Buy a stove? or finish the basement?

Buck531

That's the question I'm pondering.

Now, the basement will be turned into the living room as it's twice the size of the one upstairs. It's a bi-level house, it's maybe.. 4-5 feet underground. I have a huge window on the side and plan on putting in another one. I need to rip out 2 of the walls, re-stud them, insulate, and drywall, them. And carpet. This will probably run me about a grand going by the figures of my other side of the basement I did.

Now, for the stove, it's REALLLLLLY cheap. No thermometer on it, and it just plain sucks. One of the knobs are busted off so that sucks.

I don't plan on getting a stove for $1000. But I know I can't do both. I'd much rather finish the basement, but I just wanted your opinion. The stoves I'm looking at are about $400-$500. Half the cost of finishing the basement. But, I'd probably get more use out of the basement. The stove works at all, it just sucks.

I'm leaning more towards the basement, but I dunno.

deffinately finish the basement... does the basement have flooring or anything done to it? if not, unless it's small, it'll probably cost more than 1k.. just my $.02

Well, it's kinda finished. The moron just put up a thin layer of drywall, and paneling. That's it. The room that I finished on the other side was close to a grand. It's a 17x9 room. Studded 4 walls and that included carpet. The one that I'm going to do is roughly double the size. I already put a new window in over there last year so that's $200 I don't need to spend.

I just need to stud, insulate, drywall 2 walls and carpet it. I have a really good hookup on the carpet too. That and me doing the work myself will save a good amount of money.

But yeah, I'm just going to finish the basement. Screw the stove. I'll get one next year :).

when we bought our house about 2 months ago we bought all of our appliances at Appliance Smart

we had a $1400 budget, and i got an entire set of black Whirlpool appliances..... including an electric flat surface range, a large stand alone freezer, a large capacity dishwasher, and a HUGE split door refrigerator with water and ice dispensers!

i Highly reccommend them over Lowes or Home Depot as i had priced everything through Lowes and gotten a voided sales slip from them for like $1800, took it to appliance smart and the lady got me all comparable items with a $400 savings

just my opnion