Thoughts on the Ninja ZX-14?

Balian

It's all hype so far IMO. I have yet to see a non-factory rider get a good time with one. Even at the press release they were running low-10's stock. It took a pro to get in the 9's and even modded it isn't setting the world on fire.

A BUSA will still blow it off the road when it comes to TURBO's and serious mods.... :D

I would either get a liter bike for the summer or wait on the 07' BUSA.... ;)

A BUSA will still blow it off the road when it comes to TURBO's and serious mods.... :D

I'm not sure about that....Muzzy makes big power for Kaws...A friend of mine here in Cols has the zx14 and it's putting down like 218rwhp.

My BUSA is under $300 for 6-months FULL COVERAGE!

John,

What mods on the 14?

The problem with them is they have the same terrible frame design as the 12 so it makes sealing them for a TURBO HELL. Plus they are the new kid on the block. I know I don't want to be the one doing all the R&D for what works and what doesn't. Pretty much all of that has been sorted on the BUSA so you know what works....

Not to mention you can pick up a NEW BUSA for around $9,800 OTD and the 14 is closer to $12k OTD.

i was paying just over that for my sv for an entire year FULL COVERAGE! BTW, the R6 will out handle the busa and would be a lil more "fun" if you like the way the buell handled. busa is much more of a straight line/highspeed/comfy bike.

It's all hype so far IMO. I have yet to see a non-factory rider get a good time with one. Even at the press release they were running low-10's stock. It took a pro to get in the 9's and even modded it isn't setting the world on fire.

I would either get a liter bike for the summer or wait on the 07' BUSA.... ;)

Hardly hype. What are pros running on stock hayabusas? The answer: slower than they are on ZX-14s.

The bike has the potential, it is up to the rider to harness it.

Ryan, what are you looking for? First you talk about a ZX-14 then about an R6 - these bikes are in no way similar other than they are faired bikes. They are meant for two different purposes. One is a sport-tourer/drag whore (ZX-14), the other is a race bike in street trim (R6).

You need to figure out what you want the bike for.

Hardly hype. What are pros running on stock hayabusas? The answer: slower than they are on ZX-14s.

The bike has the potential, it is up to the rider to harness it.

Any proof!?!!?

I have seen all the dragbike, psycobike, sportrider, etc...articles and have yet to see anything faster than they ran a BUSA even from Ricky G and Ryan.

Modded and the gloves come off but still, considering the 14 has another 50cc and a longer wheelbase plus other upgrades it shouldn't even be comparable....

Yet they are running identical times as a BUSA with the same mods..... :o

WTF?? How so??

I've had USAA insurance in my own name since turning 18. No wrecks, 1-ticket on my record and have my cars and renters through them. It has been around $265 since I was 21.... :cool:

Check the BUSA boards, it is pretty common. State Farm seams to be the next best thing and then some of the private company's are getting close to the same price. Stay away from GEICO, Progressive, etc....

Just make sure you say GSX1300R and NOT GSXR. As soon as they hear GSXR they take you out of the touring class.... ;)

I've had USAA insurance in my own name since turning 18. No wrecks, 1-ticket on my record and have my cars and renters through them. It has been around $265 since I was 21.... :cool:

Check the BUSA boards, it is pretty common. State Farm seams to be the next best thing and then some of the private company's are getting close to the same price. Stay away from GEICO, Progressive, etc....

Just make sure you say GSX1300R and NOT GSXR. As soon as they hear GSXR they take you out of the touring class.... ;)

Hold on, I have usaa for my insurance, and I have had them since I was 16..

I was told that they don't do bike insurance, but they are partnered with like Nationwide or someone like that...

Any proof!?!!?

I have seen all the dragbike, psycobike, sportrider, etc...articles and have yet to see anything faster than they ran a BUSA even from Ricky G and Ryan.

Modded and the gloves come off but still, considering the 14 has another 50cc and a longer wheelbase plus other upgrades it shouldn't even be comparable....

Yet they are running identical times as a BUSA with the same mods..... :o

I am not talking about modded bikes, am I? Notice in my previous post the phrase 'modded' never crept in. I specified *stock* and stock only.

Now you sound like a Kawi fanboy (where is the poke smilie at)

'But the busa has 100 cc more than my ZX-12'

'But the busa has a longer wheelbase than my ZX-12'

Now the shoe is on the other foot. Guess that all adds up for a bad day...until Suzi introduces another Hayabusa.

Lets see - a 9.78@147 perhaps - from a non-pro rider?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3088&Page=3

He ran a 9.5 with another ZX-14 that was lowered, had a muzzy exhaust and power commander. The same bike that Ryan Schnitz ran a 9.17 on.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3088&Page=2

The times I am finding for stock Hayabusas as tested by the magazines are 9.8s to 9.9s at 143.

At the speeds/times we are talking about here, these two bikes will always be close. It's not like a 500 HP car vs a 400 HP car. These two bikes are separated by 10 HP (if that).

A hayabusa is a little cheaper on insurance. They consider it a sport touring bike.

ZX-14 is a sport tourer, too. It might cost more to insure because it has a bigger engine, however. Depends on how the insurance company classifies bikes and what their displacement brackets are.

Lemosley01,

That is the first article I have seen running anything faster than a 9.8. But it is still apples and oranges when it comes to magazine tests. But those are just excuses, sure the BUSA will probably loose "STOCK!"

Which IMO, will be a great day because then maybe Suzuki will get off there lazy asses and do something with the BUSA. It has only been the same for 8-years now with still ZERO performance improvements..... :(

But I still don't think the 14 is that impressive other than a few new cool dash features. They are still running the same times with light mods that the BUSA runs. When it comes to TURBO, they have NO chance. Plus with it being the new kid on the block the dealers want TOP DOLLAR for them. :thumbdown

Whatever floats your boat though....my BUSA sure as hell isn't worried about any little ZX-14R.... :thumbup:

Ryan, sorry for the thread hijack.

Josh, I'm not hating on the Hayabusa (ok, well, maybe a little, but I don't care for the ZX-12 or ZX-14 either - too damn big).

I can see them running the same times modded. 50ccs isn't that much, and, like I said, at the speeds these bikes can run, aerodynamics is much more a factor than raw horsepower, although the horsies are more fun.

After sitting on it, my next bike, if I were to go the sportbike/sport tourer route, would be a BMW K1200S. It's not the fastest or baddest bike on the block, but when I sat on it, I fell in love. It fits me perfectly. Too bad it's 18-20K, but I almost think it's worth it. Especially since I see brand new 05 leftovers for 15K.

Anyone care to buy a Mustang and ZX-9?

Hold on, I have usaa for my insurance, and I have had them since I was 16..

I was told that they don't do bike insurance, but they are partnered with like Nationwide or someone like that...

Did you have a motorcycle policy prior to the cut-off date through USAA?

If not, they aren't taking any NEW policy's but you can call and ask. Also there co-provider now is progressive which is a rip. Don't even bother calling them, it will be 4-times what USAA would charge... :(

• 2 weeks later...
Yea, but I also have to think of insurance. Busa = high insurance.

Check into it first. My wife rides a 04 R-1 and I a 00 Busa. The insurance on her R-1 is more than my Busa. The Busa a classified as a sport touring bike. Not a sport bike. That is maybe what helps with the Busa.

When I went from a 96 Gixxer 750 to the 00 Busa, my insurance only went up five bucks per month.