Twin Turbos on a 408w Stroker Motor

70rsz28

My father and I are going to start building a 408 stroker motor this winter. We plan to piece together a Twin turbo setup for my Mustang over the next year or so. Im gonna use a dart block, billiet crank, forged rods, and forged pistons...ect... for the motor. Want it to be able to handle a good amount of boost(22psi +/- on 110 octane) but I have no idea what kind of turbos it would take to make 20+psi on a 408. Any suggestions?

Guest mudbutt
For twins on a 408 at around 20psi 60-1 would be a decent match. You could even step up to something larger if you desire more power. Remember, it isnt about pressure, it is about airflow. Pick a powergoal and go from there. 20psi at 70% > 20psi at 55%

My father and I are going to start building a 408 stroker motor this winter. We plan to piece together a Twin turbo setup for my Mustang over the next year or so. Im gonna use a dart block, billiet crank, forged rods, and forged pistons...ect... for the motor. Want it to be able to handle a good amount of boost(22psi +/- on 110 octane) but I have no idea what kind of turbos it would take to make 20+psi on a 408. Any suggestions?

What kind of Compression Ratio do you expct out of this? You would want a turbo that isn't going to take excessively long to spool, and will have a good powerband.

Also how much are you looking to spend? Do you want a Ball Bearing Turbo? Do you want a Hybrid Turbo? Effectively asking what turbo to slap on depends on a whole list of things.

As Aj Stated a straight T04E, would be a decent choice.

You may also want to look into a T04S 60-1 also the T4GT40 would not be a bad choice. Each one of those can be bought for under 1k a piece new. Also what kind of golas do you have for the car? Is is strictly a drag car, or do you also want it to be streetable?

You may want to check these guys out for decent turbo prices:

http://www.phoenixturbo.com

This is where i bought my first Turbo from, and is where i will be buying me next turbo from. Best of luck on the project.

mine is a .60 trim, together there good for over 1000 horse and i paid $500 each brand new. i think your a fool if you pay anything close to 1k each for a turbo unless its 1 big hair drier. and no higher that 8:0.1 on the CR or your gonna have to start lowering the boost. also an intercooler is a must.

Guest mudbutt
mine is a .60 trim, together there good for over 1000 horse and i paid $500 each brand new. i think your a fool if you pay anything close to 1k each for a turbo unless its 1 big hair drier. and no higher that 8:0.1 on the CR or your gonna have to start lowering the boost. also an intercooler is a must.

.60 would be the a/r of the housing. 60 would be a trim and is not cast into most turbos.

.60 would be the a/r of the housing. 60 would be a trim and is not cast into most turbos.

Yup Yup.

My T3/T04E is a 60 Trim with a .58A/R, and that is for a 4 banger. A 60 trim turbo isn't very big, but can support up to about 500 Ponies.

**EDIT** Although a T3/T04E can support 500 horse, it's optimal flow is deffinately no where near that. I would say optimally a 60 trim T3/T04E is really only capable of 400 horse. Personally on this project with the camaro to get your best results i would go with a 60-1 turbo as stated earlier. Your going to get what you pay for and those 60-1 Turbos can support up to 650 or so Ponies.

Corey from Slowmotion runs a GT40R at 30 PSI, close to max efficiency, and is getting 700 WHP out of it. That is close to the most he will get with that turbo, and that turbo puts a T3/T04E to shame.

Turbo Turbine Wheel trim A/R Size HP

TO4E 60 Trim P-trim .68 580

i talked to 3 turbo companys and all of them said this will work the best. fast spool up and plenty of air. i also talked to Wheel to Wheel in michigan about this set up and they told me it is a good set up. i know alot of you guys think you know what your doing but i have done the home work on this for my car and though for over 6 months about what set up i wanted and what works for my car. i don't just slap shit together. i know of 2 or 3 cars already running it and it works great. 1 of them is running 14 psi and throws down 800rwhp on 94 oct. so i'm not saying it will work for him but i am saying i know its a proven set up.

on a side note....call Comp Cams and be sure to get a turbo cam, they have a very low over lap so you will get the most out of your set up. standard cams will work but not be all that great power wise compaired to what you could be getting.

on a side note....call Comp Cams and be sure to get a turbo cam, they have a very low over lap so you will get the most out of your set up. standard cams will work but not be all that great power wise compaired to what you could be getting.

Deffinately make sure you are running some nice cams. I use Crower for my turbo cams.

lol kev you forgot its a push rod engine there is 1 cam unless it brakes than its a twin cam haha

HAHA, see there goes my lack of ANY Domestic knowledge again. Thanks for not making me look to incredibly stupid by continuing to think it had 2 camshafts.

Take a look over at http://www.turbomustangs.com I am assuming you are doing a ford. Also look up the user B&G Customs he is in Hamilton Ohio and does all the fabricating of headers and related tubing.

A quite a few people just use the f-cam and one guy over there "Brent" is well over a 1000rwhp with it. Otherwise I vote for http://www.camshaftinnovations.com as well "Jay Allen"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 408turbostang
place in delaware does custom turbo kits called creative custom choppers the person they have doing turbo kits is rob lasota they do good work and specilize in ford they even dyno tune if you have them put the turbo kit on so it all works out

i would never question it. the only way to go is the60-1 thats whats in thebanks kit. 1100 hp with 15 lbs boos and air to air intercooler. 600 hp at street level. killer turbos worth every cent. Im planning on either two 62-1 turbos which are just a little bigger or one t-88 or t-91 from turbonetics.

go single more efficient then two down side is slower spool time but end results are better then twin

thats an incorrect statement. there about the same no matter how you cut it and if you have a slow spooling turbo its the wrong turbo set-up.