Rampage Jackson. Arrested. Felony Hit and Run, and Evading. WTF?!?!

InyaAzz

Not sure that applies to Rampage. I don't think he has a habit of doing shit like this. He is a tad nuts though...always has been.
Then he needs to get help with it, or deal with the consequences of his actions like us average joes have to
I definitely don't think he's overpaid in anyway. You certainly can't compare the pay of pro-MMA fighters to other pro athletes. Even with as much as the PPV and advertising is bringing into the organizations.
I see what you're saying there Jeremi.....but the sport is growing phenomenally in popularity, and I'm sure they're making exponentially more now, than they did 10 years ago.....And will be making dramatically more in another 10 years.

How much do you think he's making a year? I don't know how much you make....but I'm gonna go out on a limb & say he makes more than both of us put together. Does he work any harder than you do...You like to train MMA? The reason his "skills" are worth more money than ours is because people are willing to pay to watch his, or buy his sponsored products. That's it. Plus he was born/grew to a certain size. That's just luck of the genepool there

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then he needs to get help with it, or deal with the consequences of his actions like us average joes have to

I see what you're saying there Jeremi.....but the sport is growing phenomenally in popularity, and I'm sure they're making exponentially more now, than they did 10 years ago.....And will be making dramatically more in another 10 years.

How much do you think he's making a year? I don't know how much you make....but I'm gonna go out on a limb & say he makes more than both of us put together. Does he work any harder than you do...You like to train MMA? The reason his "skills" are worth more money than ours is because people are willing to pay to watch his, or buy his sponsored products. That's it. Plus he was born/grew to a certain size. That's just luck of the genepool there

I think you're way off base Fonize..maybe not on priviledged athletes, but definitely on Rampage. Rampage is so down to earth, it's not even funny. Almost all of the professional MMA fighters are. WHY? Cause up until recently, they didn't make shit. they still don't make shit compared to what they go through! I agree, someone making millions of dollars to swing a bat is crazy..but teams pay that because that million dollar investement brings in much more money on the back end. That being said, when you step up to the plate, you're not putting your health on the line. MMA fighters are putting their BODIES ON THE LINE every fight. They deserve to get paid decently. THERE IS NO RETIREMENT PLAN. THERE IS NO UNION. THERE ARE NO HEALTH BENEFITS. THEY DO NO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS A FIGHT. So you know what ? All that hundres of thousands they make (only for the top athletes...the low and mid level guys don't make anywhere near that) has to go to paying their doctors bills..paying their trainers...etc. Only the top level guys get sponsorship that means anything.

I'm not saying Rampage's job is more important than yours or mine..but to suggest that he is overpaid shows a lack of knowledge on your part. it's not a flame..I'm just pointing out facts here. Rampage couldn't do your job, and I'm pretty sure you can;t do his job. Yeah it sucks that teachers and cops and the like don't make the kind of money they do..but this is HIS JOB. He is putting his BODY and well being on the line every day when he trains, and definitely in the ring. He deserves to be compensated...and trust me, Dana White ain't paying all that well compared to what he's pulling in.

And Rampage does NOT have a habit of doing something like this.

He clowns a lot in interviews...so what? He is selling himself! He LOVES to joke and clown around. That doesn't make him crazy.

And no one, at least I'm not, is saying that he deserves sympathy. I think some of us are saying he deserves a second chance..like anyone else.

Trust me I'm not trading blows with Rampage any day soon. :lol: He's got talent and earns his pay.

MMA is one of the sports were the gene pool plays somewhat very little into it unless you got seriously screwed genetically. Those guys are serious athletes that work harder than most for what they have. Sure it takes a certain kind of person and yeah having natural talent definitely helps, but I would never take away from what they've earned.

We won't even get into how time and effort it takes to get into the MMA big shows. There are a ton of pro fighters making only a few hundred dollars a fight at small shows.

I'll also add that MMA fighters are some of the most down to earth, humble guys to hang out with in person. Sure there are a few that could use some humility, but you can say that about any group.

I wish more kids would get involved in good martial arts programs. I've seen some amazing transformations over the years in kids, both physically and mentally.

You want to be mad, be mad at all those douche bag baseball players getting paid what they do. Frankly I don't think any of them is worth what they are paid.

