Any suggestions for the Lake Cumberland area?

sonavabeech

Mark and I are planning on getting a cabin during the week of Sept 14 -21st at Lake Cumberland.

Neither of us have been to the area and I've been looking up a lot of different places online.

I'll be driving the truck trailering my bike/bikes and Mark will be following behind / leading in front on his bike. (Yeah, I'm a trailer queen, I ain't ashamed...and I pack too much shit :D )

So, my question is what side / area is best to find a place to stay? I'd like to be close to an area that has jet ski / water craft rentals, stores, and restaurants. I don't like to "rough it" too much.

Ohh ohh pick me pick me!! I've been boating down there for 10 years now.

West side!!

Actually ok. We are docked at Grider Hill, but I'm not sure what their customer service is like anymore because of the new ownership. They've got jet-ski rentals and there is the lodge restaurant.

The majority of people now are going to State Dock. They have a really nice lodge and restaurant. A lot of the rentals there are really new and nice. And make sure you walk the docks if you go, the boats are absolutely incredible!

Might I suggest you go to www.lakecumberland.com I'm on that forum too and there is so much info on that site, you'll spend hours researching and still not know what you want!

If you have questions still I shall try to answer them for you.

Git one O' dem houseboats.

We thought about that but since it'll just be the two of us, it would probably be too much. Also, we're bringing our bikes down (He's trying to talk me into riding instead of trailering mine).

Ohh ohh pick me pick me!! I've been boating down there for 10 years now.

West side!!

So west side would be the Jamestown area or the Wolf Creek Dam area?

We don't have much on our agenda, just riding the bikes around, eating, jet skiing or other water sport activity, and maybe some fishing. If we do fish what are the regulations for having to have a fishing license and what fishing gear/equipment should we have. We have some poles and crap that we use when we go down to my parents down in NC. Down there we'd fish for catfish and bass.

Jamestown/State Dock west, including Wolf Creek Dam, is all the west side.

I don't fish very much down there because it's so hard to catch a fish if you don't know where they sit. The lake is so deep that the fish sit deep, unless you are trolling or know where the fish are sitting chances of catching much are not going to be that great. Now if you're just chilling on the water drinkin some cold ones and toss the line out then hey it's all good, but don't expect a lunker. You can stop at the walmart or whatnot and get a 3 day fishing license, as far as I know that's all that is required to fish.

Remember this too...The entire lake and area's around it is all "dry" you can't buy alcohol. Legally you can't drink either. The water patrol are really lenient about it though as long as you aren't flaunting it, just keep the drinks in a coozie or those red plastic cups and no worries.

All of the marinas have some sort of rentals for jet ski's, pontoons, party boats, etc. I don't know prices at all, but I think State Dock would definitely be the best to deal with.