Can I get some basic info on the 302/351s?

Bam

I'm looking for a 302 or 351, complete swap, and I need a trans as well. I would REALLY prefer it to be carbed rather than EFI. What transmissions (manual) do I need to look for? Are any years engines better (or worse) than others? I'm thinking like an old 5.0l fox body, like 86-90 would be the best?

Where can I find this drivetrain for decent money locally? Or is there someplace online you recommend?

I'm just looking to get information right now, and hopefully purchase within the month. I'm just planning some things out now and need some more info.

Thanks, sorry for the noob questions.

Sorry, I'm just going off the swaps website. This is going into an 83 RX7. I think I'm just going to stick with a 302 because they are more available, I was just wondering what the advantage was of the 351, like how much more power do they put out?

Were the 87-91 fi or carb? I don't really know much about older v8's, sry.

hmm, did that help clear any confusion?

any reason your going with the ford over a SBC.

None really, I heard they were lighter/had forged pistons some years? What SBC would you recommend? Also, the swap kit is about $600 cheaper for the ford compared to the SBC. That difference alone could net me the motor/tranny.

find you a forged motor and a set of used gt40-p heads and bolt a c-4 trans to it and spray the bejesus out of it

I'm not looking for insane power, just a fun car, I think with 300-350whp I'd be happy. If not, just use bigger jets. Any idea where I could find any of those things you mentioned?

I have a c-4 for 50.00 heads can be had for around 200.00 and the short block from free to 3 or 400 try corral and stangbangers if you are willing to go get the stuff they make the $ worth it most of the time. the other option is to buy a exploder like what is in my car (untill it pops at least) and run it. they can be had low mileage and come with the p heads that are good for factory and for the $. and buy a cam for it and go play.

bam, at you pull it you can find 5.0s all day long in lincolns and mercs. same motor as the stang, jsut different heads, cam, intake.

if your gonan do a head cam intake anyway, you can get the block for like $60

find a t5 pretty easy to come buy and in the rang eof $100-$300

get a good clutch, and quadrant assembly.

youll need a flywheel as well.

here is a basic parts list

5.0 block

heads

cam

intake

carb

starter

flywheel

clutch kit (includes, throw out bearing, pressure plate, disc)

clutch cable

t5 trans

pilot bearing

clutch fork

dont knwo what kind of pump youll need, are you gonna do a cell or use oe tank on the rx7? fuel lines unles syou can use the stock ones, i dunno what all you can use form the 7. but those are a good list t ostart wiht for the stang parts.

Awesome info Hoblick, thanks a ton. I definitely want a forged motor from the get-go. 175shot is huge, doubt I'll go that big but maybe for the track. :) I want it carbureted, but if I find an EFI one is it hard to convert it? I'm thinking even those years lincoln/mercs are already fuel injected.

I've thought about a fuel cell, but people say I can use the oe stuff, so I think I'll start with that and then think about upgrading from there.

is u pull it on 104? Do they have engine hoists for use?

What are the gt-40p heads? Are the factory on something or just an aftermarket set?

I guess if I'm doing the heads I might as well do a cam while I'm in there, what do you guys recommend? The car will see full bolt-ons as well as a shot some of the time, probably only a 100-150shot, and maybe only at the track, depends on how the car feels.

I ordered the kit today, and am starting on pulling the original drivetrain this weekend. wish me luck guys, hopefully I can have this all finished up by mid july or August.

going fomr efi to carb is a synch.

you pull the upper and lower intake manifold off the efi motor.

bolt on a carb intake.. and carb and thats pretty much the jist of it.

gt40 heads came off of 5.0 explorers and mountaineers.

the are iron heads though. they weigh a little more. where the FMS gt40 heads are aluminum and have a bit more flow to them.

for a camshaft a E303 is a nice mild cam to start with.

or if you are going to spray the car, maybe a nitrous grind cam.

and yes u pul lit is off 104

they do have an engine hoist as well.

Sweet, thanks for all the info. What does a stock 5.0l put out? I think they are rated at 225/300 crank? My buddy is giving me all this shit about just putting a stock 5.0 in, he thinks I should do the lt1 or ls1 for more power stock, I'm like its a shitload more $$$. So does anyone know what a stock foxbody 5.0l ran/putout? My car should be a few hundred lbs lighter but the power output would be nice to know.

Thanks