CNN Breaking News: President Bush will lift executive ban on offshore drilling

Casper

Should we start offshore drilling?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should we start offshore drilling?

• Yes
    • No

we need better battery technology, we can produce a buttload of electricity with nuclear power, we just have no way of storing it in quantities needed to power cars, motorcycles, busses, etc...

I'm all for drilling offshore, if we got it, why not use it? (just not lake erie)

here is the way I see it, they say we have around 10 years worth of oil off shore.... There is no way we can't find a solution in 10 years, drill now, make the consumer happy and then issue government $'s to fund reaserch for Alt. Fuels

Gen. Crusher has spoken! Take the hill, troops! Take the fucking hill!!!!

Damn straight! Who would we have to worry about? The UN....pppffttt. That whole wind bag of a consortium is a joke. I still fail to understand why we're part of it.

Load up the M4's, grab some grenades, and get on the plane! Hell, one nicely placed nuke just on the outskirts of their capitol converting it into a giant glass parking lot and they'll be handing over the keys to the huge stockpiles of oil they're holding in secret.

Don't get me wrong, alternative sources of energy are definitely needed. There are a quite a few tree huggers around the world and they'd snatch up the "cool" little electric roller skates like a fat kid at a Cold Stone ice cream shop.

Here's the point we could easily have an alternative energy or cars that got 200 miles to the gallon in the next 5 years if we wanted. There just has to be a true demand for it. As long as we keep pumping out oil from new places you better believe they are going to take their time finding it. Milk everyone of us gas guzzling suckers for all we're worth with the current technology we have so they don't have to invest as much in new technology quickly.

+1.... besides, oil isn't the issue, REFINING it is.

we need better battery technology, we can produce a buttload of electricity with nuclear power, we just have no way of storing it in quantities needed to power cars, motorcycles, busses, etc...

I'm all for drilling offshore, if we got it, why not use it? (just not lake erie)

I'll take that as sarcasm, but honestly, that's another part of the problem. NIMBY syndrome ("Not In My Backyard"). There are so many people out there that support all these initiatives, just as long as it's no where near them. Gas too expensive, fine put in another refinery, just "NIMBY". Nuclear power the way to go, great, grand, just NIMBY. Waste disposal too expensive, dig another landfill, but NIMBY.

You make a pretty good point Squidbilly J. Everyone wants a new solution but no one wants to take part in the process. It's not the only contributing factor to the lack of energy development in this country, but it's certainly part of it.

The thing that would need to happen with offshore drilling is that we would need to go by the adage that charity starts at home. But it won't happen that way. We would like to think it would, but it won't. It will become the latest currency in America's change purse, and used as a bargaining tool, and that will only exacerbate the ever deflating US dollar.

And the thing is that this is most likely to be a moot point once the ballots are counted in Novemeber, and nothing will be done past talk. It's amazinghow Bush is relenting on this as he heads out the door, having had his entire political existence financed by the oil tycoons he valiantly attempted to protect and increast the wealth of during his tenure.

Here's the point we could easily have an alternative energy or cars that got 200 miles to the gallon in the next 5 years if we wanted. There just has to be a true demand for it. As long as we keep pumping out oil from new places you better believe they are going to take their time finding it. Milk everyone of us gas guzzling suckers for all we're worth with the current technology we have so they don't have to invest as much in new technology quickly.

[edit] this isn't aimed at Fusion, or anyone else on the board directly, I just quoted him because his response seems to be the by-and-large opinion of most of the people I know. Sorry Foosion :D [/edit]

ah, yeah... Having, literally, studied and having been obsessed to the point of it sickens some people, with the internal Combustion engine. I'm here to tell you 200 MPG engines don't, and can't exist. There isn't enough energy in a gallon of gasoline or diesel to make it happen. There is X amount of power in a gallon of gasoline, and it take Z amount of power to move a given amount of weight. Physics, can't change it. Diesel has more energy per gallon that Gasoline, and diesel engines are vastly superior than gasoline as far as efficency goes. In fact, Diesel engines are quite literally the image of perfection as far as the piston driven internal combustion engine is concerned. Ultra high compression, compression ignition, turbo charging, and with todays tech you can get amazing results from a diesel. Hell VW just released a 50mpg diesel Jetta (I think, or rabbit...) back in the 80's they had the same thing that people regularly got 52+ mpg with no tricks, bells or whistles. I'd be willing to bet people see almost 60mpg out of them. Kinda makes a Prius look bad.

