Need Computer Help!!!!

SPLN SUX

Ok, so i just spent like 1300 bucks on a new computer and i cant get the damn thing to work right.

Heres my system:

Okia 450w PS

ABIT AX8 PCIE motherboard (Socket 939)

AMD Athalon 64 3200+ Clawhammer

Radeon X700 512MB PCIe graphics card

1GB PC3200 DDR RAM

Maxtor 80GB ATA133 HDD

Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD

Windows XP Professional

So heres my problem. I had a netgear PCI Ethernet adapter as well (FA311), but windows doesnt let it work... i keep getting a "hardware cannot start (code 10)" when i used the add hardware function in the control panel. I tried using multiple drivers... none worked... i even tried reinstalling windows... no dice. So i pulled it out and decided to use the intigrated Giggabit ethernet on the ABIT AX8. Well, I plug in the cable, the little light lights up... but no LAN connection. Ive tried the connection wizard and networking wizard. The connection wizard says the connection should already be up and running... but its not. It doesnt even show up in "My Connections". The Networking wizard says it cant find any networking hardware. Ive installed all the drivers i recieved with all the hardware, as well as tried to reset both the cable modem and router. No luck.

I dont know if this is a hardware problem or a software problem. The drivers seem to be installed, but its not recognizing the hardware... but the GURU software shows everything is tip top.

Any ideas? I figured id ask before calling Microsoft or ABIT.

Yea, it was already enabled... there was something else called LAN boot ROM that was disabled... i enabled it... didnt help.

Its not recognized in the device manager either... unless its labled as a PCI somthing or other... but theres no networking hardware recognized.

well, theres no "LAN Driver" on the ABIT CD, but i downloaded a packet from the ABIT site, and it still didnt help.

wait you said it was installed in the device mgr, right?? or is it showing as a unknown device.

wait you said it was installed in the device mgr, right?? or is it showing as a unknown device.

Its not recognized in the device manager either... unless its labled as a PCI somthing or other... but theres no networking hardware recognized.

ok thats the first problem you need ot get the drivers for your network card and install them. actully once you do that that should fix the problem

Theres no card lol. Its integrated into the motherboard. The ABIT Guru CD that has all the drivers on it, didnt have anything labled anything remotely close to "LAN Driver", but i did download a driver packet off of ABITs site and installed it... no dice.

can you ping www.google.com?

If you have an IP and you are getting replies, It sounds like the nic is connected.

Open IE... click tools....internet options... connections tab... "setup"

use the wizard to add a connection. Never dial, broadband connection, etc.

If you unplug the network cable while the PC is on the desktop, does anything happen at all? When you plug it back in?

ive run every flippin wizard there is... no dice. Nothing happens when i unplug or replug the network cable.

Ive called both Microsoft and ABIT... and its a joke. ABIT says that it MUST be a software problem. The fact that its sending and recieving pings shows that the port and connection are working properly, but Windows isnt recognizing it. Microsoft on the other hand says that it is DEFFINATLY a hardware problem. Thier reasoning was that if all the proper drivers were installed, and the when the new hardware is added and cannot run... its a problem with the device itself. They couldnt give me a reason why 3 different network cards wouldnt work other than that the PCI slots probably werent functionaing properly and to call the manufacturer of the hardware.

This is complete bullshit. I just want to play Warcraft damnit :mad:

If its not working and you have the drivers installed, can see the network card in the device manager, then you have a problem with your network protocols or a defective driver or network card. If you have a known good network card laying around just disable the onboard NIC and install that one and its drivers. If that works then maybe you can just remove and reenable the onboard NIC and you might get lucky. It could be that some files are corrupt or missing that will get installed when you get any card to work.

Also make sure that Plug and play is enabled in bios. Its always possible that it isn't and is stopping you from installing the new hardware properly. Most importantly keep it simple. Correctly installing and operating a NIC is more involved then setting up most other devices and a wrong check box somewhere is all it would take to give you headaches for days.

Evan

ive tried everything... nothing works. I dont know what to do with it.

One thing i didnt see in the BIOS that i saw in the manual was a directory called "Network Boot Priority"... think that may have something to do with it... but dont know how to fix it lol.

Were do you live at If you want i can take a look at it .

As for nic's you should be able to get drivers for it no probelm in device mgr if you double click the nic card what are the dates on the drivers. if it says unknown or sometng like that it means you dont have drivers

Another sneaky trick I used to pull in the shop was read the chip info on the NIC itself and DL matching drivers. It may not be as easy with the newer integrated type, but maybe you'll get lucky and they will have a nice little chip on the board with some wording related to the NIC for a good ID

Evan

you get a link light?

device manager shows nothing under "networking adapters" ?

yes, i get a link light on both the router and the motherboard... and i can ping 127001, buti cant ping the gateway nor can i ping another computer on the same network. It losses all 4 packets.

I have my roommate looking at it now...