Rear swaybar help...

MrMeanGreen

I've heard that there are advantages from launching/traction by running a bigger rear swaybar in our cars. I believe stock to be 19mm, and I have the chance to pick up a nice 24mm piece for a good price, with poly bushings.

Can someone elaborate for me? Will this really improve off-the-line traction, and will this improve handling to boot?

Guest Removed

stiffer bars (aka bigger bars) will always help handling!

as far as hooking better... removing the front one will let the front end transfer wieght better, and having a larger rearone seems too help keep from twisting up the rear suspension on a hard lauch!

add a anti roll bar, and make it too where you can unhook the front sway bar at the track!

Guest Removed

so i take it you havent tryyed it at the drag strip then! that is what i was speaking of..

sorry for the confusion!

you lap pounder! circle jerking fag!

Guest Removed

you should be able too pull a 1.5 or better if it had more of a drag setup!like 90/10 struts,coilovers, ect ect!

what all suspension mods do you have?

Guest Removed
and all the added weight you have up front(ubper charger , intercooler, etc)which will only help the front tires bite the track harder in the turn!!!!! unless you have raised the spring rate in the front too make up for that!

Stock shocks and springs, upgraded chassis components. It's keeps it's handling capabilities, but still allows for good traction at the track.

I know I could pick up another .5 at the track by utilizing a straight-up drag suspension. But it's no fun for the street, and owning those unable to keep up in the turns is fun too :)

If you upgrage the rear swaybar that is going to change your turn in characteristics. I can't remember if it will make the rear loose or the front end tighter. But from what I have read in the past if you replace/upgrade on swaybar want to do the other as well. That way it will equal itself out and will keep a neutral balence.

• 3 weeks later...

Sway bars make little, if any, difference on a straight line launch, such as at the drag strip. They are essentially springs in torsion that come into play while turning. They work to control axle / wheel movement while force is being put on the outside wheel. In a very high horsepower car, a rear sway bar helps some by limiting the twist of the body around the rear axle, but I believe there are other more effective ways to handle this. I can't imagine a big difference in the typical street car.

Now they can make a significant difference in launching coming out of a turn such as in an autocross or road course.

A sway bar change will change the handling chararcteristics of the car. How it changes depends on the starting point (ie, oversteer, understeer, neutral), and the type of sway bar change (front, rear, bigger, smaller).

This isn't a typical street car, that's the thing. Launching with the stall, coupled with launching off of boost, the thing makes serious torque off the line.

After some additional research, it's complied that our cars suffer from "sideways traction loss" when we reach a certain power threshold. I've experienced this in a few ways, from launching to a burnout. Yes, replacing my non-adjustable pan-hard rod with an adjustable one will help with centering the rear differential (offset from the factory anyways), but it's a step in the right direction and not a complete process.

I have the 24mm swaybar and poly bushing kit sitting in the garage now. I JUST got the car running right about 30 minutes ago, so the swaybar will be installed later this week.

Thanks for the advice :)

This isn't a typical street car, that's the thing. Launching with the stall, coupled with launching off of boost, the thing makes serious torque off the line....

Gotcha. Then chances are it might make some difference, and certainly wouldn't hurt.

Do you have tires that can take advantage of all that power? The more traction you can make use of at lauch, the more of a difference it will make. Of course, things start breaking with bigger tires...

Be careful driving it on the street in the rain or slippery conditions - if the rear tends to come out now, it will come out even quicker with a bigger bar.

Lol, it hits sideways from the traction loss from a 70mph roll in dry weather. It doesn't see inclement weather for more than just looking pretty :D

As for the tires, they do just fine. I cut consistant 1.6x 60' on 275/50/15 BFG DRs. 8" wide :)