Here's the payout from his last fight (UFC 86) as well as the others on the card. Compare that to Mayweather earning 10mil + a percentage of the PPV when he fought De La Hoya last year. Also notable, because after winning Mayweather started talking crap about being able to beat UFC fighters in an MMA match. :lol::boxing:

"Forrest Griffin: $310,000 ($100,000 base salary, plus $150,000 win bonus, plus $60,000 “Fight of the Night” bonus)

Quinton Jackson: $285,000 ($225,000 base salary, plus $60,000 “Fight of the Night” bonus)

Gabriel Gonzaga: $100,000

Melvin Guillard: $80,000 (includes $60,000 “Knockout of the Night” bonus)

Cole Miller: $80,000 (includes $60,000 “Submission of the Night” bonus)

Josh Koscheck: $70,000

Joe Stevenson: $60,000

Tyson Griffin: $40,000

Marcus Aurelio: $40,000

Patrick Cote: $32,000

Ricardo Almeida: $23,000

Chris Lytle: $14,000

Gleison Tibau: $11,000

Jorge Gurgel: $10,000

Justin Buchholz: $8,000

Corey Hill: $8,000

Dennis Siver: $7,000

Justin McCully: $5,000

Total disclosed payroll: $943,000"

--http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/07/07/ufc-86-salaries-released-griffin-and-jackson-paid-like-champions/

And Rampage does NOT have a habit of doing something like this.

He clowns a lot in interviews...so what? He is selling himself! He LOVES to joke and clown around. That doesn't make him crazy.

And no one, at least I'm not, is saying that he deserves sympathy. I think some of us are saying he deserves a second chance..like anyone else.

:werd:

Trust me I'm not trading blows with Rampage any day soon. :lol: He's got talent and earns his pay.

MMA is one of the sports were the gene pool plays somewhat very little into it unless you got seriously screwed genetically. Those guys are serious athletes that work harder than most for what they have. Sure it takes a certain kind of person and yeah having natural talent definitely helps, but I would never take away from what they've earned.

We won't even get into how time and effort it takes to get into the MMA big shows. There are a ton of pro fighters making only a few hundred dollars a fight at small shows.

I'll also add that MMA fighters are some of the most down to earth, humble guys to hang out with in person. Sure there are a few that could use some humility, but you can say that about any group.

I wish more kids would get involved in good martial arts programs. I've seen some amazing transformations over the years in kids, both physically and mentally.

You want to be mad, be mad at all those douche bag baseball players getting paid what they do. Frankly I don't think any of them is worth what they are paid.

Here's the payout from his last fight (UFC 86) as well as the others on the card. Compare that to Mayweather earning 10mil + a percentage of the PPV when he fought De La Hoya last year. Also notable, because after winning Mayweather started talking crap about being able to beat UFC fighters in an MMA match. :lol::boxing:

"Forrest Griffin: $310,000 ($100,000 base salary, plus $150,000 win bonus, plus $60,000 “Fight of the Night†bonus)

Quinton Jackson: $285,000 ($225,000 base salary, plus $60,000 “Fight of the Night†bonus)

Gabriel Gonzaga: $100,000

Melvin Guillard: $80,000 (includes $60,000 “Knockout of the Night†bonus)

Cole Miller: $80,000 (includes $60,000 “Submission of the Night†bonus)

Josh Koscheck: $70,000

Joe Stevenson: $60,000

Tyson Griffin: $40,000

Marcus Aurelio: $40,000

Patrick Cote: $32,000

Ricardo Almeida: $23,000

Chris Lytle: $14,000

Gleison Tibau: $11,000

Jorge Gurgel: $10,000

Justin Buchholz: $8,000

Corey Hill: $8,000

Dennis Siver: $7,000

Justin McCully: $5,000

Total disclosed payroll: $943,000"

--http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/07/07/ufc-86-salaries-released-griffin-and-jackson-paid-like-champions/

EXACTLY. If you had ever taken the time to go to a show or talk to most MMA fighters, they are the most humble peeps you could ever meet (for the most part). THEY DESERVE TO GET PAID! And they aren't. I had to fight in shows years ago in Kentucky and Indiana....for fuckin gas money and a hotel room...while the promoter counted his stack of $$$.

