Wideband 02 for 1990 dsm

John Bruh

I was thinking about upgrading to a wideband, but have a few questions. When using a wideband does there need to be 2 o2 sensors (one on the o2 housing and the wideband farther down the exhaust)? or can you simply run the wideband on the o2 housing itself?

You'd usually put the wideband somewhere further down for easy access. Easier to get a pipe off to put a bung in (or do it while on the car), easier to take in and out (the sensor), easier to wire. Your car would still need the stock o2 sensor generally speaking. You'd just have the wideband in as a separate system that doesn't interact with your ECU at all, only to monitor the o2's while you are tuning, and maybe as a monitor while driving. The wideband would not provide the o2 sensor signal to your (stock) ecu.

I've dealt with the Innovative and the Zentronix a little bit. I like both of thoes well enough that I'd buy one if/when I need one. I personally like the Innovative a little better, but a lot of people don't like the fact that the controller and display are one piece, and therefore a little bit big. The Innovative seems easier to use/setup and has more options for data logging other signals (with the addition of other pieces).

You can check out both of them, what they can do or can't do, and the avaliable accessories at http://www.zeitronix.com and http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

I'm sure there are other good options out there, these are just the two that I've heard good things about and have had some expierence with.

The more important question is why do you feel you need a wideband? They are fairly expensive. I think it's always better to have one, but people have went pretty damn fast in DSM's without them. Your money might be better spent somewhere else. I'm not sure I'm completely 'qualified' to answer that question though, you might want to check out Columbus DSM, but I'm sure those guys will chime in here too.

The AEM ( and some others) have the ability to do both wide and narrow band output. So you can use the narrowband 0-1v signal to the factory ECU in place of the stock sensor. In my experience though, I don't think the sensors last long at all when you mount them in a stock O2 housing on a turbocharged car. They just get too hot.

I would place the sensor further down the downpipe and keep the stock shit setup as is only using the wideband for its original intent.

I thought the AEM couldn't do true wideband, just what I've been told. Guess you learn something new every day.

It doesn't do any data-logging. That's almost pointless imho.

The Innovative starts at $349+shipping and the Zietronix starts at $279+shipping for everything you need, directly from the companies (probably more expensive than IPS could get them, if they can), for comparison.

Just saw that the Zeitronix needs a laptop to data-log. I guess that's the big difference between those two. You can use a laptop to data-log live from the Innovative, but it can data-log on it's own too.

Mike, how's the car doing? Haven't heard much about it lately.