Electrical Question Tailights???

RedLudeSH

The tailights are not working on my 90 Prelude. I've replaced everything related to them per the helms electrical Trouble Shooting manual and Helms repair manual for the car. They still dont work. All fuses checked and relays replaced as well. Now I'm looking for alternatives since i currently cant drive at night. This will prolly involve some creativity as i just need to bypass the cars way of running the lights and make my own. What would i need to do and or buy to rig the lights to work off of a toggle switch of some sort. what should I tap into etc. I can't drive at night and am out of alternatives. I've been pulled over once and that is how i was alerted to this problem I got a warning but prolly wont be so lucky next time. My brake lights work fine, my headlights work fine etc. any Ideas??? Thanks :)

Find the lights fuse and see if there is power coming into the fuse box. If it is theres your power. You need to find out where your power stops at. If you do have power to the box then add more wire to this wire and over to a toggle switch. Then from the switch to wherever the wires go back to the lights. Probably some one will post about the correct way to fix the problem or help troubleshoot. Have you put power to the lights to see if they even work? It doesnt seem that hard to back track from the lights and figure out where the problem starts.

When I spent hours trying to trouble shoot this problem, I had another Prelude of the same year right beside me where everything worked. 1 by 1 I took every part related to this problem from that car and put it on mine. All the relays, control module, dimmer knob and the combination switch itself. Problem still persisted.

So will running a power source to the lights, interupted by a toggle switch allow me to turn the lights on and off manually? I didn't know how the lights work if there had to be a relay of some sort inbetween or what. Can I just put 12v to them off of a constant power source (like my cigerette lighter, suround light for example) hook one side to a toggle switch. Then the other side to the left tailight. Then use a tap from that wire to the right tailight?? If this works i'll do it.

This would only be a last ditch effort, I'm off tuesday and plan on busting out the Helms Electrical Trouble Shooting Guide one last time with my volt reader in hand. If I'm unable to locate the problem will my prior idea work???? Thanks.

Guest Removed

Use a fuse that can handle the current pull! it sounds like you got a bad ground.

Get out the old test light and see if you have power at the tail lights, if you do, you have a bad ground. You need to find where you do and dont have power, id be able to help more!

Guest racinbird
Use a fuse that can handle the current pull! it sounds like you got a bad ground.

Get out the old test light and see if you have power at the tail lights, if you do, you have a bad ground. You need to find where you do and dont have power, id be able to help more!

NO!! use a fuse that is suitable for the wire, not the current at which the lights pull. Obviously a 60a fuse can handle the current but the wiring CAN NOT. I doubt its a ground problem. Most tail and stop lamps use the same ground. Are the tail and stop lamp sockets the same??