Salvage title questions

Brandon

I just bought a salvage titled car, and its in great shape its an 89 240sx coupe, just needs a new ecu and to be inspected, what do they look for when inspecting? Do i need reciepts for the engine ect to prove its not stolen...Or do they simply check to make sure its safe to drive, brakes, lights, signals, horn? I dont really want to pay 55 bucks for the packet that tells you the process needed to get it approved, but if i have to i guess ill suck it up. I am sure someone on here has gotten a salvage title approved for use again, so throw your experience out there! Thanks for any help in advance!

I think I posted at some point aboput this so you might search for it if you have any questions, as it was pretty long.

Short version

Once you get the vehicle ready, making sure that youy have any and all receipts for any big ticket items or anything that would have a VIN number on it of a serial number.

IE... engine, rear end, doors, hood that sort of stuff. This inspection is basically like a roadside inspection to get an inspection sticker. Verify that every bulb works, license plate, all markers, tail,turn and the rest. THey will check to see that the brakes, including the emergency brake are operational. Any rust holes over a certain size need to be repaired. Minor rust will not fail you. Verify that there are no fluid leaks of any kind, and that ALL the factory smog equipment, especially the catylitic converter (sp?)are installed and functioning. As long as those requiremetns are met, there shouldln't be a problem. Now, one mistakew I have heard guys making is putting tags off another car on the one that they are having inspected to drive it to the inspection,,,, this is a major no no and will ge tyou ticketed for fictious tags and possibly your car impounded. When you call to setup the inspection, ask what legal ways that you can take the car for inspection. I don't think it has to be towed or trailered, in fact I think that you are allowed to dirve it there without any tags, but whatever you do, DO NOT PUT TAGS FROM ANTHING ELSE ON IT.

Fair enough, The car has ZERO rust, it has everything it needs minus a front bumper, which i will track down. How crutial are these serial numbers, and what not, i am not to sure I will be able to get these, although I could simply copy them onto he "invoice" i am going to make!!!

i had 1 done u got to go to the m v an buy a form i think it was 30 or 50 bucks 6 years ago the form give u rights 2 drive the car on the day 4 inspection .u get the form an call 4 a date 2take your car i drove mine have a copy of your insurance papers an title with you. the the state troppers check every thing while you sit n the holding room.

I didnt see not a one 240 at the pick and pull yesterday

sidenote- ive got a free 240 ecu you can have if you want it.no one else wants it and i was most likely going to throw it away or practice chipping.

Ill take it. Where are you located.

The front end was in the accident, so the motor was replaced and the hood, fenders ect. This is the car i got my sr20 out of actully the damage was very minor to the front end, he just sold all of the front end conversion parts that were in tact!

My brother did this with his Duster a few years back. You can drive with no tags to and from the inspection station, they won't let you trailer the vehicle in for some reason. You'll need a receipt for the motor/trans, but they run the number to check for stolens, so don't worry too hard if you don't have one, just make sure you contact the place and let them know before you show up. Sheetmetal won't even get looked at.

All they did with my brothers car was check park and head lights, brake lights, reverse lights, and check the brake function. The hood was up for maybe 5 minutes, just long enough to read the engine VIN.

BTW, do yourself a favor and have the engine tag and the rest of the motor clean. The guy after my brother brought in a car that was liberally coated in oil, and the inspectors went over his car with a fine-tooth comb.