Electric vehicles have been done before, and they aren't likely to make a re-appearance. granted there are a few souls who are making good attempts, and this company is making huge strides in storing electricity. The best option we have now is the just green lighted Chevy Volt. It's supposed to get ~40 miles on a charge (which will cost you all of a dollar or two of electricity when charged at home) and also has an IC engine on board to solely power a generator, that will in turn keep batteries charged (kinda like a locomotive, which GM is also a huge success in) If EEStor's company is legit and they deliver on what they say, coupling that with the Volt would make for a killer electric vehicle that would actually work, and possibly go hundreds of miles before a recharge is needed, that would also only take several minutes to recharge. Capacitors rock.

I guess the point is, like it or not, we've come quite a way with the IC engine, and IMHO GM's LSx engines with displacement on demand are the best option out there, that is in production, and realistic. I know there are one off small production cars that get way better milage, or can produce the same power with less size. The major problem is allot of people, me included have families and a car that moves only 2 people isn't an option. As nice as it would be to have a car for work that got 100mpg, and a car to move everyone around with that got 75 mpg it isn't going to happen. We have 3 cars and a bike. My 2500 1 tonne truck which I have no idea why I still own it other than it gets allot of use by my family, a 94 Cherokee that is more or less a beater that will also move the family in the snow/my DD in the snow, Her Cavi that she drives every day/kid mover and my bike, which is my DD in the summer when I'm going to and from work/other places.

As nice as it would be, to meet current safety standards (which keep getting stricter, and consequently keep making cars heavier and heavier) and get 100mpg its not gonna happen. REALISTICALLY it's not. You've got idiots in government and lobbiest who think you can have everything but you can't. you can't make a car 5000lbs and get 100mpg without changing the rules of physics.

ah, yeah... Having, literally, studied and having been obsessed to the point of it sickens some people, with the internal Combustion engine. I'm here to tell you 200 MPG engines don't, and can't exist. There isn't enough energy in a gallon of gasoline or diesel to make it happen. Diesel engines are quite literally the image of perfection as far as the piston driven internal combustion engine is concerned. Ultra high compression, compression ignition, turbo charging, and with todays tech you can get amazing results from a diesel. Hell VW just released a 50mpg diesel Jetta (I think, or rabbit...) back in the 80's they had the same thing that people regularly got 52+ mpg with no tricks, bells or whistles. I'd be willing to bet people see almost 60mpg out of them. Kinda makes a Prius look bad.

Electric vehicles have been done before, and they aren't likely to make a re-appearance. granted there are a few souls who are making good attempts, and this company is making huge strides in storing electricity. The best option we have now is the just green lighted Chevy Volt. It's supposed to get ~40 miles on a charge (which will cost you all of a dollar or two of electricity when charged at home) and also has an IC engine on board to solely power a generator, that will in turn keep batteries charged (kinda like a locomotive, which GM is also a huge success in) If EEStor's company is legit and they deliver on what they say, coupling that with the Volt would make for a killer electric vehicle that would actually work, and possibly go hundreds of miles before a recharge is needed, that would also only take several minutes to recharge. Capacitors rock.

I guess the point is, like it or not, we've come quite a way with the IC engine, and IMHO GM's LSx engines with displacement on demand are the best option out there, that is in production, and realistic. I know there are one off small production cars that get way better milage, or can produce the same power with less size. The major problem is allot of people, me included have families and a car that moves only 2 people isn't an option. As nice as it would be to have a car for work that got 100mpg, and a car to move everyone around with that got 75 mpg it isn't going to happen. We have 3 cars and a bike. My 2500 1 tonne truck which I have no idea why I still own it other than it gets allot of use by my family, a 94 Cherokee that is more or less a beater that will also move the family in the snow/my DD in the snow, Her Cavi that she drives every day/kid mover and my bike, which is my DD in the summer when I'm going to and from work/other places.

As nice as it would be, to meet current safety standards (which keep getting stricter, and consequently keep making cars heavier and heavier) and get 100mpg its not gonna happen. REALISTICALLY it's not. You've got idiots in government and lobbiest who think you can have everything but you can't. you can't make a car 5000lbs and get 100mpg without changing the rules of physics.

+1

physics limits the internal combustion engine to around 40% efficiency MAXIMUM (completely ideal conditions in a carnot engine)

the fuel we're using doesn't have enough viable energy in a gallon to do that much work...

