Windows XP Problems Need Help

CJINOHIO03

A friend of mine is having problems with XP. A message pops up all the time that says you might be a victim of software counterfitting. There computer was fine till some updates were loaded. Is there anyway to get rid of this annoying message? What to delete etc? CJ

Sounds like he doesn't have a legitimate version of XP. If he purchased the computer with xp already installed, I would contact that company. Whevener you update, Microsoft checks your OS for authenticity. If it finds that it is not authentic, it'll give you those popups and not allow you to update any further, except for security updates. I don't remember all the specifics off-hand but I do believe there is a way to suppress the pop-ups for some time. I suggest reading at Microsofts site about their 'validation tool'.

Here's some more info:

Customers found to be using non-genuine versions of Windows will receive a message during logon that their copy of Windows appears to be non-genuine and will be directed to the WGA Web site to learn more. Users who choose not to obtain a copy of genuine Windows will receive periodic reminders. Regardless of genuine status, users will not be denied access to critical security updates. Users who have not validated their computers as genuine, however, will not be able to install many updates, including Internet Explorer 7.0 and Windows Defender.

It's actually an easy fix, if you're quick -- I'll see if I can find the fix when I go to work today and add it to here. It's basically spyware on your system from microsoft, but by removing a couple files you'll be okay. :) No worries, I'll post up later.