Is it possible?

Nate1647545505

This is probably going to sound ignorant, but it was something that crossed my mind.

Say we have carbed bike. With the addition of an EMS, a new manifold, and all related hardware - would it be possible to convert a carbed bike over to FI? (4 stroke, 2cyl - like a 80s or 90s 500cc engine)

I don't see why not. You may have to run some sort of stand alone to control it, but I am sure that it would be possible. I have read where guys onthe megasquirt web site are running the megasquirt on their bikes but I don't know if the bikes were EFI to begin with or not.

Megasquirt FTW. 2 throttle bodies, weld an injector bung in the intake port area. Just a function of electing the proper injector for the engine, and a fuel pump that will suport the injectors and not kill your electrical system.

The EMS and fueling are cake. You do bring up a good point, how do most EFI bikes handle fuel delivery? I was under the impression carbed bikes relied on a gravity feed? I think I'll be getting some books on motorcycle engines soon. :)

very possible. i've seen some guys who race the WERA Clubman class(pieced together singles in small frames) that run XR650's with full FI systems. it's basically just a kit that you wire in yourself. it'll take some time.