Interested in WRX Info

Drewhop

Basically im going to use it as a daily driver but also something to help transport the girlfriend and the kid around. Of course i want a quick car but something i can drive year round. But i also dont want a car that is gonna cost me a arm and a leg to upkeep. I think the suby fits in the category of affordable and reliable (when not heavily modded). Orion i may give u a call to get some impressions from you on your former car. All opinions are welcome just looking to get as much personal opinions as i can get.

Use nasioc, but becareful everyone there thinks they are an expert and alot of them are idiots. If you buy an STI http://www.iwsti.com is another place. I have had 4 WRXs since 02, I have owned an 02 an 03 and right now I have 2 05s a Wagon and an STI. Pm me if you ever need anything, or have a question.

Let me be the first to tell you from expierence that they are VERY safe cars. You will not regret buying one to transport the family around in. I will see If I can dig up the links of when I was hit by a red light runner and my wife hit the wall head on on 315 after the city decided not to de-ice the bridge in front of Riverside Hosp. We both walked away with out even a cut! Both cars were totaled and the doors opened and closed like nothing had even happened!

id say if you went cobb stage 2(what i have) you can pull consistant 13.5-13.9 at or close to 100mph. All it is a turboback,uppipe and cobb Accessport(basically a handheld ecu reflasher).

Its what I have on my car, very little turbo lag and it drives like stock except more power.

Nasioc doesnt take to these types of questions to well...they can be a bit hmm harsh.

cobb stage 2.5. cost me about 1700 hundred to get everything a needed, and had the install done in one day. 12.9 @ 106 at norwalk. and anyone who has driven the car will tell you its an awesome ride. the mods have been on there for a year and a half now, and never even a hiccup in terms of reliability. that car spoiled me.

The WRX definately looks like the perfect car guess i should stop surfing the web and actually go sell a few more cars. Im probally gonna find a 2002-2003 i need to do a little studying tho i dont quite understand all the Suby Lingo yet and what the differences are between the years drivetrain wise.

imo look at 2003+...stronger trannys. 02's seemed to be blowing up every other week once I joined clubwrx.net 2 years ago. Now its some what of a rarity to find a thread like that with 03+_ unless the owner was mod crazy or abused the car.

Exact same tranny in 02 and 03 and 04 and 05......

03 blew up less because people found out about 02s busting 1st and 2nd gear and were more careful IMO.

My 02 had cobb stg 2, and had 30,000 miles with that and no problems with the tranny. Then came a latino in a hyundai......

03 blew up less because people found out about 02s busting 1st and 2nd gear and were more careful IMO.

My 02 had cobb stg 2, and had 30,000 miles with that and no problems with the tranny. Then came a latio in a hyundai......

I remember the pics of that accident. don't the 06s have a stronger tranny.

My 02 had cobb stg 2, and had 30,000 miles with that and no problems with the tranny. Then came a latio in a hyundai......

03+ have RA gear width, and the 05's have a double syncro in first. I havent heard anything about any changes in the 06's.

They may match the width of the RA gears but they are no stronger. Go ahead and launch at 7k then power shift into 2nd at 6500. It will go boom just like 02s. Most trannies broke from high RPM launches and powershifting. I was on Nasioc when this was going on, I owned one of the cars but had no problems because I wasn't an idiot, everyone was even saying they were lieing to SOA saying they didn't mod their vehicle and didn't abuse it all the while posting for people to help to return the car to stock before taking it to the stealership. STI gears will break also if you beat on them. I'm no expert all I am saying is the tranny isn't all that bad it just can't take the abuse.....

03+ have RA gear width, and the 05's have a double syncro in first. I havent heard anything about any changes in the 06's.

I thought the 06s had the same tranny as the legacy GT first 3 gears were stronger or had different/harder syncors or some jazz like that.

Don't worry about the tranny issues. If you drive like an idiot then you have to worry. My '02 has 55,000 miles on it and I have an 18g turbo upgrade. The turbo has been on for the past 10,000 miles. I drive the car aggressively at times and have to problem with the tranny. Like Spaceghost said don't launch at 7,000 rpms.

I would definitely recommend a WRX, I just bought one and it is the nicest car I have ever owned. Lots of power, reliability, nice interior, good on gas, ect... they are all around great cars. I have also heard that the '04 and newer WRX's have stronger trannies. My first big mod might be a kick ass gearbox, either tougher gears or maybe even a STI 6MT swap :)

BTW, if you look at all the posts on any of the WRX boards, you'll find most of the "glass tranny" stories are told by 16 yr old yuppies who don't have the maturity or responsibility to drive a car like that. Most of those kids would blow the tranny on a riding lawnmower.

Sweet8Tooth, don't swap the STI 6MT, trust me I liked the gears on the 5mt way better. You are shifting all the time in a STI. Hell the EVO and STI have the same 0-60 time because the STI hits 60 at the beginning of 3rd, and the EVO reaches it at the top of 2nd. Just giving you a heads up. Go drive an STI, you will see what I mean. If you want to beef up the tranny on your car, get a set of treated RA gears.

Im definately looking forward to finding a WRX i spent about 3 months looking for my current car and ill probally spend longer finding this one. Im just very picky price and car wise.(plus i gotta save the money and get my car sold.)

Yeah im not one to try and launch a car that hard especially if its awd. I also gonna need to test out the suspension there are quite a few nice curvy roads here around newark. How are the stock suspensions on the wrx?