WTB "trickle charger"

wnaplay1647545503

Go to Harbor Freight on 161, they have them for around $16. Last year before X-mas, I picked up 3 for under $10.00 each.

Or go in and say "last one I bought was $10" and you get it for 10.

Why not disconnect the battery? I do it every winter on mine, no problems yet.

If a lead-acid battery sits around for any length of time without being charged, it will begin to form sulfer crystals on the +/- plates. After a long enough period of time, you will not get the battery to charge, since the sulfer will block the chemical reaction that produes the voltage. A trickle charger is the best, and most reliable, solution.

If a lead-acid battery sits around for any length of time without being charged, it will begin to form sulfer crystals on the +/- plates. After a long enough period of time, you will not get the battery to charge, since the sulfer will block the chemical reaction that produes the voltage. A trickle charger is the best, and most reliable, solution.

A lead acid boat battery isnt going to last more than 3-4 years anyway. Dosent matter if you leave it in the boat with the switch off (or ground off), or in a heated area with a charge every now and then to keep it 12v or higher. The vibration and banging kills them, the plates end up shorting each other out.

A lead acid boat battery isnt going to last more than 3-4 years anyway. Dosent matter if you leave it in the boat with the switch off (or ground off), or in a heated area with a charge every now and then to keep it 12v or higher. The vibration and banging kills them, the plates end up shorting each other out.

I disagree. A lead acid battery should last at least 20 years under optimal conditions. I have been working with marine batteries (and other types)for about 10 years now. That's actually what I do for a living. I have been dispatched to several power plants, nuclear and otherwise, to assist with their power (and battery) problems. I have been hired to help Sony DVD manufacturing, Cornell University, Mitsubishi Electric Company, US Dept. of the Treasury, FEMA, NASA, and others. But don't take my word for it, here is an excerpt from Exide's FAQ page:

How long should my battery last?

The life of a battery is determined by a number of factors, with the most important being proper maintenance. Amount of use, proper charging and climate are other elements that also need to be considered. A battery that is stored for prolonged periods of time without use or recharging can develop sulfation on the plates which will greatly reduce the time a battery will perform.

Certainly, vibration has a detrimental effect on the life of the battery, but not to that extent. If you use a car/boat battery the way it was designed, it will last 5-6 years. If you leave it for 6 months without recharging it, it's toast.

Yeah I was just there on friday. They didnt look al that reliable. Have you had any problems with yours?

No problems for the last few years, I agree it's not built as solid as my Battery Tender but I paid $50 or so for the Battery Tender seven or eight years ago. I have HF trickle chargers on the 87 vette, 92 Mustang, 69 vette, and rotate the Battery Tender on the tractor and other cars/motorcycle.

Or go in and say "last one I bought was $10" and you get it for 10.

Sometimes that is true, but for the price of new battery I would go out and pay a one time fixed cost of $16 to save a $60 battery. Batteries add up if you have multiple vehicles/motorcyles/tractors.

I have not had any problems with the 6 that I own. I also own a Battery Tendor which I bought 10 years ago for around $50. Last time I checked, they are still around $50.

Why not disconnect the battery? I do it every winter on mine, no problems yet.

You need to keep a charge(float/trickle) on a battery or it will go bad.