Anyone modify Saturns?

rogue male

if you are serious about modding a saturn, while it wont be worth it any way shape or form, there is always this website that i found when i thought i was gonna get a free saturn:

http://www.turbosaturns.net/

there are guides there on how to turbo charge, super charge, or nitrous saturns. there are also some hilarious videos modded mustangs and stuff getting smoked my these saturns on the strip.

...still dont think its worth it though.

Pretty popular site. I'm on it all the time usually.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt say im a noob, just a non poster, yea, just get tired of reading things like modding worthless cars and had to post and i still think this thread is someone joking, and an ip address needs checked.

I'm not sure who is joking. I mean, it's a joke to you guys that I mod and rogue male mod Saturns.

I don't think my original post was a joke. I was mearly interested in others who like to modify Saturns. I enjoy my Saturn, it gets good gas milage and still has some power when I need it.

I guess everyone's perception of fast is different. If you drive on the street 99% of the time people are on pump gas and almost every car makes less power on pump so when a DSM says that they can do 11s in the quarter it's most likely on race gas which is a lot slower on the street. If you are talking speed in the quarter that's a different story but again most people are on pump gas. How fast can you legally drive on the street? about 75mph. I don't like racing much above 100mph simply because it's too dangerous. So if your car has 500whp with race gas and you drive it on the street to race people that seems like a waste to me. The more whp you make on the street the less you can use on the street. In my mind if the car is capable of 100-110mph in the quarter on pump gas you have a pretty fast car. Now if you take it to the track and run it a lot then more is better. I guess my point is that if you can't use that much power on the street why do you need it? Drop $1500 in a cheap Saturn and you have a fun car to drive. Yeah it's not the fastest but then again most people that mod Saturns aren't rich...

Good discussion none-the-less

I don't think my original post was a joke. I was mearly interested in others who like to modify Saturns. I enjoy my Saturn, it gets good gas milage and still has some power when I need it.

I guess everyone's perception of fast is different. If you drive on the street 99% of the time people are on pump gas and almost every car makes less power on pump so when a DSM says that they can do 11s in the quarter it's most likely on race gas which is a lot slower on the street. If you are talking speed in the quarter that's a different story but again most people are on pump gas. How fast can you legally drive on the street? about 75mph. I don't like racing much above 100mph simply because it's too dangerous. So if your car has 500whp with race gas and you drive it on the street to race people that seems like a waste to me. The more whp you make on the street the less you can use on the street.

You must not know alot of DSM's then. But you are right, I am 9mph slower on pump gas. Damn those 127mph pump gas passes suck.

Also, why are you bitching about street racing? This is Comlubus "Racing" is it not? And it seems the mass posters are more geared to street action then track time. (The way it should be)

Keep it for the street, bitches.

You must not know alot of DSM's then. But you are right, I am 9mph slower on pump gas. Damn those 127mph pump gas passes suck.

Also, why are you bitching about street racing? This is Comlubus "Racing" is it not? And it seems the mass posters are more geared to street action then track time. (The way it should be)

Keep it for the street, bitches.

You forget that you need a lot less horsepower to make your car fast. Yeah the engine is the same but you weight about 1000lbs lighter. Therefore you can go faster on pump gas than a normal DSM as I had stated before. Racegas reduces detonation so you can go faster with a smaller displacement engine, your car can do that with less power; your swap is the exception. Ask any DSM out there using the scm61 and most will tell you that the turbo gets going after 25psi right where racegas is needed.

I understand this is a street racing forum. My point was that I don't feel safe racing much above 100mph. I wasn't bitching about it I believe that I was making a statement.

Ask any DSM out there using the scm61 and most will tell you that the turbo gets going after 25psi right where racegas is needed.

Which is exactly why if anyone was trying to be the pump gas king, they would not choose something like an SCM61. Your definition of fast was 100-110mph on pump gas. A nearly full weight 1g on a stock turbo can do that. A properly setup 16g'd car can go 110-112mph on pump gas with minimal mods.

Which is exactly why if anyone was trying to be the pump gas king, they would not choose something like an SCM61. Your definition of fast was 100-110mph on pump gas. A nearly full weight 1g on a stock turbo can do that. A properly setup 16g'd car can go 110-112mph on pump gas with minimal mods.

What he said.

And I had a 60-1, which starts to fall on its face @25psi. :)

Guest onebadkustom
If I might had, race gas is generally used on V8's or something with higher compression. Those who are running turbo's are running low compression, there fore do not need to run race gas because it wont like it. It will be better on say Premium at the most. Get what im saying? So don't say all 11 second or faster cars are on race gas because that does not have to be the case. I tried defending you, but when you make remarks like that.. it questions me...

Guest onebadkustom

Well, im just saying... the higher compression.. the more use for Race Fuel because the engine wont Spark Knock. Now, im not saying you can't run it on 4 bangers or turbo'd 4 bangers. But its more frequently used in higher compression V8's than lower compression 4 bangers. Some 4 bangers have high compression too. But when running a turbo, its more likely better off to run lower compression than higher compression.

Im not a genius when it comes to turbo's and superchargers, I just know a few things about them. I know more about Higher Displacement Carburated Engines. Ahh well.. its just me $.02, so no need to worry... :)

He is how it works...

By having a turbo on a 4 cyl car you are esentially creating a bigger engine. You are able to fill the cylinders up to a capacity greater than any N/A application. This in turn rasies the compression ratio. The more boost you run the more compression you will be running. This is why people run colder spark plugs and race gas; to reduce detenoation from the higher compression. People that build engines to be boosted tend to lower the compression ratio to the universially accepted 8.5:1 which seems ideal for running boost. Hondas tend to run a higher compression due to an efficent head design, using a stock engine, and if you start out with a higher compression ratio (stock honda) you don't need as much boost but this limits max boost in the end (special cases exempt). A lot of people like large turbos due to the fact that the air is cooler at low boost leves. The fins aren't heating the air by beating to death. This also alows for more boost on pump gas.

