are vw's worth fixing?

fooswinger

i've got an 87 golf gti with the 1.8 16 val 4 cylinder?I've heard mixed things about working on them.Pricey and easy to work on.But with it being this old I assume you could get the parts for cheap from junk yards or what not.Is this engine hard to work on?I'm obviously a newbie trying to learn cars so this is my first attempt to fix a car

hmm about the phone yes if you could that would be great

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with the Grease Monkey and when your done with it bring it my way and I'll run over it. Nah really, if its cheap as hell then you'll have fun learning about the car and how to fix it, but working on something like a honda, toyota, or even some american pos would be better for learning stuff since VW is pretty european.

87 was still built fairly simple. the smoke thing may be a simple thing or it could be more serious it all depends on miliage. the oil leaks are simple vws dont normaly dont leak. even if the rear seal is leaking it is a one piece seal so no pain in the ass split seals. call me if you are looking for some good tech info on your vw.

the smoke is probably oil burning on whatever its dripping out of hetaer cores are usually fairly straight forward to do...

get ahold of me or derek

256-4040 derek or 354-0635 Dave I can take a look at it and at leaste let you know where to start.

nothing is hard to fix some things are just a little more labor intensive than others

Guest Removed
vw=the suck. backwards ass enginered kraut boxes. if it's free, then it's atleast worth taking and smashing some shit with, other than that, IMHO they are simply not good cars.

plus one