I would have to agree in that he is NOT Overpaid. Coming from racing Pro Motocross, participating in a dangerous sport like that requires that kind of pay. I have nothing to show for my racing except 22 broken bones, 19 pins, 14 surgeries, and countless concussions. What he did was wrong, as a human being, and I'm sure the Judicial system will treat him the same as you and I. I mean it's not like were talking about MAURICE CLARETT here! haha

OK.....I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying, and again realize MMA hasn't reached the same level as the big 6 yet, but I still have a few differences.

First off.....You're right.....I've never paid much attention to MMA other than the occasional fight here or there. 2nd......I agree....They're taking a far worse physical beating than any other sport, & from what you've shown here, get paid far less.

However ;).......All major sports have gone through the same growing pains of startup, no medical, low pay, no union, etc. Hell....When pro football started, college ball was so beloved in this country, that there was actually a stigma attached to the guys who wanted to get paid to play. IIRC, Jay Berwanger & Red Grange were the first two to break that stereotype. They had to GIVE tix away to Super Bowl I just so the stands would look somewhat full for the TV coverage

Or even "Pro" wrestling. :rolleyes: I don't think they went big until right about the time Hulk played "ThunderLips" in Rocky III....Early 80's. Prior to that they were considered a circus sideshow. Point I'm trying to make here is that someone had to pave the way in all these sports for the guys who followed so they could make the big bucks. I get the feeling that MMA is smack in the transitional period right now & on the cusp of going BIG time!! They've worked hard to clean their image the last 10-15 years & are now considered legit & going mainstream America....Which is where the big $$$ is

Also......If these guys are so unhappy with the situation....Then they always have the option to go work a regular job like the rest of us schlubs. They must be making OK coin to continue taking the beatings they do. I know they have to have a passion for their sport to continue as they do & achieve the level some have.....but love only covers so many bloody noses & broken bones

Fuse.....Am I reading your pay grid correctly in that Rampage got $285k for that night? I understand he had to pay medical & his crew, but c'mon guys....You wouldn't step in the ring with one of these guys if you knew you were still gonna net 6 figures for the night?!? :boxing: How often do they fight a year......3-5 times in the upper ranks?

As far as Rampage not usually acting like this & getting a 2nd chance.......I guess time will tell if he deserves & earns one on that

I'll use Kimbo as an example to argue your point here. You guys all pretty soundly flogged him after that CBS special in May, saying how bad he sucked, & didn't deserve to be the main event. BUT....He was there 'cause he's freakin' HUGE & can knock people out. He made his $$$ that night in big part from his genetics.....Not his skill, as you guys all said
That being said, when you step up to the plate, you're not putting your health on the line. MMA fighters are putting their BODIES ON THE LINE every fight.
Unless you get hit by a 100mph fastball in the wrong place! ;) I definately agree though....Like I said above....They're getting paid millions to play a children's game. :puke: It's nothing really useful to society at large

Man he just made a fucking mistake. Were all human no matter how much money, or fame. It just matters if they learn from their mistakes.

No doubt.

Fonzie..I think we're in agreement on a lot..and I do agree with you that our priorities as a race ( not as a country, because this stuff exists else where in the world) are out of whack. But you have to realize..this 'business' of sports is driven by one thing. MONEY. If there was not money to be made by paying someone a million dollars to swing a bat, it wouldn't happen. Nuff said. Some of your comments just come off as sour grapes because you're not making that money. Don't get me wrong, I would kill to make that money (even though, with all that money comes a different set of problems). But I;m not going to hate on someone who dedicates themselves to being good at a sport. If someone wants to pay them for that skill, who the fuck are you or me to talk down on them? Yeah, I know it's fucked up..but it's a part of capitalism. Like I said..if someone wasn't making money on the back end, it wouldn't be happening.

You don't train MMA, obviously..so you don't have any idea what these guys go through. This is their job..like you have your job. They live and breathe this stuff every day. I don't know what you do for a living, but I doubt it is as physically and mentally taxing as training at 150% every day for 10 hours a day. This doesn't make your job (or mine) or anyone else's less important.So, it sounds like you're saying that they don't deserve to make that money because they don't have a 'typical' job?!? That's haterism right there! If you're interested in seeing a typical training regimen I'd be happy to show you (that's not a smart ass comment..I really meant that. If you don't know how they/we train I'd be happy to show you). And not to mention the countless sparring sessions where you are getting your ass pummeled on a consistant basis. And you're right, they can leave whenever they want. BUT THEY CHOSE THAT JOB!!! Just like you choose yours. Really, you sound like a bitter grumpy hater when you say things like that. They don;t meet your standard of what a working man should be, so to hell with them. I guarantee you wouldn't last 30 seconds in their world...and NOR WOULD THEY WANT TO BE IN YOURS. That's called freedom of choice. Welcome to America.

