Mustang in Fast & Furious 3

verse

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
Are you kidding? what a waste of a good RB26. If God were real, he wouldn't let this happen.

Rb26 comes over on a boat!

Old mustangs die a rusty death, and getting harder to find a good one!

They wanted a motor the Japanese drivers would be used to for the performance driving in the movie, also its a good time to take the word GOD out of this argument since we all know its bull crap and just about the money and how quickly they could get a bunch or rice cars for the movie with whatever drive lines since we all know that Fast and F movies really don't talk about motors are much as how they are going to get into some rich Italians car mob for hiding money.

Guest Removed
By production, I mean readily available. A few more years and it could have happened. Fuck nascrap.

they were readily available in the later 60's! just like the boss 429 motors!

older ford racing catalogs had them as a crate engine, all you needed was a carb! :p

they were readily available in the later 60's! just like the boss 429 motors!

older ford racing catalogs had them as a crate engine, all you needed was a carb! :p

Interesting. It appears I may have been misinformed then. I was under the impresion that once nascrap baned them, they only made a limited run for drag racing.

Got any links to people who still run these engines?

OW-43 >*

Guest Removed
Interesting. It appears I may have been misinformed then. I was under the impresion that once nascrap baned them, they only made a limited run for drag racing.

OW-43 >*

Ill dig and see what i can find!

Guest Removed
and International makes that......Although ford does still make pushrod crate engines. like the 514ci bb we ran in our race car.

But that crate motor use's older block's , doesn't count as New! ;)

as far as i know Ford is not casting any more pushrod blocks!

OW-43 >*

True story:

What happened was that in '64, the 426 Hemi came out and kicked everybody's butt badly at Daytona. Only thing was that the Hemi wasn't offered in a production car, it was strictly an over the counter deal for selected teams. Ford lobbied NASCAR to allow them to run the cammer. Nascar said "No way!". Things got so heated politically (Ford threatened to withdraw factory support)and finally NASCAR, banned the Hemi and the 427 high Riser heads and stated that any motor used in competition had to be

installed in at least 500 cars available to the general public for the '65 season. Chrysler withdrew and Ford developed the 427 Medium Riser, won just about everything in sight including the '65 Daytona 500. NASCAR let the Hemi come back towards the end of the season, Ford started politicing for the cammer again, NASCAR still said "no" so Ford withdrew for most of the '66 season, coming back at the end of the year when NASCAR allowed them to use the smaller Fairlane body.

Roughly 200 of these engines were produced, around 50 as dealer add-on cars (i.e. like MR norm hemi's, or yenko's) bought from the public. Meaning there was not "option" for the engine, back then you could buy a car without the motor and pruchase a cammer out of the catolog and the dealer would install it. But the majority went strictly for drag racing use.

Guest Removed

and later in the 60's they produced the boss 429 to replace it , and put them in production in 70 mustang with engine codes t or s!

I think more then 200 sohc cammers were made. it is difficult to estimate how many complete SOHC engines were sold between 65 to 68(prices ranged from $5000 to $2500) , But a surprising number are still in existence and they are increasing rapidly in popularity among collectors of Muscle -era Ford products!

Shit, I missed all the Cammer conversation. They did produce more then 200, but Joel is correct on the rest. The problem is, despite the mad power those motors made, they were all side oilers, the vast majority of them were blowed up real good by drag racers over the years. i was real big into these a few years back, untill I found a long block for sale....for $25,000.