you can even find one.

They may become collectors items someday. Right now a Cossie in good condition will easily go for around ballpark 8k. I've seen them between 4500 and 12000. They only brought around 2000 to the US so they are somewhat rare. The true collectors item is the EVO II. Those still go for 20-30k...if you can even find one.

True, but they are like Germanies Superbird. Sure it was fast, but for god sake, look at the wing! :p

http://www.classicdriver.fr/upload/images/_uk/12334/img02.jpg

All wind tunnel tested and only produced so they could race it in the DTM series against the M3's. I don't care about the wing, that car is bad as hell.

Replace DTM with "that thur Nascawr", and you have the superbird excuse, also. :)

Either way, It looks as though I'm aproved for fundage and this car will be joining Scuderia Grothaus. :D And I did find the Top Gear drive of the car and enjoyed watching it..despite it being a different car. The one they tested was one I could not find any record of being sold in the states, the 2.5 litre as apposed to my 2.3 litre DOHC Cosworth. I dont mind much, 197bhp can be had by other, very simple means. Hell, why stop there? :)