Your comment about stepping in the ring to get six figures?!? That's not valid. No one steps in the ring off the street

just' to get six figures. Do you know how long he has been in the game? obviously you don't. Quinten didn't just pop up on the scene. MMA did not just start with the UFC. The US is just NOW catching on. Vale Tudo ..Pancrase...etc have been going on in Japan and Brazil for decades. Again, I'm not flaming you, but you really need to read up on the history before saying things like one of us would step in the ring for a six figure pay day. Not gonna happen. It takes YEARS and a lot of blood and sweat to get to that level.

Fonzie..I think we're in agreement on a lot..and I do agree with you that our priorities as a race ( not as a country, because this stuff exists else where in the world) are out of whack.
Agreed....I think we're arguing semantics at this point Inya
But you have to realize..this 'business' of sports is driven by one thing. MONEY. If there was not money to be made by paying someone a million dollars to swing a bat, it wouldn't happen. Nuff said.
I DO realize this, agree, and think I stated so above
Some of your comments just come off as sour grapes because you're not making that money.
Yup! ;) Came to me when I was busting my ass on the railroad for 3 years, working 70-100 hours a week in some rough areas, and working all holidays except Christmas day. I distinctly remember thinking one New Year's Eve in this shitty area down on the Ohio River in Cincy as I'm hanging off the back of a gon..."WTF am I busting my ass for just to make ends meet, and then giving that $$ to my favorite sports teams in a variety of ways (clothes, memrobilia, tix, etc)so they & the players get rich?!? :eek: It was at that moment that I had my epiphany & quit being such a big sports nut
Don't get me wrong, I would kill to make that money (even though, with all that money comes a different set of problems). But I;m not going to hate on someone who dedicates themselves to being good at a sport. If someone wants to pay them for that skill, who the fuck are you or me to talk down on them? Yeah, I know it's fucked up..but it's a part of capitalism. Like I said..if someone wasn't making money on the back end, it wouldn't be happening.
I know that's the way of the world Inya....but I also see the ridiculousness & insanity of it all. Maybe it's because I'm getting older & my priorities are changing
You don't train MMA, obviously..so you don't have any idea what these guys go through. This is their job..like you have your job. They live and breathe this stuff every day. I don't know what you do for a living, but I doubt it is as physically and mentally taxing as training at 150% every day for 10 hours a day. This doesn't make your job (or mine) or anyone else's less important.So, it sounds like you're saying that they don't deserve to make that money because they don't have a 'typical' job?!? That's haterism right there!
If they're willing to pay the money, then by all means.....Take all you can get. I just think it's a sad commentary on society how much we're willing to pay these athletes to play a game, & idolize them for hitting/kicking/thowing....whatever their physical prowess. I see it like a big con....How much of our hard earned money can these promoters/team owners/shoe companies swindle us out of for their own wealth. Agree with the comment I think you made above about teachers & cops

Oh....And after spending all day with 2 teens, a tween, & a toddler....There's plenty of times I'm 150% drained & feel like punchin' somebody right in the nose or takin' them to the mat!! :D

If you're interested in seeing a typical training regimen I'd be happy to show you (that's not a smart ass comment..I really meant that. If you don't know how they/we train I'd be happy to show you). And not to mention the countless sparring sessions where you are getting your ass pummeled on a consistant basis. And you're right, they can leave whenever they want. BUT THEY CHOSE THAT JOB!!! Just like you choose yours. Really, you sound like a bitter grumpy hater when you say things like that.
That'd be a blast.....for a few days 'til the novelty wore off & I was tired of pukin' & bein' beat on!! ;) C'mon dude....You say you do/did MMA. Not sure what your story is, but it doesn't bug you at all to see other's makin' the coin they do, when you, I'm guessing, aren't? You don't feel envious at all? Me a hayter?? Yeah...I hate the system, & a few of the playahs that don't appreciate how good they got it
They don;t meet your standard of what a working man should be, so to hell with them. I guarantee you wouldn't last 30 seconds in their world...and NOR WOULD THEY WANT TO BE IN YOURS. That's called freedom of choice. Welcome to America.
I think what I said was.....If they weren't happy with the income they were makin', they could always quit & work a regular job like the rest of us. They won't for 2 reasons......They love it, &/or they're making more money than they could doing anything else.

