Someone please elighten me!

Rotarded1647545491

Where the fuck... do so many people... learn how to write... using ellipses?

hal you know very well that you want a vr4... after all i told you... and oh yea my car is almost done... which means i might accidently accelerate fast next to you while you are accelerating fast... if you know what i mean... if u get a cobra i will be very jealous and i will have to mod my car more to keep up with you... and you will have to let me drive it... see you tommorow

matt

ok i talked to the guy and he wanted to run...he was jus a god awful driver...i have no idea what my car runs...ill find out when i take it to the track...this happened in mason on mason montgomery rd, and tylersville rd...

el·lip·sis (ĭ-lĭp'sĭs)

A mark or series of marks ( . . . or * * * , for example) used in writing or printing to indicate an omission from a quotation.

Seriously, where do they learn this shit?

The ellipsis is used, in most cases, to indicate a pause in what would normally be conversation. With the lack of personal interaction, the forum often allows grammatical errors to slide in order to preserve a more personal feel. Also, the double-hyphen function that word processors incorporate to indicate a pause for an appositive phrase is not present in the forum database. Therefore, we are forced to use our own devices to indicate a pause that would otherwise be obvious in normal conversation.

/thread

The ellipsis is used, in most cases, to indicate a pause in what would normally be conversation. With the lack of personal interaction, the forum often allows grammatical errors to slide in order to preserve a more personal feel. Also, the double-hyphen function that word processors incorporate to indicate a pause for an appositive phrase is not present in the forum database. Therefore, we are forced to use our own devices to indicate a pause that would otherwise be obvious in normal conversation.

/thread

Great summation. Unfortunately, I think it's flawed; we can denote pauses by simply using commas, just like I have twice in this sentence alone. Another case in point: you were able to eloquently and effectively communicate about ellipses - as though you would in normal conversation - without (and somewhat ironically) using a single ellipsis.

Great summation. Unfortunately, I think it's flawed; we can denote pauses by simply using commas, just like I have twice in this sentence alone. Another case in point: you were able to eloquently and effectively communicate about ellipses - as though you would in normal conversation - without (and somewhat ironically) using a single ellipsis.

So, in other words, some people are just fucking retarded

I agree. The only thing worse than ellipses is too many fucking paraboloids.

http://quiltingpassion.com/blocks/shapes/ellipses.jpg

http://oz.plymouth.edu/~sci_ed/Turski/Courses/Astronomy/2.%20images/2.%20chp2/6.multiple-ellipses.JPG

http://www.edmath.org/MATtours/Ellipses/ellipses1.02.2.1c.gif

I agree with you to a point. I think, and I think most grammaticists (is that even a word?) would agree, that simply adding a comma is just as grammatically incorrect as using an ellipsis in the wrong context. Commas are used to separate appositives, connect parallel lists, connect independent clauses to other clauses, and indicate quotations.

Simply adding a comma does not, I repeat, does not indicate pause. Look at the previous sentence; the correct grammatical way to write it would be, "Simply adding a comma does not -- I repeat -- does not indicate pause."

You think we have paraboli problems? We've been trying to solve the Mobius Strip problem indefinitely!

http://www.cecm.sfu.ca/~kghare/VRML/gif/mobius.gif

There is the theory of the Moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

I like Pie! Edit>...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

i use ellipses all the damn time...the reason being is that there are too many fucktards who can't read properly, and just blow thru commas and even periods...doing so, they tend to run everything together and the comment makes no sense to them.