might be time to go shopping

Orion

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These should be high on your list:

B5 Audi S4 (you can find one for $20k or less with avg miles from a private party :nod: )

VW R32 (MAG has had their blue one for 5 months at $27 or 28k :rolleyes: go and offer $24k because I doubt they can sell it...that's what I'm doing in 2 months; carmax is only offering to buy them for $23k)

C5 Vette (but I don't know how you're going to get around in the winter :confused: )

Guest vee21

For a daily driver go with an STI or EVO. Good power and handling. When winter comes buy some good all-season or winter tires and have tons of fun.

my .02

Shad

I'm definately not going to speak for DJ but:

- S2000: DJ is not a small dude. And S2000's are meant for small people. That leaves out a Z3/Z4, Miata, SLK as well (probably more, but these are the cars my ass didn't fit into comfortably). No one wants to have to be crammed in their car, especially something you have to drive daily.

- WRX: Since he has (though I assume is sold now) had one, that should answer the questions. I'd assume no Sti, as his WRX was already modded.

- SRT-4: no FWD, and IMO would be a downgrade from a WRX.

- EVO: Has the Tyco Toy interior

DJ, I'd say stick with your guns and get the GTO you wanted. For that cash and MY money, I'd purchase a C5 M6 Coupe.

the cars that are on the short list at this point are...

ls2 gto

e36 bmw

benz amg c43

benz amg c32

f-body's are out, even thought thats what im currently rolling in. that car is just too damn big. i know that some of these other cars are big, but the f-bodies just feel huge to drive.

vette, probably out. yeah, i know its probably THE BEST fun car i could get into for the money, but ive never really been a vette guy, and i imagine they suck to drive come winter time. also, insurance would stab me in the throat.

audi s4. man, i really thought hard about that car. ive heard real good things about making power with them, and ive always liked the subtle styling. for some reason, i get excited when someone says "twin turbo v6." having been around jesse, though, ive kinda soured on the deal. he seems to have lots of little problems with his, and little shit like that would drive me bonkers.

evo/sti. dammit man, i just sold my wrx, and it was faster than an sti. as far as the evo goes, after having as many issues as i did with my galant (it was a rock in your intake, sir) and then getting fucked on a pre arranged deal for the evo, i dont think ill ever have another mitsubishi. fuck those guys.

honda s2000. obviously proposed by someone who has never seen me before. come on man, theres not a shoe horn big enough to get my ass into an s2000. besides, its a honda.

g35. you know, ive heard from more than one person that these cars feel cheap. they rattle, they shimmy, they squeak. i myself have no personal experience, so i may have to go test drive one. i love the styling, though. to be completely honest, if im going to buy something naturally aspirated, it better be pretty fast, or at least easy to mod.

eric, i heard you. the 850's are cool cars man, but i dont think theyre for me. a one off v12 has got to be expensive to maintain and modify. remember, this is going to be my daily, as well as my fun car.

before anybody hops in with a "you shouldnt let your daily be your fun car", let me say this. shut up. ive heard that, and its probably correct, but im not that guy, so leave it be.

For a daily driver go with an STI or EVO. Good power and handling. When winter comes buy some good all-season or winter tires and have tons of fun.

my .02

Shad

This is my thought as well. I seem to wrestle this question often. When you say daily driver, I have to throw out any rear wheel drive that is close to 300 hp or above. Even some of the lower 200 hp sugestions whould leave you stranded with some of the winters here(not last year). The sucurity of AWD is unbeatable, but you already know that.

B5 S4 is a great suggestion if you can keep up with the service of a used one.

As the Doc said,"what are some of your considerations"?

Missed it by 2 min. Not deleting though.

vette, probably out. yeah, i know its probably THE BEST fun car i could get into for the money, but ive never really been a vette guy, and i imagine they suck to drive come winter time. also, insurance would stab me in the throat.

I've never drove a Vette in the winter, butdrove my Formula when I first had it w/ snow tires and no traction control, and it did VERY well, so I'd assume the same for a Vette. Not that I really suggest rolling a Vette in the snow; that's what a beater is for. As for insurance, it will probably be a lot less than you would think for one. Remember, your average Vette owner isn't some punk-ass kid rolling it into a ditch the first chance he gets.

I've never drove a Vette in the winter, butdrove my Formula when I first had it w/ snow tires and no traction control, and it did VERY well, so I'd assume the same for a Vette. Not that I really suggest rolling a Vette in the snow; that's what a beater is for. As for insurance, it will probably be a lot less than you would think for one. Remember, your average Vette owner isn't some punk-ass kid rolling it into a ditch the first chance he gets.

Yeah, for what it's worth, I pay less for insurance on my Z06 that what I do for my 03 Eclipse. I'd imagine that has to do a lot with what Joe's pointed out - the demographics of Vette drivers are probably a whole lot different than the owners of Eclipse et al. drivers.