How does a v8 single turbo system work?

DSM1290

I would like to put a turbo on my 350. But i can only find twin turbo kits that cost like $3000-$5000 an most are for fuel injection or TPI. I have saw old single turbo kits for sbc much cheaper. But I don't understand how it would work. Wouldn't your have back-pressure issue, if only half the motor had the back-pressure from the turbo and the other half just has a header. So if some can explain this too me,or give me a site that does i would really love the help.

Plan on investing a fair omount into a good carb if you are goint to go the carbed route. All the gaskets need redone, jetting work, better power valve, rising rate fuel pressure regulater, lots of custom piping, welding, fab....

Also, a thought for you, make you won fuel injection. You can build your own megasquirt system for about 200, about 300 for it do do spark as well, and have a much easier time when it comes to tuning the system. Plus there are plenty of chebby intake maifolds that already have injector bosses in them.

Lots of research and planing are the begining though.

Guest mudbutt
another opton is the gm 1227749 ecu. This ecu with the $58 code will run a boosted 350 right out of the box with minium tuning. You can pick one of these up for about $50 you can use an f body harness from a 90+ v8 car or a painlesss harness. Both will require a minor pin swap.

and thus we see why most v-x motors are natural twin turbo setups. good catch, brian.

of course, if you desire, you can make a single turbo setup work, and work well. there are tradeoffs either way you go. my personal preference is the twin setup.

Guest Removed
Maybe if you make the piping thinner on the longer manifold, the velocity will increase to meet the flow of the shorter side..

well Ive seen a lot of single v8 turbo kit's, that put the turbo in the middle.Just above the crank pulley! look at Howies V8 vette! it's the win!

And would crush all on this site!

well Ive seen a lot of single v8 turbo kit's, that put the turbo in the middle.Just above the crank pulley! look at Howies V8 vette! it's the win!

Just when you did yourself some good by laying low for a while, you bust back onto the scene with a hefty dosage of squirreling.

You never cease to amaze me.

Thanks for the help. And for those of you that can just say search google. Screw off, why do you even bother posting. Your a waste of space on this board.

Sorry man, I didn't mean to come off as a dick. When I was a newb I got it to, its just how it goes. My apologies.

Guest mudbutt
It is true that equil length is the BEST way to do it. It isnt horrible to do it the long/ short way. The most important thing is unrestricted pathways and smooth flowing transitions. Our kit uses tubular headers on both sides and the crossover merges into the pass side header. There are setups worse than this that do things such as a header on one side going into the rear of a log on the other with the turbo in the front of the log. Even these kits have proven to make tons of power and not kill motors. Either HP or TTI has a 5.0 drag radial kit that the turbo basicly comes off of a T in the crossover. This may look like it wouldnt work, but there is a local guy with either that kit or a similar design that has went into the 8s and some have gone lower.

Maybe if you make the piping thinner on the longer manifold, the velocity will increase to meet the flow of the shorter side..

If you do that, you increase the resistance to flow, even more.

Although with that setup, the turbo should spool for the a broader rpm spread than with equal length tubes.

Guest FBody Addict
another opton is the gm 1227749 ecu. This ecu with the $58 code will run a boosted 350 right out of the box with minium tuning. You can pick one of these up for about $50 you can use an f body harness from a 90+ v8 car or a painlesss harness. Both will require a minor pin swap.

can you not use a MAF system with forced air, or is it just easier to use the MAP system so you don't run the risk of blowing up the MAF sensor

Guest mudbutt
You can run a maf in a turbo. it is just that that the $58 code is native to the syclone and typhoon, which has the same displacment per cyl as a 350. You tell it in the editor to know it is running an 8 cyl motor and make a few small corrections and it is drivable. As always nothing is a substitution for a proper dyno tune, but this cuts time down a lot.

• 1 year later...

including him self into a wall haha