Computer Gurus

SlowZ06

Okay, I have a question that may be considered stupid, but I don't know the answer. I have a SurfBoard SB5100 Cable modem attached to my home computer. I would like to use the same connection at home for my laptop. If I unplug the ethernet connection to my desktop and connect it to my laptop, it has some issue with its IP address. My question is, since there are two connections, can I use the USB connection to my laptop and the RJ45 Ethernet connection (both on the cable modem) to my desktop simultaneously? (i.e. A single IP address?)

And before anyone asks, Yes, I realize I could just go get a router and be done with it, I'm just broke and lazy.

I'm pretty positive you can't use them simultaneously, i could be wrong but doubtful. Try releasing and renewing your ip when you plug the laptop in( in command prompt type ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew). As a last resort if that didn't work then just power cycle the modem. When it comes back it will have updated the ip from the dhcp server and you should be fine.

I'm pretty positive you can't use them simultaneously, i could be wrong but doubtful. Try releasing and renewing your ip when you plug the laptop in( in command prompt type ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew). As a last resort if that didn't work then just power cycle the modem. When it comes back it will have updated the ip from the dhcp server and you should be fine.

Ditto ;)

Get a router and reinstall windows on your box that was directly connected to the internet. unless your postive you trust windows Firewalling ( which its good as long as iyts done from the get go) You could do aconnection sharing off your one machine use a crossover just to the other machine making youre pc act like ar outer but if you got z06 money im sure a router is not out of your realms of purchases if you need help installing it let me know.

Derrick, come get this new router I have at the house. I haven't used it in 3 years. Price = FREE

-Mike

And to think I wasn't going to bother you with another one of my computer illiterate questions.... :)

Thanks for the responses.. and Mike, I'll get that from you when I bring over your radiator.

you have to bounce the cable modem... the reason for this is because it stores the MAC address of the last connected NIC card and will not hand out an IP address to any NIC card other than the on with the stored MAC address... rebooting it will solve the issue.

but +1 on getting a router.