CCW Law change......

Putty

This came from the instructor I used for my CCW.....FYI

:nono:

I attended a class this weekend and was advised that there is a change in the law that could cause you to inadvertently commit a felony!

My understanding is that the intent was to allow CHL/CCW holders to carry in places that sold alcohol but not consumed on premises such as Kroger's, UDF, etc. They did not specify "D-6" permits which normally apply to this, instead, the law just reads "D", so you could be arrested in a Wal-Mart. That in fact did just happen last weekend in Marion . If in doubt, check with a knowledgeable attorney.

It's a damn shame. They train us and license us to carry, but don't allow us to carry where it is mostly going to be needed. To me, there are no "gun free" zones....Just places there are no "good guys with guns". That stupid little "no firearms allowed" sign only tells the criminal there are no people inside that'll shoot back at them....Oh well, what can we do.

To my knowledge, nothing to do with the alcohol related portions of the law changed. The major changes in the law that went into effect march 15 were the car carry thing, allowing OSHP/BCI to carry without a permit, and loosening restrictions on offduty carry for officers. I have the guidelines and the new section of the ORC at work. I'll check on that and consult some of the guys I teach with.