As for an scm61 falling on its face. You are completely wrong about that. Add race gas and crank up the boost to 30-35 and that turbo shines just look at the compresser map or the 1000s of people that crank it up to those levels. It's not a small turbo it needs high boost.

Good posts so far!

Your pal,

Ricer male

Jammes Downs, please shut up. Race gas can be used in ANY situation where pump gas does not provide sufficient octane to prevent detonation.

Boosted cars use race gas all the time. Some because they need it, and some for insurance. A hole burned into a piston sucks a dick.

Oh, and Rogue Male, in the end it's CFM, not PSI that matters in a turbo application. People use large® turbos to move a larger volume of air.

OH! BTW, put stock temperature range plugs back in your car. You're not running boost. You're not sprayed, and you're not running an 11:1 compression ratio. (unless you're hiding something) The Iridium plugs do not reduce detonation in your case, because (barring mechanical/electrical failures) you simply don't create the conditions in your combustion chamber that would lead to detonation. The ONLY reasons you would have detonation are: You got a tank of shitty gas, you have a fucked up water passage somewhere in your motor and a cylinder is getting insufficient cooling, you fucked up your MAF when you installed your 4" iceman Xtreme intake, you have a clog in your fuel line/regulator/rail/injector, you reinstalled your plug wires backwards. I'm tempted to lean towards either the bad gas, or there is oil on the MAF sensor from a K&N style filter.

Well, im just saying... the higher compression.. the more use for Race Fuel because the engine wont Spark Knock. Now, im not saying you can't run it on 4 bangers or turbo'd 4 bangers. But its more frequently used in higher compression V8's than lower compression 4 bangers. Some 4 bangers have high compression too. But when running a turbo, its more likely better off to run lower compression than higher compression.

Im not a genius when it comes to turbo's and superchargers, I just know a few things about them. I know more about Higher Displacement Carburated Engines. Ahh well.. its just me $.02, so no need to worry... :)

Please stop.

As for an scm61 falling on its face. You are completely wrong about that. Add race gas and crank up the boost to 30-35 and that turbo shines just look at the compresser map or the 1000s of people that crank it up to those levels. It's not a small turbo it needs high boost.

Good posts so far!

Your pal,

Ricer male

He said a 60-1 falls on its face at 25PSI not an SCM61. An SCM61 is considerably larger than your average 60-1.

I'd rather own this than EVER, EVER, EVER, mod a saturn. Even if it's a boat, V8 + RWD = Power! I HAD a Honda accord, and others had hondas once upon a time I know, TRUST ME WE ALL GREW UP SOLD THEM AND BOUGHT BETTER AND FASTER. Open your eyes, it's a HUGE waste of time/effort.

http://www.worksstand.com/burnout.jpg

Pretty popular site. I'm on it all the time usually.

Well I wish you'd go back. :burn:

Modding a saturn is like modding a lawn tractor to cut your grass faster it just doesn't make sense.

Anything can be made fast with the time effort and money but I personally would rather do something that is worthwhile.

My g/f has a Saturn and while its a nice daily I surely would never toss money at it to make it quicker. People never cease to amaze me.

Also to the original poster you are gaining absolutely NOTHING by wasting your money on 93 octane for your plastic car. Its made to run on 87 just putting a higher octane doesn't give you more power or better MPG. :woowoo:

Ok. So I get the feeling that everyone thinks it's not worth modding a Saturn. Basically every one thinks they are too slow even modded. So the question is what do you consider fast for a street car? I would personally feel that a WS6 that runs 101 in the quarter is pretty slow, especially with a V8. I'm interested in trap speed because most street races are from a roll or where trap speed matters.

So what's considered fast for a car in the quarter? and what's respectable?

90?

100?

110?

115?

120?

Or does it matter how far you can take a car? lets say stock traps 90 and you can do 110 is that considered fast or respectable?

Need a baseline here.

GRN96WS6 I assume you feel the same about Hondas too. Cute commuter car but that's about all.

Ok. So I get the feeling that everyone thinks it's not worth modding a Saturn. Basically every one thinks they are too slow even modded. So the question is what do you consider fast for a street car? I would personally feel that a WS6 that runs 101 in the quarter is pretty slow, especially with a V8. I'm interested in trap speed because most street races are from a roll or where trap speed matters.

So what's considered fast for a car in the quarter? and what's respectable?

90?

100?

110?

115?

120?

Or does it matter how far you can take a car? lets say stock traps 90 and you can do 110 is that considered fast or respectable?

Need a baseline here.

GRN96WS6 I assume you feel the same about Hondas too. Cute commuter car but that's about all.

I don't think modding any FWD car it worth a crap personally but I'm not on here dogging people for doing it either. I don't think your car is fast and I can guarantee that my old car could of easily smoked your piddly saturn on the street or on the track.

You don't think 101 is fast? I don't recall saying it was...hmm weird isn't it? I'd say it was quick but for a 3600lb 274HP car it wasn't no slouch. sub 6 second 0-60 times do not hurt either.

What does your car run again? Why are you putting 93 octane in it?

...you fucked up your MAF when you installed your 4" iceman Xtreme intake, you have a clog in your fuel line/regulator/rail/injector, you reinstalled your plug wires backwards. I'm tempted to lean towards either the bad gas, or there is oil on the MAF sensor from a K&N style filter.

Can you point to the MAF sensor on my car, please?