Thermal coatings

Guest Removed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Removed
i'm having the same things coated in my motor right now through Philips Race Engines in grove city, he sends them out to calico though.

I'll have to give Mike a call

Guest mikiep

there is a little more you need to know when coating chambers & ports you can not just coat & go call me and i'll give you the rest of the info you need so you do not end up with a burned up cyl head this is where being a machine shop/ engine builder and someone who has an account to get a service performed we can complete the job after calico is done.please feel free to call .

thanks mike phillips

most coatings only last a short time ..its not a one time deal and your set for 100k miles if your lucky might get 10-15k miles....one maybe two race seasons..

RJwheels i worked there both loca ...is camp still at the beth store ?

From what I've heard about swaintechs engine coatings; they are actually impregnated into the metal. I've been told that, though it looks like it's worn off, it actually isn't.

Guest Removed
most coatings only last a short time ..its not a one time deal and your set for 100k miles if your lucky might get 10-15k miles....one maybe two race seasons..

RJwheels i worked there both loca ...is camp still at the beth store ?

Yep camp is still there , me and him are the onlyones that seem to stay !

I'm thinking of doing http://jet-hot.com/ on the headers and exhaust, but if i buy this used motor , it comes with stainless headers.

Should I coat the stainless header's, I'm mainly concerned with the under hood heat, not the looks!

There are obviously differetn grades of stainelss. As a generalization I would say not to the coating on stainless headers. I had a set of uncoated stainless SLP headers on the TA for years and never had a problem.

When I swapped to long tubes (non-stainless) I had them coated with jet hot. Don't expect the jet-hot shine/luster to last more than 4 weeks. Don't expect to heat to be any less, its still enough to melt most of the wire looms I did not get out of the way.

IMO, if you are concerend about underhood heat ... wrap the headers. Although this has its own set of problems....

Guest Removed
There are obviously differetn grades of stainelss. As a generalization I would say not to the coating on stainless headers. I had a set of uncoated stainless SLP headers on the TA for years and never had a problem.

When I swapped to long tubes (non-stainless) I had them coated with jet hot. Don't expect the jet-hot shine/luster to last more than 4 weeks. Don't expect to heat to be any less, its still enough to melt most of the wire looms I did not get out of the way.

IMO, if you are concerend about underhood heat ... wrap the headers. Although this has its own set of problems....

I do not want to wrap the headers, that is for sure, as is it now, I can't wrap some tubes because of clearance issues!

Here is a shot of my jethot headers since they are off the car. Notice how the flange retains the shine, the tubes loose their shine/luster, and at the collector it still looks decent.

At any rate, don't look for the jet hot product to reduce underhood temps, or any basic level of coating for that matter.

http://fisher.osu.edu/~shoberg_2/cr/jethot.jpg