[edit] this isn't aimed at Fusion, or anyone else on the board directly, I just quoted him because his response seems to be the by-and-large opinion of most of the people I know. Sorry Foosion :D [/edit]

ah, yeah... Having, literally, studied and having been obsessed to the point of it sickens some people, with the internal Combustion engine. I'm here to tell you 200 MPG engines don't, and can't exist. There isn't enough energy in a gallon of gasoline or diesel to make it happen. There is X amount of power in a gallon of gasoline, and it take Z amount of power to move a given amount of weight. Physics, can't change it. Diesel has more energy per gallon that Gasoline, and diesel engines are vastly superior than gasoline as far as efficency goes. In fact, Diesel engines are quite literally the image of perfection as far as the piston driven internal combustion engine is concerned. Ultra high compression, compression ignition, turbo charging, and with todays tech you can get amazing results from a diesel. Hell VW just released a 50mpg diesel Jetta (I think, or rabbit...) back in the 80's they had the same thing that people regularly got 52+ mpg with no tricks, bells or whistles. I'd be willing to bet people see almost 60mpg out of them. Kinda makes a Prius look bad.

Yeah I don't know anyone that means literally a 200MPG gas only engine. Neither did I. It's an exaggeration to make a point by most I know that make that statement.

I want one!

"The Opel Eco Speedster tops out at 155 mph (250 km/h) and clocked an average fuel economy of 113 mpg over a 24-hour road test. A combination of low weight (1,445 lbs / 660 kg), minimal drag, mid-engine design, and a 5-speed automatic transmission let the Eco Speedster rip and sip at the same time. Opel built the car to spotlight its ability to make highly-efficient, next-generation diesel cars that are a blast to drive. GM (Opel’s parent company) sadly doesn’t seem particularly interested in sharing such cars with its North American customers. -- http://www.flixxy.com/fuel-economy-performance-car.htm

"... GM (Opel’s parent company) sadly doesn’t seem particularly interested in sharing such cars with its North American customers. -- http://www.flixxy.com/fuel-economy-performance-car.htm

:cry:

Since we are the largest consumer of petrol in the world...:flingpoo:....the Auto industry will keep using us as target practice for crap flinging monkeys.

well that and Americans don't want diesels. We still associate diesel with heavy trucks, lots of noise, and bad smelling smoke. That and diesel still isn't as readily available as gasoline would make it a hard sell for most.

Also, how "useful" is that car. Yes I said that they are out there and do exist. but in the REAL world, that car is useless. I'd never buy one. I'm not too sure of any real people who would. granted it's nice and the fact it gets outstanding mileage is nice. but that car is probably stupidly expensive, all CF, and full of other exotic materials. Be realistic, make it out of mass produce-able materials and parts, put 4 (at least, but that won't haul me my girl and the kids) seats in it, I'll let you keep the 2 doors. that car just jumped up to over 2200lbs and would now get about 50-60mpg... about the same as the new Jetta. that and just because it will go 155mph, doesn't mean it doesn't take an hour to get there.

Did you know we've got a country (can't remeber the name) that's going to be drilling 70miles off OUR COAST LINE in international waters and basically stealing our oil right out from under us! Then they will of course sell it back to us and ungodly prices. Because the USA has a bunch of stupid idiots running the country. We need to pump our own oil now, other countries are already figuring out how to steal it from us! If the gov cared about the people at all, they would have at least dropped the tax on gas by now, but they have not. Fact is we have millions of cars on the road, and we need to make the fuel for these cars 'in house' instead of paying a kings randsom to other countries for their oil. Also the USA has more money going OUT than coming IN, which is not good, we are sending billions of dollars out for gas. Even if we developed a new super-duper techology tomorrow that we would not need gas anymore, Millions of people would not be able to afford the new vehicals, and would still be using gas vehicals until the lifespan of their vehical has expired. We need to drill for our own oil while researching and transitioning to new technology. If the government has started drilling more in the usa, like they said they would over 10 years ago when they said they wanted energy independance our gas would not be the price it is today!

Think about this. If the saudi's decided they wanted to charge $1000 a barrel instead of $150. The entire united states would be crippled. we would have a massive depression, food prices would become completely unafforable. We need to become independant so as to losen the tight grip the oil producing countries have on our balls, they could destroy our country at will, which they are already slowing doing.