I already exercised my freedom of choice. I didn't like my job on the railroad & bein' away from my family so much, so even though the pay was pretty good......I quit after 3 years, when my wife was done with her degree. Now I stay home with the chitlins, and the pay SUX, but the benefits are irreplaceable....All the hugs & kisses I can handle....along with all the stress/chaos! Quid pro quo....Could you or them handle 30 seconds in my world? Which job is more important to society, & deserves more pay.....raising good, repsonsible, future citizens....Or beating a man 'til he's bloody & can't fight back? Rhetorical question, 'cause you already shared your opinion above about teacher's/LEO's, etc. So yeah.....I agree humans have their priorities whopperjawed

Your comment about stepping in the ring to get six figures?!? That's not valid. No one steps in the ring off the street

just' to get six figures. Do you know how long he has been in the game? obviously you don't. Quinten didn't just pop up on the scene. MMA did not just start with the UFC. The US is just NOW catching on. Vale Tudo ..Pancrase...etc have been going on in Japan and Brazil for decades. Again, I'm not flaming you, but you really need to read up on the history before saying things like one of us would step in the ring for a six figure pay day. Not gonna happen. It takes YEARS and a lot of blood and sweat to get to that level.

I know in reality nobody's going to just suddenly step in the ring & get paid that kinda money. My question was hypothetical....If you did suddenly get the opportunity.....Even knowing the bodily risk you were taking...possibly even death.....You'd still do it for a six figure payout, right? My point was...Even though they're not making football/baseball/basketball money, as several of you pointed out....They're still living higher on the hog than the rest of us....And all for being good at a game other's wanna pay to watch.

You guys say MMA guys are humble. OK...fine. Many other top tier athletes forget where they come from though, and who makes it possible for them to play a game while getting paid obscene amounts of money. They live like they're untouchable & the law doesn't apply to them, then when they fall from grace, suddenly find Jesus & beg forgiveness. How many times have we all seen that pattern before? Again.....You guys say this is Jackson's first infraction & he's not like that, and again I say he coulda' hurt people, I hope he seeks help, and only time will tell how/if he recovers

Let me ask you another question Inya. Had someone else.....say Kobe Bryant, done this same thing.....Would you care as much about my comments I made that started this whole discussion? Or are you being more sensitive about it because he's from your sport?

I agree humans have their priorities whopperjawed

Whopperjawed? :lol: I don't think I've heard that one before. That's great. I have 3 or 4 meeting today and I'm making it a point to use it in each of them. :D

Want to at least reply to the following while I have time this morning.

I know in reality nobody's going to just suddenly step in the ring & get paid that kinda money. My question was hypothetical....If you did suddenly get the opportunity.....Even knowing the bodily risk you were taking...possibly even death.....You'd still do it for a six figure payout, right? My point was...Even though they're not making football/baseball/basketball money, as several of you pointed out....They're still living higher on the hog than the rest of us....And all for being good at a game other's wanna pay to watch.

They also pay higher out of pocket expenses. They pay their MMA coaches, grappling coaches, striking coaches (Muay Thai, Kick Boxing, Boxing...), personal trainers,... Some of these guys do also work, but for the higher end pro's they often run their own schools, seminars and training centers/camps.

This isn't like other pro sports where you sign a contract and coaches, trainers, gear, facilities and everything is provided for you. You can't miss a game (fight) and still get paid.

Not as big? Maybe not, but lets look at a comparison of the somewhat recent NBA finals vs the "major network" (CBS) premier of MMA for EliteXC. Keep in mind EliteXC is no where near the popularity or level of UFC which airs PPV and on SpikeTV and EliteXC didn't have a big name card and only relied on the internet phenomena of Kimbo.

EliteXC: 6.1 million viewers

NBA finals: averaged 9.1 million per game

NBA finals game 6: 16.1 million.

