Brake question

Buck531

Ok. This may be retarded, but it's pissing me off.

A few weeks ago I noticed the brake pedal was going down further than normal. Check the pads. yep, they need replaced.

Go to the parts store, pick up some Bendix Pads for the front (I've used Bendix for about 6 years now on the car). I didn't change the rotors. They looked fine.

After about a day after putting them on. I'm getting this annoying as hell squealing noise when slowing down (about 5 mph). It only does it when I'm touching the brake lightly, and when I'm just about to come to a stop.

I've never used any type of "anti-squeal" crap on the brakes.. ever. Never needed to. I really didn't want to buy new rotors as these aren't old and they don't look that bad. I've also put brakes on my car since it was brand new in 98 and I never had this problem.

Suggestions?

Guest Removed

It's got everything to do with the surface of the rotor finish and properly lubing all the moving parts.... what people dont understand, is that the squeak is a vibration...and there could be several reasons why its doing it....slide hardware could be sticking.no shims.no resurface on the rotor(pad slap).etc...

The brake technology i use is 30 years old...and still to this day, when they are done right, they dont make a bit of noise.

p.s. give it the 1000 mile break in, and did you seat them after installing them!

Guest Hal
If you know anybody at columbus state you can have them machine your rotors for free. I would say always use shims or lubrication on the backing material, if the squeal doesn't go away after 500-1000 miles I would look into getting your rotors taken care of for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Tear them back apart, clean and wire brush everything, antisieze the sliders, slap $.07 worth of orange no-squeal on there. You'll be fine.

EDIT - Oh, and you can't tell rotors are alright by looking at them. Might be worth the effort to have a .001 or 2 or 3 taken off them and/or buy new ones for $19 a piece.