92 Toyota Corolla problems (high oscillating idle, overheated)…

Trouble Maker

First off it’s a 92 4 door, don’t know which model. But according to Edmunds they all have the same engine in it, some 1.6L with 102hp, 101ft-lbs. It’s fuel injected and has a regular old rotor ignition setup sticking off of the side of the head (cam driven?). Just in case you know this engine at all.

So my brother isn’t very car smart and has overheated it twice now. Finally took it into somewhere and they said his radiator is falling apart. Not a problem, it’s only $100 and very easy to replace. We just don’t want to replace it then have some other major problems.

The car is oscillating between 1500-2000rpm when at idle. My first inclination is that it’s got too much air coming in and it’s something wrong with the throttle body. Obvious steps are clean it, check the idle steeper control motor and passage, etc. Are the throttle bodies in this car one piece, or can just the idle stepper control motor be replaced if need be? It’s one piece on my talon and they are pretty expensive if you can’t find a used one, which is part of my concern.

Is there anything I can do to check compression or for problems with the head gasket/head warping before we do anything else? I’d like to get a compression test or a leak-down test done on it at some point anyways, just have never done one or had one done before so not 100% clear on what it entails and how it is done. If he’s done something that has damaged the engine to the point where he might need a new one, we might look at other options than fixing this car.

Anyone’s thought’s on a plan of attack for this car?

TIA.

Taht toyota has a vane door mass air meter cleaning it will do no good!

Ah, cool.

Can those get 'sticky' and not move like they should or not close all of the way? This could cause a high idle.

Anyone know where I can find what the resistance should be closed and open? I almost doubt it will be in that manual, those things usually don't have a whole lot in them.

I can print out all the specs you need at work! vacuum leak will do it 2!

Cool, thanks man!

the radaitor is a common problem with those, my bro has a 90' and he beats the shit out of it without doing matmence, it has 200,000 on it with no signs of stoping.

and for the high RPM cheak for vaccume leaks

I'm assuming this is if they (vacume leaks) are after the thortle body. I could see this causing a high idle too.

I really need to make a vacume leak tester. Been meaning to do that for a while.

Thanks for the tips!

The car seems to run great from what he says most of the time. He just doens't pay attention to it when it has small problems and they have a tendencey to turn into much larger ones. He seems to think a newer car will remedy this. :o

Guest Removed

All you need is a propane tank(small one), they make torch tips to screw on them.

I cut the end off of it and put a hose on it!

point the hose around stuff , when your close to the leak the idle will ramp up,

but i fell you are having a issue with with the idle controller's. they are vacuum operated and use a vacuum switch that is tapped into the cooling system!

You say its varys right, not just constant!

Just swing it by one day,, i can fix it!!!

All you need is a propane tank(small one), they make torch tips to screw on them.

I cut the end off of it and put a hose on it!

point the hose around stuff , when your close to the leak the idle will ramp up,

but i fell you are having a issue with with the idle controller's. they are vacuum operated and use a vacuum switch that is tapped into the cooling system!

You say its varys right, not just constant!

Just swing it by one day,, i can fix it!!!

Yeah, we have one of thos small propane torches. But jebus, I have an air compressor. I was just going to make one using the compressed air method.

I haven't heard it yet, but my Dad said it varies from ~1500 to 2000rpms, cyclically.

Thanks for all of the help via PM's too. It probably is the switch that changes according to the coolant temp that opens up a port in the TB for cold enrichment because I don't think this thing had this problem before, and now it does and the coolant is obviously low. We will replace the radiator and I'll let you know if it remedied the problem or not.