There are fights aired constantly. It's grown so big an MMA startup Affliction is airing a PPV this weekend the same night (weekend?) UFC is airing a Silva fight on Spike. That's after there being a PPV last weekend and with another EliteXC being aired next weekend. This is a year round sport that has fights constantly being aired by those like UFC, EliteXC, WEC, HDNet, KotC... add to that the ungodly number of small local promotions that have pro-am (mix of pro and amateur fights) events. Even here in Dayton we have 2 that each have a show every 2-3 months and we're a relatively small city.

You guys say MMA guys are humble. OK...fine. Many other top tier athletes forget where they come from though, and who makes it possible for them to play a game while getting paid obscene amounts of money. They live like they're untouchable & the law doesn't apply to them, then when they fall from grace, suddenly find Jesus & beg forgiveness. How many times have we all seen that pattern before? Again.....You guys say this is Jackson's first infraction & he's not like that, and again I say he coulda' hurt people, I hope he seeks help, and only time will tell how/if he recovers

Let me ask you another question Inya. Had someone else.....say Kobe Bryant, done this same thing.....Would you care as much about my comments I made that started this whole discussion? Or are you being more sensitive about it because he's from your sport?

A first time offense like Rampage? He gets the same pass.

Agreed....I think we're arguing semantics at this point Inya

I DO realize this, agree, and think I stated so above

Yup! ;) Came to me when I was busting my ass on the railroad for 3 years, working 70-100 hours a week in some rough areas, and working all holidays except Christmas day. I distinctly remember thinking one New Year's Eve in this shitty area down on the Ohio River in Cincy as I'm hanging off the back of a gon..."WTF am I busting my ass for just to make ends meet, and then giving that $$ to my favorite sports teams in a variety of ways (clothes, memrobilia, tix, etc)so they & the players get rich?!? :eek: It was at that moment that I had my epiphany & quit being such a big sports nutI know that's the way of the world Inya....but I also see the ridiculousness & insanity of it all. Maybe it's because I'm getting older & my priorities are changing

If they're willing to pay the money, then by all means.....Take all you can get. I just think it's a sad commentary on society how much we're willing to pay these athletes to play a game, & idolize them for hitting/kicking/thowing....whatever their physical prowess. I see it like a big con....How much of our hard earned money can these promoters/team owners/shoe companies swindle us out of for their own wealth. Agree with the comment I think you made above about teachers & cops

Oh....And after spending all day with 2 teens, a tween, & a toddler....There's plenty of times I'm 150% drained & feel like punchin' somebody right in the nose or takin' them to the mat!! :D

That'd be a blast.....for a few days 'til the novelty wore off & I was tired of pukin' & bein' beat on!! ;) C'mon dude....You say you do/did MMA. Not sure what your story is, but it doesn't bug you at all to see other's makin' the coin they do, when you, I'm guessing, aren't? You don't feel envious at all? Me a hayter?? Yeah...I hate the system, & a few of the playahs that don't appreciate how good they got it

I think what I said was.....If they weren't happy with the income they were makin', they could always quit & work a regular job like the rest of us. They won't for 2 reasons......They love it, &/or they're making more money than they could doing anything else.

I already exercised my freedom of choice. I didn't like my job on the railroad & bein' away from my family so much, so even though the pay was pretty good......I quit after 3 years, when my wife was done with her degree. Now I stay home with the chitlins, and the pay SUX, but the benefits are irreplaceable....All the hugs & kisses I can handle....along with all the stress/chaos! Quid pro quo....Could you or them handle 30 seconds in my world? Which job is more important to society, & deserves more pay.....raising good, repsonsible, future citizens....Or beating a man 'til he's bloody & can't fight back? Rhetorical question, 'cause you already shared your opinion above about teacher's/LEO's, etc. So yeah.....I agree humans have their priorities whopperjawed

I think I agree with just about everything you said. I suck at multi quoting..so I'll just sum up my response.

Rampage has never once acted like he was above the law or things were owed to him. Again, like someone else stated, 99% of the MMA fighters are the most humble guys on the planet. Seems weird, but it's true. Yes, he coulda hurt people..but so could a stand up judge who got trashed one night and proceeded to get a DUI. Rampage made a mistake..and just because he makes more money than us doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a second chance. As far as Kobe goes..Pussy is my sport...not MMA. :cool: Just kidding. (Not really). Anyways..If this had been Kobe's first brush with the law, I would expect that he get the same treatment and second chance as everyone else. If Kobe, or anyone else, had a history of doing shit to bring the law into his life..then obviously my take changes. The reason I made these comments is because you were crucifying Rampage, and you don't really know anything about him. You automatically assumed he was an asshole (my words, not yours) and deserved to be taken down (again, my words). We both know there are assholes who make a lot of money who think they are god's gift to this earth. A LOT of that is how they get treated by society..in some ways, it would be HARD not to feel that way unless you had a good support system around you to keep you grounded. Yeah..society's priorities are fucked up. We all know it. It's not changing anytime soon though. And again, I'll say that MMA is not like that.

