Ford recalling nearly 20,000 Mustang Cobras

Guest Kahamri

Guest Kahamri

Ford recalling nearly 20,000 Mustang Cobras

Updated: 4:18 p.m. ET April 11, 2006

WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. said Tuesday that it was recalling nearly 20,000 Mustang Cobra sports cars after receiving complaints that the back of the accelerator pedal could become caught in the floor carpeting and lead to a crash.

Ford told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in late January that it had received about 100 complaints and allegations of two crashes and one injury. The recall affects 19,140 Mustang Cobras from the 2003 and 2004 model years.

Ford said in a letter to NHTSA that the rear surface of the pedal could interfere with the carpeting during heavy throttling and make it difficult for the pedal to return to an idle position. The problem could be found in vehicles where the floor carpeting does not fit flush with the sheet metal.

There's an infamous vid of a black KB'ed 03 Cobra shooting across some lanes and crashing into traffic sitting at a stop light - and the word was that his pedal got stuck on the carpet, which led to him spinning out of control.

I have heard of several people with this problem.

As for the 20k Cobra's, that is what has killed the car IMO. They are no longer a small nich of vehicles like the pre-03 cars of 5k or less a year. They bumped production way up and killed resale value.....

There's an infamous vid of a black KB'ed 03 Cobra shooting across some lanes and crashing into traffic sitting at a stop light - and the word was that his pedal got stuck on the carpet, which led to him spinning out of control.

Yep, I saw that video doc. Though, I thought he was just a moron.

They actually put a STOP SALE on the IS250.It was only the 250 and we replaced the accelerator pedal assy and modified(cut) the carpet with a template.The customers got ipod nano's for their trouble plus a free tank of gas.

cobra's? or all mustangs? I was under the impression SVT only produced 5,000 cobra's a year.

According to the certicicate I got with my 04, they only produced 3768 that year.

This happened to mine on Brian's dyno with only 800 miles on the clock. Top of fourth gear and it's stuck on the rev limiter. For a minute there, I thought it was all over. Lucky for me, all the rotating parts stayed where they belong.

I really don't see where this is just a Cobra thing though. Unless the Cobra's carpet is cut different or is different in some other way, this should apply to all Mustangs of that generation. In my case, it was not the pedal itself, but the arm that the pedal and the cable is attached to. This arm gets caught on the top edge of the carpet.

For all those Cobra's on the "JUG" Trim the carpet and make sure you have a window switch. Having it stuck on the rev limiter with a respectable amount of nitrous flowing via the throttle switch could be bad.

Carry on....

Guest powers
the back of the 03-04 pedal assembly was beefed up and is unique to those years. Due to the design it will get caught on the carpet if all things are right. This does not apply to any other year mustang or any non cobra. They did in fact produce that many cars and with things like this the resale will drop on them once the GT500 starts to be available to the masses.

Guest Kahamri
cobra's? or all mustangs? I was under the impression SVT only produced 5,000 cobra's a year.

I really don't think there are 20,000 03 and 04 cobras in existance. May want to recheck your source there.

This came from Msnbc.com. I have looked but i can't find production numbers for the 04 and 05 years. I would take it to be all mustangs but the report said cobra's. Now if your including the SVT cobra's in this report. In 2003, there were around 13,700. http://www.modernengineuity.com/prod/cobra.html?do=8

Take it for what it's worth though.

Same site, 2004 said 5,664