HPTuners software worth it?

Scotty2Hotty

there are a few people around columbus that have the software. if you find someone with a different year car than you have you can spilt the 500.

what are you planning on doing to your car?

you can talk to bill wright, sam, glenn, hua, or eric (Nitro ls6 is his name on the board)

they all have experiance with it.

there are a few people around columbus that have the software. if you find someone with a different year car than you have you can spilt the 500.

what are you planning on doing to your car?

New motor pretty much. Gonna get all the pieces together now, so when I come home for my 2 week R&R leave from Iraq I can start putting it together. It's nothing amazing really, simple increase of displacement.

I personally, am going with EFIlive FlashScan. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with HPtuners. It looks like a great program, and I was originally going to go with it. But, after seeing some of the new features that EFI is coming out with, and seeing their licensing deals, I think it is more up my alley. I think I remember hearing though, that EFI isn't offering anything for '98 model cars, yet. Or maybe it was HPT that wasn't offering it. I can't remember. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Both EFILive and HPT can flash pcms with cal files from anyone. All you need is the correct bin for the PCM.

Its defintely worth it. It can be quite cumbersome with all the parameters, but its mainly trial and error.

There is a repository for stock and modified bins...

http://www.horist.com/hptuner/

I heard a rumor that some of these software packages work on more then LS1's...like EcoTec's for example...anyone know if this is true?

I believe you can read DTCs. Doubt you could do much else with it as they lock them to certain years/VINs. Ramathorne seems to know his stuff on this subject. Maybe he'll chime in again.

I believe you can read DTCs. Doubt you could do much else with it as they lock them to certain years/VINs. Ramathorne seems to know his stuff on this subject. Maybe he'll chime in again.

Sure will,

I know for certain HPT should read any 96+ GM ODBII parameters. The list is quite huge as there are many things you can call on from the pcm. You can reset and check DTCs, but you may get the PID and the description just may read "Uknown" or "Check manual", but that won't interfere with clearing them. Both EFILive and HPT have bi-directional support, so you can play with the car, temporarly, say on a dyno: e.g. use it to verfiy my injector settings are correct and the numbers taht go in are the numbers that come out. EFILive did make autotap, so they defintely know what they are doing. I seem to like both, but HPT seems to be in more of a .Net code, things look a tad bit cooler, but both have ups and downs. HPT also has real time trace, I'm not sure I remember EFILive having this? Really simplifes tuning a very heavily modded car. Other then some minor stuff, like who has found table in x pcm, both products are worth the money.

If you were to ask me about pricing, I would say whatever works for you. The flashscan is neat, but I'm use to having the laptop in the car, I use home brewed idiot gauges so I don't kill myself or someone else if I'm doing street tuning. It gets pretty crazy and the flashcan is a great way to stay safe with both the car and yourself.

As far as locking bin configs, HPT does it, a few companies do it, but it's pretty much to the extent of changing around some VIN information, so data cannot be read when the OS ID is pulled. It does not interfere with scanning, though.

I heard a rumor that some of these software packages work on more then LS1's...like EcoTec's for example...anyone know if this is true?

Phil,

Mostly any 96+ GM gateway can be read. The PID listing is a bit different though, but since ODBII has standards to comply with, 99.9% of the time you can get it.

HP Tuners is a great product. They are coming out with software/hardware for Ford and Dodge very soon.

Also, they will be offering tuning options very soon for:

- Colorado

- Ecotec engines

- LS2/LS7

IMHO, HP Tuners will own the tuning market in 3-5 years if they keep up the pace they have so far.

I started out with LS1 Edit and then switched over to HP Tuners in spring of 2004. LS1 Edit is pretty much a joke now compared to what HP Tuner has to offer. I have tuned over 50 cars using HP Tuners locally and I can also do mail order tunes for 1999-2004 LS1/LS6 cars. I was also one of the beta testers for there new version, 2.0.

Bill

I just purchased HP Tuners 2.0 (99/00 LS1) a few weeks ago with the Enhanced IO for wideband

The car has been tuned this week, and i must say...for not knowing much about tuning, it's not too bad at all to learn. I do have a few very experienced people helping me on it. It is nearly limitless what you can do with it. It has helped me overcome a few hurdles with having an LS1 in an RX7.