I have 4 kids. They are with me almost 24/7. I work about 60 hours a week. I have to cook..clean..work..do laundry..take them to camp..school...etc..etc. I know what it's like to bust your balls trying to provide for a family and be an 'Average Joe'. I also know what it's like to train hard at something I like..and not get paid doing it. Does it bother me that these guys are making money? NOPE. Like I said, this has been going on for decades in other countries. What does bother me..a little..is that it wasn't this popular when I was younger and able to train full time without the responsibilities of a family. Fighting in red neck bars in Indiana (no offense to the red necks out there) in cages covered in chicken wire and not getting paid to do it sucks in comparison NOW, but back then I gladly did it. Still, I think these guys are underpaid considering what Zuffa is bringing in.

Anyways..this is probably :beathorse:by now. I get what you're saying, and I agree with you..but don't automatically assume when someone who makes a lot of $$ gets in trouble, that they are an asshole who deserved it or think they're better than everyone else. Knowing Rampage, I honestly believe depression played a part in this. He went through a spat a few years ago when he got his beat by Silva twice in Pride.

Whopperjawed? :lol: I don't think I've heard that one before. That's great. I have 3 or 4 meeting today and I'm making it a point to use it in each of them. :D

Glad you enjoyed it & wish I could hear the instances of you incorporating it into your meeting vernacular!! lol.gif

Want to at least reply to the following while I have time this morning.

Not as big? Maybe not, but lets look at a comparison of the somewhat recent NBA finals vs the "major network" (CBS) premier of MMA for EliteXC. Keep in mind EliteXC is no where near the popularity or level of UFC which airs PPV and on SpikeTV and EliteXC didn't have a big name card and only relied on the internet phenomena of Kimbo.

EliteXC: 6.1 million viewers

NBA finals: averaged 9.1 million per game

NBA finals game 6: 16.1 million.

There are fights aired constantly. It's grown so big an MMA startup Affliction is airing a PPV this weekend the same night (weekend?) UFC is airing a Silva fight on Spike. That's after there being a PPV last weekend and with another EliteXC being aired next weekend. This is a year round sport that has fights constantly being aired by those like UFC, EliteXC, WEC, HDNet, KotC... add to that the ungodly number of small local promotions that have pro-am (mix of pro and amateur fights) events. Even here in Dayton we have 2 that each have a show every 2-3 months and we're a relatively small city.

Like I said.....I definately think it's poised/about to go big time

I think I agree with just about everything you said. I suck at multi quoting..so I'll just sum up my response.

Dude.....I was up WAY to friggin' late poundin' out that response!! rofl.gif But then again....I'm sometimes a perfectionist. That's why tons of my posts have been edited....'Cause even after "previewing"....I still find something that needs fixed to my liking ;) So you know the "joys" of 4 kids too, ehhh?!? :D

Anyways..this is probably :beathorse:by now. I get what you're saying, and I agree with you..but don't automatically assume when someone who makes a lot of $$ gets in trouble, that they are an asshole who deserved it or think they're better than everyone else. Knowing Rampage, I honestly believe depression played a part in this. He went through a spat a few years ago when he got his beat by Silva twice in Pride.
Agreed. Good convo.....I enjoy a good debate with people who don't get all pissy & hot headed. Great way to learn the opposing view thumb.gif

BTW....What's the spat a few years ago you're referring to above? Bout of depression you mean....Or was there another incident back then?

Also.....You two both answered the first part of my Kobe comparison.....but not where I asked if you would've cared enough if it was him to take the time posting like you did here in defense of Rampage?

Also.....You two both answered the first part of my Kobe comparison.....but not where I asked if you would've cared enough if it was him to take the time posting like you did here in defense of Rampage?

I would take the time to post in his defense. I'm sure it wouldn't be the extent as it was here. I enjoy MMA and I think as athletes and people MMA fighters are like no others.I just like to make sure especially as the sport grows people don't get the wrong impression of them just because they fight for a living.

I would take the time to post in his defense. I'm sure it wouldn't be the extent as it was here. I enjoy MMA and I think as athletes and people MMA fighters are like no others.I just like to make sure especially as the sport grows people don't get the wrong impression of them just because they fight for a living.

Amen. people immediately think fighters are meat heads..or just idiots because of what they do. There is soooo much more to the sport than just 'punching each other'. Every chance I get, I try to enlighten people. It's a violent sport...so it's difficult..but it's MUCH safer than boxing.

Dude.....I was up WAY to friggin' late poundin' out that response!! rofl.gif But then again....I'm sometimes a perfectionist. That's why tons of my posts have been edited....'Cause even after "previewing"....I still find something that needs fixed to my liking ;) So you know the "joys" of 4 kids too, ehhh?!? :D

Agreed. Good convo.....I enjoy a good debate with people who don't get all pissy & hot headed. Great way to learn the opposing view thumb.gif

BTW....What's the spat a few years ago you're referring to above? Bout of depression you mean....Or was there another incident back then?

Same here man..good convo. No yelling and the immature BS. It's refreshing to see other peoples perspectives. I think that's what makes you grow as a person...being open to other peoples opinions and perspectives.

As far as Rampage goes...Vanderlai Silva was his main opponent. A beast (thank the steroids for that). Silva was just mauling everyone..and man..I do mean maul. Rampage fought him twice..and due to lack of preparation, he got knocked out both times. He got real close to winning one of the fights...but the bell rang. Lack of prepation and sufficient training partners did him in. PLUS he had just got married..his focus was not 100% on training. After those two fights, he had to get his house in order. He left Pride and fought in smaller shows to get his confidence back up.

There wasn't this type of episode...he just became a different fighter for a while. not as agressive...and his demeaner was off.

Man he just made a fucking mistake. Were all human no matter how much money, or fame. It just matters if they learn from their mistakes.

ok well i have had plenty of really bad days and have been really up set but you didnt see me taking my tanker truck ramming cars and running people off sidewalks with a lit book of matches out the window. :p just thought i would point that out. yeah he messed up but he needs to be punished for his ignorance. what if he killed someone?

Dude lost his MIND yesterday!!!!!!! He hit more than a few cars..almost hit a few people..on the SIDEWALK! And ran from the po po. And get this, he did this in a truck with his big ol picture on the side. Dude was so messed up, they couldn't book him, they had to take him to the hospital.

Drugs are bad, mm'kay?!?

WOW. Last person I expected this from.

He should have an interesting time finding a sponsor--what kind of tennis shoes would he recommend.

He got arrested....again. Yesterday. Looks like his friends flagged some cops down because he was a danger to himself. Sounds suicidal now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is bi-polar...it definitely sounds like depression, at a minimum.

I didn't watch the fight..but I heard he came in WAY heavy. Something's going on inside his head. I hope he gets help.

He got arrested....again. Yesterday. Looks like his friends flagged some cops down because he was a danger to himself. Sounds suicidal now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is bi-polar...it definitely sounds like depression, at a minimum.

I didn't watch the fight..but I heard he came in WAY heavy. Something's going on inside his head. I hope he gets help.

:( yeah that definitely sucks. Hopefully he does find some help.

Well......At least this time it sounds like they wised up & got him before he endangered anybody else again. That was what angered me the most about the first scenario & inflamed me to write that first post. Sounds like he needs to be admitted & evaluated, 'cause the others may not be there to stop him next time

Well......At least this time it sounds like they wised up & got him before he endangered anybody else again. That was what angered me the most about the first scenario & inflamed me to write that first post. Sounds like he needs to be admitted & evaluated, 'cause the others may not be there to stop him next time

Yeah..like I said, this is out of character for Rampage. He is going through some mental health issues right now. Thankfully, he didn't hurt anyone.

If he came into that fight as heavy and slow as he was..somethings going on. I'm not happy with the way Dana set that fight up anyways. It took wat too long for him to defend that belt. And, when he came into the UFC , he didn't get much of a tune up. No tomato cans. Marvin Eastman (if I remember correctly)..and then Liddell. Anyways..different topic.